Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Jin-Mei homeworlds of Lirsautton III and V are called Chakaux and Chandeille respectively?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: NAVIES REQUEST CAPSULEER ASSISTANCE  (Read 7574 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: NAVIES REQUEST CAPSULEER ASSISTANCE
« Reply #15 on: 08 Oct 2014, 14:07 »

Making people go and fetch them wouldn't solve the issue unless you also prohibited contracting. People like Abidal have enough ISK to hire entire wormhole corps if they wanted to. They would then just contract it. So it would have to be a completely untradable item if you wanted to stop the wealthy people from taking it over.

My biggest problem with this is: in any semirealistic circumstance (yes, yes sci-fi game realism doesn't matter, etc.) the extremely wealthy would of course dominate any sort of event like this. So it doesn't bother me. This sort of thing is exactly what honorary memberships are for in real life. People with money or influence that don't do the actual work. (see honorary degrees, etc.)

That being said, I do see the point being raised. But considering how cheap the Libraries have become over the last forty-eight hours, I am wondering whether any of the trillionaires care enough about this to do anything. They could easily buy everything in Jita right now, but there is still thousands in there.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2014, 16:55 by Jace »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2014, 15:07 »

As it turns out, the RPer donations proved decisive. Either the trillionaires skipped this one, or they just under-bid.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2014, 15:26 »

Maybe they did not really see any tangible benefit out of this. Except market price manipulation, which I guess they did to some extent ?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2014, 15:38 »

I've seen a few posts on forums, about this research race, and the sentiment expressed is "lol at roleplayers, giving up isk like that".

which, in a way... If we look at what happened - people either gave up their things, for no isk, or bought things at higher than normal prices, for no reward. A lot of roleplayers kind of punished themselves, for the sake of this research race thing, and for what ? to change the order in which concept art is shown ? All four ships are probably going to be released at the same time anyway, so what was this whole thing for ?

Other than to troll the roleplay community ?

Just like those events a while back, about going into lowsec/nullsec to shoot those pirate laboratory things, that ended with a lot of players losing a fair bit of isk.

kind of looks a bit like there are some at ccp who see live events as a stick to beat roleplayers with, haha look at those stupid roleplay nerds, lets devise new ways to try and make them quit, hahahahaha.

:|
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2014, 15:46 »

Well, I did say I thought this thing was just flat out silly. Repeatedly. In many places.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2014, 16:53 »

I've seen a few posts on forums, about this research race, and the sentiment expressed is "lol at roleplayers, giving up isk like that".

which, in a way... If we look at what happened - people either gave up their things, for no isk, or bought things at higher than normal prices, for no reward. A lot of roleplayers kind of punished themselves, for the sake of this research race thing, and for what ? to change the order in which concept art is shown ? All four ships are probably going to be released at the same time anyway, so what was this whole thing for ?

Other than to troll the roleplay community ?

Just like those events a while back, about going into lowsec/nullsec to shoot those pirate laboratory things, that ended with a lot of players losing a fair bit of isk.

kind of looks a bit like there are some at ccp who see live events as a stick to beat roleplayers with, haha look at those stupid roleplay nerds, lets devise new ways to try and make them quit, hahahahaha.

:|

CCP does nothing, and people bitch that they do nothing. Then CCP does something, and people bitch that any prize that is offered isn't worthwhile. Or, in this example, bitch because they think they can't get the prize for themselves which obviously makes it a bad prize. Because obviously if you don't get something out of it it's a waste of time and money, right? A punishment, trolling, intentional griefing, harharhar.

I really don't get that belief at all. RP does not require rewards. At all. If you're RPing for a reward, then, quite frankly, you're doing it wrong.

Those of us who donated did so because having our imaginary faction win an imaginary research race is something we consider a better investment of our imaginary money than the various other imaginary past-times we are able to partake in in this imaginary universe. And guess what? Most of those of us who actually participated, enjoyed ourselves. Which is, you know, the whole point. You seem to think that we felt 'forced' to spend our money on this race, and that it's a 'punishment'. If it was, then we wouldn't have bothered (and a lot of people didn't and that's perfectly fine). But those of us who donated spent our money because we wanted to spend our money, because, once again, it's imaginary money. Everything we do in this game is a pointless waste of time because none of it has any purpose beyond personal fulfillment. It's up to us to decide what's a worthwhile investment and to make our own fun with what we do.

PIE collectively put about 20-25 billion isk into this race. I, for one, consider that a 20-25 billion well spent. That money normally just sat and collected dust in people's wallets or went towards ship replacements in an in-game war that has even less impact than this race. I personally bankrupted myself and sold off everything I had that was faction cruiser and above. And yet, instead of feeling punished, or mad for losing all of my money, I feel quite happy in the knowledge that my contribution actually helped my imaginary faction win something. Because, you know, I'm a roleplayer, and I find enjoyment out of using my imagination to add meaning to things that otherwise have none. This was, in fact, exactly the kind of thing that I want to be spending my money on. Helping my IC faction win an IC research race is a far better use of my money than buying a mission-running battleship or another 20 slicers for the pendulum war.

Also, no, they're not being released at the same time. In December only the Amarr ship is coming out, all the others will have to wait for later expansions. But frankly it wouldn't matter if they did come out at the same time because, personally, just having my faction win is more than enough reward.

Isk is imaginary money. Unless you can pull a Somer and find a way to monetize your in-game earnings in RL, there is no worthwhile use of it. Whether you are losing your money on ship replacements, on fuel costs, on manufacturing, or whatever, it's all just as pointless as losing it on a lore-building event. What matters is that you find fun in what you do with it.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 17:13 by Samira Kernher »

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2014, 17:20 »

I was going to respond to Louella/Miz, but Samira made all the points I would have.
So + 1 Samira.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 19:10 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2014, 19:35 »

Sami nailed it.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2014, 21:08 »

Thirding the '+1 to Sami' sentiment.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2014, 23:01 »

Recap for the unsubbed?

Amarr victor, yea?  Did they release stats for the factions? Any ic shenanigans?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2014, 23:10 »

Recap for the unsubbed?

Amarr victor, yea?  Did they release stats for the factions? Any ic shenanigans?

Amarr Victor.

Yes, they released stats.

Only major IC shenanigan was the independent movement by Guillome.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2014, 23:20 »

CCP does nothing, and people bitch that they do nothing. Then CCP does something, and people bitch that any prize that is offered isn't worthwhile. Or, in this example, bitch because they think they can't get the prize for themselves which obviously makes it a bad prize. Because obviously if you don't get something out of it it's a waste of time and money, right? A punishment, trolling, intentional griefing, harharhar.

Also, no, they're not being released at the same time. In December only the Amarr ship is coming out, all the others will have to wait for later expansions.

http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?17932-Dev-Blog-Anomalous-Materials-The-Research-Race-of-YC-116&p=1192537&viewfull=1#post1192537
http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?17932-Dev-Blog-Anomalous-Materials-The-Research-Race-of-YC-116&p=1192647&viewfull=1#post1192647

that's the attitude amongst some of the playerbase, that I was referring to. That's their impression of what happened - that people were scammed by CCP.

I didn't see anything about only the Amarr ship coming out in December. Where was this mentioned ?

Or is that just more of CCP's usual communication? where stuff is splattered across multiple twitters, livestreams, forumposts and it's easy to miss things that might change people's opinions ?
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2014, 00:30 »

Do relax a bit. I'm reasonably sure it's still not a crime to have differing opinions on CCPs various ventures, yeah? If someone considers this research race a scam and a waste of isk, then it's damn sure a valid viewpoint. I'll actually go so far as to consider it rather mindboggling that someone could spend isk on this and enjoy something that ultimately does nothing to push the story forwards even an inch, just like I can't for the life of me grasp the kind of mindset that is required to spend all their in-game hours mining. By all means, throw your isk at CCP and your gametime at asteroid belts, but I'll still reserve the right to have a different opinion on what constitutes a good CCP initiative.

This was not one of them.

With no advances in the storyline itself, the universe stagnates. This event did nothing to avoid that fate. CCP's got better things to do than one-shot "how much isk are people willing to part with" events that are frankly little more than hypemachines for new toys.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2014, 00:54 »

I didn't see anything about only the Amarr ship coming out in December. Where was this mentioned ?

The same livestream where the results were announced.

Do relax a bit. I'm reasonably sure it's still not a crime to have differing opinions on CCPs various ventures, yeah? If someone considers this research race a scam and a waste of isk, then it's damn sure a valid viewpoint. I'll actually go so far as to consider it rather mindboggling that someone could spend isk on this and enjoy something that ultimately does nothing to push the story forwards even an inch, just like I can't for the life of me grasp the kind of mindset that is required to spend all their in-game hours mining. By all means, throw your isk at CCP and your gametime at asteroid belts, but I'll still reserve the right to have a different opinion on what constitutes a good CCP initiative.

Likewise, I can't grasp how you can have fun with trading. The market game is something I've never understood. But different strokes for different folks.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with people not finding something like this event fun and choosing not to partake. I'm just tired of the constant complaining anytime anything happens. I, for one, am happy to have finally had a live event where I could participate in, as everything else that's been done since I started playing the game last year has been something I couldn't participate in. I'm sure Caldari Prime, the Caravanserai, Snipehunt, and Colelie were fun for the people who those events catered to, but all of those were less fun for me personally because I couldn't participate in any of them. This one I could, so I liked it.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2014, 01:00 »

The complaining does have a reason though. CCP has very finite resources and seeing them wasted on things that does nothing to advance the storyline is vexing. Enjoy what you enjoy, but it's a point of irritation to see the universe remain stagnant.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5