Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'  (Read 19511 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'
« Reply #30 on: 07 Jul 2014, 02:40 »

You are not the first person to think of that. The trick, of course, it you have to sometimes venture into places like the Summit to get suitable new members for the exclusive RP clubs.  ;)

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jul 2014, 11:41 »

I think there's a clear-cut difference between being unable to say a character is possible / can act a certain way, and being clearly able to tell that the character in question breaks lore hard. If you wanted to play something outrageous like one Ni-Kunni twin who was separated at birth from his/her other Ni-Kunni twin who was raised by Gallente/Minmatar parents while the other was raised by blah blah blah child actor, movie star, stupid things like that? Fine, fine. If you can make it work, not overdo it, things of that nature, I'd actually like to interact with someone as outrageous as that.

It's already been said, and I don't like just bandwagoning, but I agree with the idea that some stuff is just... too wrong. EVE Gate travel, Earth? Let's not. Super mind-melting hyper lasers out of my eyes? Nah.

Creating new content as V said is important to furthering new plots of RP and to keep things moving on along. When someone or something just sits there, nothing interesting or found out, we get the Summit-fests where everyone's just fiddling around and asking about the weather, then suddenly it's all about slaying Gallenteans.
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 07 Jul 2014, 13:00 »

The EVE IP is far and wide and covers vast, vast differences in character and plot. 

It takes little effort to work within that hugely wide framework and try and create something interesting between people.

I think that's why some of these people get such a negative reaction from other RPers because it's like
"Hey, you've got this vast, interesting sci-fi playground to work with, and instead you want.... laser eyes and telepathy with space cats from Earth, got it....."

It reminds me of imaginary playground games as a child, 90% of the group plays together just fine, and there's always ONE kid who has to be special 'IM THE SUPER PERSON IM INVINCIBLE AND I SHOOT YOU ALL"
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2014, 13:02 by Silas Vitalia »

Dessau

« Reply #33 on: 07 Jul 2014, 13:06 »

...laser eyes and telepathy with space cats from Earth, got it...

Please don't tell me there are Kilrathi corps in EVE...

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 07 Jul 2014, 13:24 »

...laser eyes and telepathy with space cats from Earth, got it...

Please don't tell me there are Kilrathi corps in EVE...
...cause that would mean you're not the first with that idea and it might be copyrighted, so that I can't start it! :3

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jul 2014, 13:57 »

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2014, 09:48 »

On the subject of 'commanding from the bridge' ...

There is one major roadblock in regards to simply calling people out on it.
Clear Skies.

So many people ended up being introduced to EvE by one pilot J.Rourke and co, that even though it was an abstraction of eve, there are those who have come into the game with the preconception that Clear Skies was an accurate representation.

to the other end, i had been reading some old Anne McCaffery books before i initially started playing, and in my mind, as all we had back then was a portrait and our eggs, i was convinced that capsuleers were much like the 'brains' that ran the larger ships in her world....
Permanently sealed into those pods... ofc, i was wrong.

as for the simple 'doinitwrong' thing, i must admit, i've had quite a few people say that about Yuni in the past, most of them were simple enough to dismiss 'look she started in UoC' or 'Drones can't be played' etc... most quietened down a little while after Yuni became more visible.
It was certainly interesting to see how random people reacted to her on IGS.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2014, 11:54 »

Really there's 1 minute of CCP film that fixes the whole trapped in eggs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlSRI9uCDo8

People dont even need to be told to "read up" for that anymore.

I didn't read F-all when I started.  However I also started as very much a blank slate character other than being 'Khanid' and 'Zealot'.  I just took a different route from zealotry than the very pan-generic setting people on fire.  Turning the volume up on the song eventually stops making it sound cool and starts not only distorting the audio but making people around you annoyed and deaf.  So I went a different route for it that made sense with the Khanid being influenced by Caldari culture.

Of which I'd only seen being RPed and argued over.

A lot of it is absorption, followed by creation.  That is "a right path".  You could sit and absorb all the lore you like - create nothing and we're all sitting around going "Anyone wanna RP?".  We ALL wanna fucking RP or we wouldn't be roleplayers.

We spend more time squabbling about it than doing it.

Edit: to explain - " We ALL wanna fucking RP or we wouldn't be roleplayers."  - there are FAR MORE EVE players who've read the Lore in and out up and down and are still glued to thing for "RP reasons" than us.  They just don't ROLEPLAY.  They don't emote, they don't write backgrounds, etc etc.  There's the story, the game, and where they meet, and it is an indicental point of many to be playing besides pretending to actually BE Capsuleer #947269 of New Eden with life breath and a story of its own. 

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2014, 12:31 by Arista Shahni »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2014, 13:11 »

On the subject of 'commanding from the bridge' ...

There is one major roadblock in regards to simply calling people out on it.
Clear Skies.

So many people ended up being introduced to EvE by one pilot J.Rourke and co, that even though it was an abstraction of eve, there are those who have come into the game with the preconception that Clear Skies was an accurate representation.

to the other end, i had been reading some old Anne McCaffery books before i initially started playing, and in my mind, as all we had back then was a portrait and our eggs, i was convinced that capsuleers were much like the 'brains' that ran the larger ships in her world....
Permanently sealed into those pods... ofc, i was wrong.

as for the simple 'doinitwrong' thing, i must admit, i've had quite a few people say that about Yuni in the past, most of them were simple enough to dismiss 'look she started in UoC' or 'Drones can't be played' etc... most quietened down a little while after Yuni became more visible.
It was certainly interesting to see how random people reacted to her on IGS.

I was always perfectly fine with people doing beginner's mistakes. I was also perfectly fine with people RPing their capsuleer commanding from the bridge like Clear Skies if it's for some kind of parade or something that doesn't ask for much besides standing on a bridge.

I was not comfortable enough with rogue drone RP or whatever exotic and controversial people use to try and interact with them. Same thing for bridge commanders and the likes. I just tended to ignore them for most of the time so that everybody was happy.

When it starts to be more problematic is when you are interacting on the whole IGS, or RP scene, and for example someone comes up with "heh, I invented some revolutionary new technology that everyone in New Eden would surely benefit because it would be quite revolutionary ofc,", and that just because that someone or that group is part of friendly circles and has OOC relations, then it becomes perfectly ok and if you do what you can only do ICly : what is supposed to solve the whole matter everytime by calling the character a liar ICly, then it's all the other characters that suddenly get in league and jump on the bandwagon against you for purely OOC reasons, which basically are "The hell is wrong with you ? Can't you be a little more tolerant with other people's RP ?" where they would have said the exact contrary to the first random newcomer.

That's hypocrisy at its finest.

tldr EDIT : my point is just that people can come with whatever they want that breaks and violates *snip* PF as long as they are famous OOCly. They can do everything that is usually despised from everyone else without a blink. Otherwise they are dead meat for vultures, and their character will die first ICly for the greatest humiliation potential.

Welcome to Eve RP.

[admin]Havo wuz here.  Rule 3 is a thing.[/admin]
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014, 10:52 by Havohej »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2014, 13:47 »

Sometimes I'm not sure what's worse, smokescreening specific issues or calling them out.

Of course, we can't 'call anyone out' here. 

Either way this just leads to more backroom whispering and fragmentation of what very few active people actually exist, and ne'er the two groups shall  meet, save people who have been deemed tolerant/tolerable enough, for one reason or another, to drift from clique to clique.

Ansyolo

« Reply #40 on: 10 Jul 2014, 14:55 »

Sometimes I'm not sure what's worse, smokescreening specific issues or calling them out.

Either way this just leads to more backroom whispering and fragmentation of what very few active people actually exist, and ne'er the two groups shall  meet, save people who have been deemed tolerant/tolerable enough, for one reason or another, to drift from clique to clique.

Re-registered just to agree with this one post. A lot of people ask who's left in RP or why are there so few?

This post, and a lot of other good posts in this thread calling out the clique bullshit and other stupidity, is your fucking answer.

And with that, deleting again. Deuces.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jul 2014, 18:32 »

In my experience, there are too many people going 'LOL E_PEEN 3edgy5me' and other completely unsubtle thing jammed into IC talk shouting down people for the RP to ever advance into the serious, where actual characters and events can take place. 

Even if you are liam neeson putting on a performance of hamlet directed by george RR martin and gods gift to writing, you can't put on the show in an empty room.  you can't put on the show in a room full of people throwing tomatoes. 

so, you have private clubs and the like where that can actually go on, it makes perfect sense to do that.  They work perfectly for that but then you run into problems of exclusivity or cliquish behavior or w/e and there is less RP to go around simply because now not everyone is in one place.

throw in the average nerd and his/her personal view and bullshit and you get what we have now. 

hard answer is to maybe free up some of the cliques, be less derp, be less prepared to yell about something is being derp be less prepared to yell about someone yelling about derp being derp or people calling out derp as derp or calling out the people who call out...

lol jk, we should all biomass and start over in a new channel and new characters until that is shit too

tl;dr don't be shit

edit: but seriously the solution is probably just don't let it get to you and provide quality RP to other RPers.  I bet there will be more than a few who think like you.  probably more than the bads who 'ruin it for everyone else'
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2014, 18:35 by Ayallah »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #42 on: 10 Jul 2014, 20:35 »

People who are "famous" OOC are just as likely to get slapped around if they do something completely retarded and lore-breaking as someone who is not. What makes the difference in how that slapping occurs and where is the history of the supposed "offender" when it comes to their behavior and how they react to criticism or comments, whether they're constructive or not.

Someone who is consistently "3edgy5me" (as Aya put it) or displays symptoms of something best described as "Chronic Special Snowflake Disorder", is likely to get reamed because they're showing they haven't learned from past experiences, doubly so if they also have a history of reacting to feedback with ramming their fingers into their ear canals and screaming "lalalalalalalalalalala I can't heeeeeeeeear youuuuuuuuu" at the top of their lungs.

On the other hand, someone who has a history of generally not showing excessive amounts of attention-seeking or "special snowflake" behavior is more likely to get a gentle "hey, hold up a sec, that doesn't work". Same goes for someone who tends to respond positively to feedback.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:29 »

Oh we can, and I do. I got the Catacombs to prove it. :yar:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jul 2014, 05:27 »

Oh we can, and I do. I got the Catacombs to prove it. :yar:

Right there with you, bro. No really, I am.  :s
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11