Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'  (Read 19540 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: The Hubris of 'Doing It Right'
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jul 2014, 09:20 »

Sorry for the exaggeration, it was indeed not that much of course. It was to me mostly the most visible tip of the iceberg, where as you say some people get attached too much to their character and take blows as personal OOC failures where OOC and IC start to blur together, which is a common trait among all these other online communities where it's far worse. But it can also stem from something very specific to the Eve culture, which is basically the culture of the killboard, or what I call as such, which simply consist at winning because actual things are at stake.

What I meant is not that half of the time people quote eve wiki as a sledgehammer, but more that half of the time it was really tangible in the IGS essence that it was not characters speaking anymore, but their players, myself included (that last thing being something which I came to seriously hate). You don't have to be very bright to read and feel that some bad faith and tortured rhetorics and/or grammar was typical of OOC internet/gaming culture.

Well at least it was my experience over the years, and I am not sure that I really appreciated it, even if I still took part for a good time, but everytime I did it felt good when writing something, then mostly bad in the aftermath... :/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #61 on: 13 Jul 2014, 09:25 »

The Evelopedia has enough inconsistencies and re-edits, along with blatantly ooc information that no capsuleer could -possibly- know, that using it as a blanket IC resource can create some extremely awkward facepalming. 

Anyway there would be no 'evelopedia' in New Eden.  There would be a thousand of them across a thousand worlds and networks, and your fancy robot brain would search them all at the same time, and you would make some decisions based on weighing the various levels of bias.  The Matari galct-o-pedia and the Theology Council book of everything are going to have very, very different views and definitions and records of events. 

Still such things would would often make conversation terribly boring and useless though, neh?  It's another one of those things where it's wiser not to poke the PF too hard in that direction.   Use it for background to inform your creativity, never as a weapon unless you need to (politely), show someone that they might have the wrong idea about Fedos being a power source for their supercarrier.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 13 Jul 2014, 10:31 »

- Building on the above, the only confirmable IC source of information (when news articles are included). Anything someone decides to worldbuild in RP can potentially be ignored by furiously screaming "BUT ITS NOT IN THE EVELOPEDIA!"

That can be fixed.  Players can still edit parts of Evelopedia, just not "PF" components.

If someone is world-building, then creating a wiki article about it and working to given it the proper spin can be a good exercise.  This can however easily back firer, but in most instances the worldbuilder is the expert on the idea.

An Evelopedia entry regarding Auever Beach, which adds more detail is a good thing.

Even when omniscience exists, someone/something has to chronicle the knowledge for it to be widely accessible.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 13 Jul 2014, 11:29 »

That can be fixed.  Players can still edit parts of Evelopedia, just not "PF" components.

If someone is world-building, then creating a wiki article about it and working to given it the proper spin can be a good exercise.  This can however easily back firer, but in most instances the worldbuilder is the expert on the idea.

An Evelopedia entry regarding Auever Beach, which adds more detail is a good thing.

Even when omniscience exists, someone/something has to chronicle the knowledge for it to be widely accessible.

I wish this was an easy answer; I actually saw someone recently argue that a page without a "CCP approved canon" tag was irrelevant, even though said page was solely composed of logs from a CCP Dev Actor at a live event.

Still such things would would often make conversation terribly boring and useless though, neh?  It's another one of those things where it's wiser not to poke the PF too hard in that direction.   Use it for background to inform your creativity, never as a weapon unless you need to (politely), show someone that they might have the wrong idea about Fedos being a power source for their supercarrier.

This is what I see people do the vast majority of the time. Thankfully.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #64 on: 13 Jul 2014, 11:57 »

- Building on the above, the only confirmable IC source of information (when news articles are included). Anything someone decides to worldbuild in RP can potentially be ignored by furiously screaming "BUT ITS NOT IN THE EVELOPEDIA!"

Exactly this, combine with the fact that even with super cyberbrains, the capsuleer still has to consciously look something up means that you can easily deal with the omniscience issue. We live in a widely connected world IRL, and people do frequently call up wikipedia articles in debates on various topics. There's no reason for the information not to be there ICly, denying something exists is just silly. Kaztropol probably has its own government websites. Its easily the best choice in the vast majority of cases to not go "you're lying/that's impossible!" and just go along with whatever the other character says. You have no reason to doubt them in regards to what they say the universe is, its a fucking universe, its huge. Telling someone their made up stories aren't true is sort of...just what is the point? None of it is true, New Eden doesn't actually exist. It seems to me to be a lot of poking holes in other people's fun. If something bothers you, don't interact with it. There are people roleplaying totally different universes on tranquillity, and I think that's something we as a community need to fucking get over. There are half a million people in this game, we're not all going to be having remotely similar experiences. The fact that we have as much coherence as a community as we do, in the context of the official lore of the game, really is something fairly impressive. We should focus on not getting our panties twisted when people do things we don't like, and focus on promoting the things we do like.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 13 Jul 2014, 15:02 »

I need point out -- there WAS quoting of EVElopedia -- specifically "COULD a Capsuleer KNOW THIS" - ie was it *actually in game information*. 

As it involved me, I raged SO FUCKING HARD poor CCP Logibro got dragged into the convo as he had the unfortunate issue of being online and not AFK in channel at the time.

For the record -- I don't see it happening anymore.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jul 2014, 15:35 »

So. Is there a boundary that people shouldn't cross in what they make up? If so where does it lie?

Back in the day EM had a corp join that maintained they where all, in fact, kitsune. As in non-human fox critters. Despite their pilot ID pictures showing regular humans.

On the other hand I gather it is polite to overlook the records of Ammatar loyalist pilots being trained in the Republic, despite it being impossible for a Minmatar pilot to graduate anywhere else with the game as it currently stands.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jul 2014, 15:58 »

I don't think we can definitively say "The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!" without falling back on the ridiculous extremes (alien characters, terrans, close relatives of canon characters, etc.) because each player will have their own way of viewing the EVE universe.

We can issue suggestions on what to avoid, because they tend to promote drama-derp rather than useful RP, but ultimately there will always be someone who will disagree on what is 'right' or 'wrong' to do (silly extreme examples as aside).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #68 on: 13 Jul 2014, 16:23 »

On the other hand I gather it is polite to overlook the records of Ammatar loyalist pilots being trained in the Republic, despite it being impossible for a Minmatar pilot to graduate anywhere else with the game as it currently stands.

That's really one of the biggest thorn in the side I had to deal with, which forced me to find other ways to explain it. Far stretched ways that do not sound really good, but at least can get past the direct issue...

You are born Ammatar. You are not deemed rich or noble enough to get accepted into an Amarr capsule school ? Why would the Republic refuse you ? It has always been stated that Empires were literally craving for capsule compatible people at first. The Republic maybe even more than any other, being the young and threatened state that it is. That it is a feat of pride to for more and more capsuleers for your empire. And then, when your former ammatar capsuleer graduates from your minmatar school, with only minmatar contacts, minmatar skills and ships, will he just leave to get back into the Empire, or Ammatar space ? Perhaps, but the chance is low, imo. He might also not get perfectly well received at home after that too.

Well, that's not perfect, that's the best I could find. But I don't think it breaches PF.

However now that I think of it, I should have created a brainstorming thread to find solutions for that kind of things, and try to find good, believable explanations.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #69 on: 13 Jul 2014, 16:43 »

Back in the day EM had a corp join that maintained they where all, in fact, kitsune. As in non-human fox critters. Despite their pilot ID pictures showing regular humans.

Bad things happen when environmental activists release test animals from illegal deep space laboratories.

Did they learn nothing from the mutated furriers?
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2014, 16:45 by Vieve »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #70 on: 13 Jul 2014, 19:32 »

According to Japanese folklore, Kitsune are shapeshifters and the way to smoke them out is by siccing dogs or tofu at them. Dogs because dogs can smell them and they fear dogs, and tofu because they are addicted to the foodstuff. Also, they do not go around announcing themselves as Kitsune, so you can argue they are not acting IC regardless.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #71 on: 13 Jul 2014, 21:42 »

I ran into a fairy once.

No, not a Gallente body-mod.

And actual fairly that /emote hovered and flew.

Needless to say, Arista would never admit to maybe wanting to try some of the drugs that capsuleer was on.

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #72 on: 13 Jul 2014, 22:28 »

I ran into a fairy once.

No, not a Gallente body-mod.

And actual fairly that /emote hovered and flew.

Needless to say, Arista would never admit to maybe wanting to try some of the drugs that capsuleer was on.

Are you sure Arista wasn't the one on the drugs?

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:34 »

Yup.  I gently tried to correct her IC.  Then I flat asked her ((ooc)).  And she inissted she was a fairy Queen.  Proper with magic and wings.  After asentence or two of magic not exsting in eve and being told "I can do what I want', she shook my head (IC) sadly to the person I was with and shrugged, as the poor girl was obviously high as a kite.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #74 on: 14 Jul 2014, 05:07 »

TS-F once had someone apply who seemed okay until she showed us the character she ACTUALLY wanted to apply with.  It was Sansha Kuvakei's daughter, and he had set her out into the world to go learn of the way of other countries, over breakfast no less!

Needless to say we did not let her in once she provided us with that backstory.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11