Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Polytheism in Gallente Culture  (Read 7988 times)

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
Re: Polytheism in Gallente Culture
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jan 2015, 17:16 »

I hadn't re-researched anything since I wrote this. It was necroing on my hard-drive, so I decided to post it rather than let it die.  I'm happy to hear that CCP is continuing to work on this, but a quick search still doesn't bring anything up newer than 2012, though - ISD Sharae Kalani/Abraxas's Gallente Religious Practices, for example, is one of the pages I'd found and, while I didn't put Evelopedia credits in there per-se, articles from that era were certainly things I was considering. That particular one just mentions that there is some kind of belief system involving the 17, and furthers the idea that is repeated in Source that you can find a bit of everything on the homeworld. If you're saying that they have something newer nestled away somewhere, then I will gladly devour it! Material for EVE is rarely forthcoming, so it's easy to miss stuff.

I didn't really want to get into it too much, but or meta's sake I would hazard to say that this is more of a thought experiment on the Gallente mindset, than anything having to do with the religion, which I don't really discuss at all. I'm fairly certain that all concrete mentions were all found previously in Uraniae, (such as 'temples', and attitudes of ascetics) Kayleigh's writings, and in whatever articles I was able to find at the time.

This write up talks a lot more about the method through which literary analysis and discussion might be held in one, among many, varied styles (because variation is the name of the game for the Gallente) and to a lesser degree, how that evolved to be something as baffling to other races as it's said to be. The idea here is that one has to be intimately familiar with more than just this singular example to be fluent in consumption of Gallente media, let alone its discussion. I thought this was a fascinating facet to be written into the culture, that is probably often overlooked, because it's such a quirky little thing. It was a pretty interesting thing to turn from a single paragraph on pg.72 into a concrete example of one of the ways in which this could be done via some user-created material! I don't really think I made anything up rather than just applied one fact to another one, to study what could happen.

If you've already found something else in the interim that counters this though, I'm all ears.  As I said, since I wrote it, I never really looked into it since.

This is a mostly secular document about Gallente thought, rather than 'Gallente Polytheism' strictly. But since it draws the majority of its facts from this thread, I still thought this would be the right place to put it, for those interested in Kayleigh's version of things.
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2015, 08:12 »

you mean these?

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Society_of_the_ethnic_Gallente#Religion
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Gallente_religious_practices

Only the 2nd article has references to the 17 gods, in the polytheism section, however what i consider interesting, is the focus on modern overlap of several religion structures within the gallente culture.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:23 »

Yup, those are the ones!

I really liked the language part of that first one as well! It doesn't come up much because implant translators and things, but as it affects everyone else, I especially liked the logic behind Interstellar Gallente vs. Garouni.

I think the strongest argument for 'aggressive cultural export' is actually within the Federation's borders (conveniently overlooked by my article's author), such as to Intaki. To recognize a language as official but leverage it aside in practical terms is a nice touch by Abraxas, and a really common thing for governments to do - definitely something I grew up with. It can damage or wipe out cultures with surprising efficiency.

But that's an entirely different raging debate - The important facet for us RPers is the 'raging' part anyway :P
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge
Pages: 1 2 [3]