Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Polytheism in Gallente Culture  (Read 7986 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Polytheism in Gallente Culture
« on: 02 Jun 2010, 12:24 »

So, I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the character development section, but I took some time today to work out a pantheon of Gallentean deities that may still have an impact on the multi-culture of the Federation. This is an attempt at fleshing out the Gallente culture a bit more to give the Amarr something to bitch about and the Galfed xenophobes something to protect.

Also, I'd be interested to see how the Amar-lite religion within the Federation takes advantage of these deities by possibly suggest they are really all one true god, and he's got a plan. Or considering how half the population is Minmatar, how their culture blends and intermeshes with this idea.

If you like the concept here, feel free to use it or give some feedback.

==========================================

Egoithie - Goddess of Sloth, Apathy, Selfishness - Clever wordsmiths at the time of Luminaire's monarchial period often referenced this Goddess in subtle reference to the disparity of the peasant masses with the elite of society. In the space age, even amidst a democracy, the Gallente culture is still permeated by excess, expressed through art, architecture, and the vast machine that is Federation politics. This deity is rarely expressed in a kind light.

Jemiel - God of Light, Ambition, and Impetuousness - The impassioned behavior of rebellious teens and idealistic young adults are said to be attributed to the spell of Jemiel. Capsuleers are no exception to his charms, often attributed to bright-eyed rookies looking to unprotected regions of space for fortune and glory.

Désoaos - God of Chaos and Confusion - Commonly blamed for friendly fire and calamity on the battlefield, this deity is one of the more unpopular members of the pantheon. Amongst intellectuals, this god is often referenced as a positive element, serving to uproot commonly held misconceptions and inducing change where necessary.

Amauté – Goddess of Love, desire, beauty, and rebirth – commonly associated amongst capsuleers with the cloning process, and a subtle prayer before battle to ensure they return healthy and intact.

Remelac - God of Music and Luck – commonly used in Egonics™ advertisements, and often pursued for guidance to by gamblers and investors hoping for some foresight on their risks.

Geros – God of War – Commonly invoked by poets and writers during the Caldari/Gallente war to describe the brutality and senselessness of violence, Geros is often invoked (and understood) between Gallenteans predominantly through the negative aspects of conflict

Chareté - Goddess of Purity, fertility, and Hunting – Miners liken themselves to this deity when they extract choice deposits from a field, as opposed to simply stripping the field bare. Superstitious combat pilots trying to scan down targets or pursue war enemies might invoke Chareté for aid.

Botresse -  Goddess of Wisdom and Skill – Politicians, diplomats, and leaders are often found invoking this deity’s name in their campaigns and speeches. Amongst pilots, this Goddess is often received appreciatively when experience and preparation proves fruitful.

Renuit – Goddess of the Harvest and Sustenance – Commonly invoked amongst capsuleers to describe an abundance of something, be it minerals, salvage, or easy/opportune targets.

Esprosi - God of Celebration and Generosity – A favorite amongst crew bars and most social gatherings, this deity can be invoked to describe the altruistic or charitable behavior rarely found between pilots.

Morscutus – God of Death, Darkness, and Silence – Pilots often refer to space as the realm of Morscutus, a silent darkness that ultimately claims even the most careful pilots and crew. This deity is either invoked as a curse or a somber acceptance of lost friends and loved ones.

Ingenomine – God of Ingenuity and Adaptation – Often invoked by sports teams to describe unlikely victories or underdog favorites, this deity would also be credited with financial success or creative willpower overcoming tremendous hurdles.

Umille – Goddess of Family and Relationships – Commonly found amongst corporate banners and breakroom motivational posters, this deity engenders a uniting, or familial element amongst corporate or alliance pilots to rough out turbulent periods.

Voltennes – God of Speed, Theft, and Communication – Particularly popular amongst racers, interceptor pilots, and blockade runners, this God is also respected amongst pirates and unsavories for profitable extortion and ransacking of undefended moon structures. This deity is also a rather common name for communications or fast transit companies, and is generally appreciated for the arrival of good news. 

Obisus - God of Subtlety, Observation, and Perception - Reward comes to those who possess the patience to wait, and there are many cautionary tales written from ancient authors featuring this deity in winged form. Covert Ops pilots often paint this bird on their ship as a superstitious reminder, and intelligence agencies often depict a bird often described as Obisus in their logos.

Cevestis – God of Justice, Mercy, and Benevolence – Statues of this deity are often present outside local courthouses as a symbol of respect for fairness in the legal process. Generosity expressed from a position of authority or power are generally regarded as a positive sign from Cevestis, and the homeless (a common sight in the Federation) often invoke his name.

Tenaros - God of Agitation, Greed, and Revenge – While many attribute the God of Death to space, those looking for adventure and wealth often associate it with this deity. Modern culture has also related this deity with wormholes and even the EVE Gate, guarded greedily by this god against the foolishness of humanity. 
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 00:01 by Kaleigh Doyle »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Polytheism in Gallente Culture
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2010, 13:29 »

Looks very good, one deity i would split thought:

Ingenomine – God of Ingenuity, Adaptation, and Improbability

Improbability is more related with "chance". While ingenuity and adaptation to abilities or skills.

So a "chance/improbabilty" is more fitting to be differentiated from Ingenomine. We also require a god or goddess for gambling, so it fits nicely.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:17 »

Good point. I gave Remelac the gift of Luck.  Thanks for the input.

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2010, 14:45 »

I for one would love to make use of this.  Is this a final draft you think, or will there be edits?  If so, please let us know when it's complete.  Wouldn't want to be worshiping a defunct god afterall...

>.>
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Zag

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:03 »

Not sure, but the last time I checked Gallente Prime is listed as having somewhere around 18 moons in its orbit. Gallentean polytheism might take that into account, with each moon being associated to a divinity and the religion having an astronomical bent. (Oh no, Geros is waxing - we're all going to die!) Having their religion so closely intertwined with their astronomy might also explain the Gallentean's drive to reach the stars and bring their silly moon religion to the Caldari.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:08 »

This is awesome, but up until now I was using the Gallentean ship names as Gallentean gods, however, they were all aggression-related, so gets a bit limiting.

Gallente Prime has 17 moons. I think it would be cool to have 17 "gods" then, no? I count 14 there  :D

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:22 »

I'm open to other suggestions if you have ideas for more gods I'll add them. The idea here is that I'm not trying to show every god in their culture, just those that may be popular in spacebound and capsuleer (and gallente) based culture. There's plenty of room for people to elaborate and make their own.

But no I wouldn't count this as the final final draft per se, but I can't see myself making huge changes either.

Thanks for the interest.  :D

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2010, 15:28 »

Well... if you were to tie it to the moons, you'd only be missing 3 gods.  right?  17 moons?
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jun 2010, 16:51 »

Gallente Prime has 17 moons. I think it would be cool to have 17 "gods" then, no?

This is a fucking great idea.

Well played, Seriph.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jun 2010, 17:33 »

Derp, thanks Lillith. I would call these the "Gods of Garoun"...not "Gods of Gallente" cause that's a bit naff.

I like Kaleigh's list though, but it shouldn't be exhaustive. I would think there are 17 "main" gods, and the rest of the gods would be based on stars.

For example, from Kaleigh's list, Geros, Cevestis, Morscutus etc. would be one of the 17 gods. The other gods like Voltennes and Remelac would be based from stars, thus providing a non-exhaustive list so that everyone can make up their own. Unless those 14 there could be all of em
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 17:38 by Seriphyn »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jun 2010, 17:49 »

Well, if people want to make up their own (or conversely say 'mine are the real ones!') it is pretty easy to have a variety of churches with a common original set of beliefs, too.  :D

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jun 2010, 17:50 »

Great idea and great thread here.

I am curious, if Gallente Prime-based astrology is used as the basis for this tradition, surely the other planets in Luminaire would be involved as well.  So what sort of god or spirit represents Caldari Prime?  ;)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jun 2010, 19:11 »

The great Satan! Tempting the Gallente from the path of true hedonism to mere wageslavery!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vieve

« Reply #13 on: 02 Jun 2010, 20:26 »

The great Satan! Tempting the Gallente from the path of true hedonism to mere wageslavery!

This.

I mean, look what their influence might have done to the Miesian colonies.

Or rather don't, 'cause it'll make your eyes bleed.  At least it's made mine bleed, and I haven't finished taking a wrench to all of it yet -- so, trust me on this.

(Yes, this is a thank you, Kaleigh).

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jun 2010, 20:38 »

Interpretations would have certainly changed since the Gal-Cal War.  In the centuries leading up to Gallentean spacefaring and the discovery of human civilization on Caldari Prime, however, the astrological importance of Caldari Prime would probably have been as arbitrary as any real world astrological meaning.  Since this is being created from scratch, I think it ought to be a point of painful irony, just for fun.  

So, I recommend a minor god (or titan/whatever) represented astrologically in this pantheon by Caldari Prime whose principal domain is human loyalty.  The "faithful star", they might have called it long ago...

Edit: Then again, with Caldari Prime orbiting farther out than Gallente Prime, the ancient Gals would have observed it moving in a Mars-like retrograde pattern.  Perhaps its patron spirit would be better suited as a god of indecision (or betrayal?).  Still opportunities for irony there.  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2010, 21:02 by Ken »
Pages: [1] 2 3