Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Polytheism in Gallente Culture  (Read 7987 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Polytheism in Gallente Culture
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2010, 21:40 »

I am thinking through how the Caldari ancestor/animism interacted with the Gallente pantheon.

Shortly following first contact:
Gallente:  The Gods of Gallente Prime match one of our moons.
Caldari: Oh?  Well we refer to them as the 17 pawns.

The interaction of the two cultures/religions/faiths, their different perspectives on their local planetary neighbors, and their common interstellar perspective would make for an interesting dynamic.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #16 on: 03 Jun 2010, 00:02 »

Alright, I added three more to the top and fixed up a couple others.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jun 2010, 06:39 »

This is so awesome, I wish I could have something creative and organized like that to contribute to player-driven fanon :(

Gallente Prime is quite an oceanic world, and I was going to suggest maybe associate gods with physical stuff (like the sea) BUT BUT the Gallente society is quite a "virtue-based" society, so having it on abstract stuff as opposed to material stuff makes more sense (also, far more original...god of the sea is a bit overdone).

The question is, is there an organized religion based on this? It would be very weak I imagine in a society run by secularism, but it could still be there. And what would it be called? "High Order of Garoun", "The Garouni Pantheon"?

Anothe point raised is the presence of other religions in the Federation, since in PF its hammered "diversity diversity diversity". While this is true, I would think that, say, if this is the main religion of the old Garoun, every other Gallente religion (excluding non-ethnic gallente ones) would have been based from this as a root (I imagine there would be hybrids too. Like Jin-Mei interpretation...hm, gives me idea). So religions and church orders based on each of the 17 and so on. If we say this is "one religion", we could be here forever, and it would be nice to have some sort of universal aspect of Gallente society for once!  :)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2010, 07:00 »

Another thought-- Impetus or some other entrepreneur would have definitely made this pantheon, or whatever it'll be called, into a popular media franchise by this point.  What sort of dynamic would exist between those who still have some belief/superstitions associated with the old gods and the large percentage of the society that sees them simply as elements of pop culture (i.e. "Clash of the Titans")?  Furthermore, there would likely have been some penetration of the Caldari zeitgeist by this pantheon.  I can imagine a series of NOH-produced adventure games based on Caldari-ized versions of these gods.

In order to survive the scientific revolution, secularization and commercialization of thought, commonplace spaceflight, and interstellar diaspora this tradition will have had to change significantly from its original form.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:42 »

Okay. So let's assume the Gallente have attempted to carry forward their moon religion to the Jin-Mei. Perhaps it might look something like this. Normally, Chinese language is a one word deal, so the below would be split into two words. For the sake of originality and distancing from "lolChina", I put the words into one. They look more badass that way. Unfortunately using "Spirits" and "Daemons" of various body parts in a Gallente equivalent context eliminates the possibility of using the same template for completely original gods and what have you. But here we go.

Also, since certain Gallente lunar gods possessed not-so-great "virtues", the Gallentean cultural deliverants decided to market them as "bad gods" instead, removing any positive attributes to them (such as Voltennes). I imagine each month gets a celebration of every spirit, while the 12th month has a celebration of them all. The daemons, meanwhile, have their eyes on every 2 months of the year.

----------------------------------------

The Eleven Spirits of Dé

Yùnfèn (Jemiel) - Spirit of the Driven Mind
Fate and destiny

Tuōxìn (Amauté) - Spirit of the Trusting Tongue
Trust and confidence

Fúgùn (Remelac) - Spirit of the Lucky Feet  
Luck and chance

Róngzūn (Chareté) - Spirit of the Honourable Hand
Honour and integrity

Zhìhuì (Botresse) - Spirit of the Wise Head
Wisdom and intelligence

Hézuò (Renuit) - Spirit of the Joint Shoulder
Cooperation and brotherhood

Císhàn (Esprosi) - Spirit of the Giving Heart  
Compassion and charity

Shēnsuō (Ingenomine) - Spirit of the Open Ear
Openmindedness and flexibility

Guīgǎn (Umille) - Spirit of the Loyal Arm
Loyalty and fealty

Qingjué (Obisus) - Spirit of the Watchful Eye
Perception and obversation

Ghènzyì (Cevestis) - Spirit of the Righteous Fist
Righteousness and justice

The Six Daemons of Gū

Dàilǎn (Egoithie) - Daemon of the Foolish Mouth
Stupidity and foolishness

Bùjué (Désoaos) - Daemon of the Indecisive Jaw
Indecision and uncertainty

Shìxiōng (Geros) - Daemon of the Aggressive Nail
Aggression and violence

Mòchén (Morscutus) - Daemon of the Silent Tooth

Apathy and dispassion

Tōuqiè (Voltennes) - Daemon of the Thieving Stomach
Greed and avarice

Fùbào (Tenaros) - Daemon of the Vengeful Palm
Revenge and retaliation

« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 09:16 by Seriphyn »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:46 »

Sweet. Casi can start calling them the "Moonies".

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jun 2010, 08:54 »

不错, Inhonores先生! 你会说中文吗?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:17 »

不错, Inhonores先生! 你会说中文吗?

No, not at all lol. A lot of the words I used are composed of two, one-syllable words, and multiple meanings. So I jumbled them up so it wasn't a direct ripoff. I'm surprised you can still say there is no mistake though :P

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:45 »

Good choices on the syllables then!  Not that it's even possible to make a mistake creating something like this, but 不错 really just means "not bad".  :)  If you wanted to reduce the "lolChina" aspect a bit further, try using Wade-Giles romanizations rather than Pinyin.  The tone marks and letters used in Pinyin scream, "This is Chinese!", whereas Giles has been out of common use for a while and isn't quite as obvious.

Zag

« Reply #24 on: 03 Jun 2010, 09:58 »

Furthermore, there would likely have been some penetration of the Caldari zeitgeist by this pantheon.  I can imagine a series of NOH-produced adventure games based on Caldari-ized versions of these gods.

I'm sure certain segments of Caldari society did not take kindly to the erosion of their traditional belief system by prophets dressed as entrepreneurs, pop culture masquerading as faith and all the poorly acted infomercials endorsed by a deity of choice. Assimilation is so much easier when even faith can be exported in brightly coloured shrink-wrap.

Moon Religion: Yours for only five easy installments of your cultural identity, Caldari.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jun 2010, 10:18 »

Precisely, Zag.  I see it as a chance to provide another detail to the Caldari case of cultural subversion by the Gallente and an ongoing grievance to justify the xenophobia.

The infiltration would probably be less overt than an infomercial-televangelist chimera, but I can easily imagine a stylized image of Ingenomine on a bottle of some universally popular Quafe sports drink.  Or consider a brand named after a god from this ancient pantheon (Nike, anyone?) that remains popular in the State even after falling out of favor in the Federation.  Common Caldari might come to assume the brand imagery was part of their own culture to begin with.  A citizen would have to be either quite the loyalist or somewhat well educated to see or care about the connection.

After all, who wouldn't like this guy...?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Zag

« Reply #26 on: 03 Jun 2010, 10:56 »

Yes, I was being over the top.

I just admire the concept of Gallentean's spreading their faith so to speak through the market, not through the pulpit.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2015, 21:38 »

I wanted to post this. Back in the summer, I came upon this thread and I loved the idea of it. I mulled about it, and several other posts about the subject, and wanted to write something up that brought forward some of my impressions of Gallente Prime culture after all the ruminating.

I think a specific thing like the content of this thread (and others like it) doesn't particularly intend to speak for the greater Federation's culture, but rather the culture that ultimately led to the Federation, and has since probably has very little to do with it. Developing more pockets of culture, either regarding Gallente Prime (Such as the Lycan Kingdom, which appears to still exist, much like England still has a queen) or anywhere else, can help underscore the Federation's fracturous nature. Not to mention aid in defining what makes 'ethnic Gallente' ethnic, rather than 'default' or 'unflavoured' Federation citizens (as opposed to picking Intaki or JinMei as established 'subraces'), which I think sometimes is the view from outside or for new players or even sometimes old ones. Like much EvE cannon, what's there is quite interesting, but vague as all get-out, and requires some very pointed rooting around to find.

I could probably write an equally-long essay about the document itself, its opinions, and what I meant by it, but I question what the use of that really is. ;p I welcome any thoughts, rejections, insight or questions on it. There was just wonderful work done on these initial thoughts by Seriphyn, Uraniae Fehmah and Kaleigh Doyle, that I felt compelled to keep them alive by reconstituting them with some of the newer information in the Source, and a passion for the Gallente homeworld, France and Antiquity, which I think has seen quite a bit of lull in favor of recent Americanization of Gallentenization :p

I made several very minor tweaks to the the gods, but I'll underscore that I loved this material. What great names~. I used an older, French-created Chinese romanization system, meant to be more easily pronounced by French speakers, just to make that more biased, and slightly more alien than Pinyin/Wade Giles for most readers. I otherwise left the Jin Mei stuff exactly as it was.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself. I hope it's something the community finds interesting, too.

The Garoun Lunaries PDF
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2015, 04:25 »

I forgot about this thread. It's rather nicely done, though most of what Kaleigh does in gallente world building sounds very gallente to begin with  8)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2015, 06:57 »

You should take into consideration that evelopedia now has some descriptions on gallente religions and beliefs....

The work Kayleigh did was awesome...but CCP departed a bit from that (but also incorporated some of it too though).
Pages: 1 [2] 3