Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Fanfest] Eve Valkyrie  (Read 1938 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
[Fanfest] Eve Valkyrie
« on: 01 May 2014, 12:00 »

If you're not watching the stream, or there, this just happened.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

So yeah, Valkyrie is going to have some pretty solid acting talent. She was seriously passionate when talking about the game (lots of swearing), so she certainly seems keen!  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
Re: [Fanfest] Eve Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2014, 12:49 »

Yep, I went "frak me"  :eek:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2014, 12:56 »

Am I the only one to find that actress mediocre as hell ?  :P

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2014, 13:47 »

Yes.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2014, 14:14 »

In the first of the major announcements for EVE Valkyrie, O'Brien announced that EVE Valkyrie would be developed using Unreal Engine 4, shifting away from Unity which was used to make the prototype shown throughout 2013. In addition to this announcement, O'Brien shared a bit about the lore CCP developed for Valkyrie. As amateur scholars of mythology may note, the word "Valkyrie" comes from the mythology of the Nordic people. A Valkyrie was a being sent by Odin to choose which warriors lived or died in battle. Translating this to EVE's lore, O'Brien explained that the player controlled pilots in Valkyrie will be fighter pilots who had nearly died. Taken from the brink of death, their consciousness was transferred to capsuleer-style clones by the Guristas, becoming "immortal privateers." Under the leadership of the first Valkyrie, Rán Kavik (voiced by Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff), the fighter pilots eventually split off from the Guristas and became their own pirate entity. The role of Rán is also that of a tutorial guide much like Aura in EVE, as well as providing mission briefings and status updates.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2014, 20:05 »

totally dislike the lore to be honest  :ugh:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2014, 22:17 »

Not to be... nit picky but 'capsuleer style clones'?

da fuq?

Aren't immortal New Eden clones that pilot spaceships.... regular capsuleers?

This game would be much cooler if it represented a bit more of the grind of the mortals, every time you died you'd just respawn as another mortal pilot launching from the same carrier or something...

I was obviously wrong, but I thought this game would be about the space 'grunts' that live and die flying among the capsuleer space battles, which would be a very neat perspective.  Every eve game doesn't have to be about immortal beings with the newest technology...  :roll:

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2014, 01:25 »

I always assumed that this was a re-purposing of the NIS implant, possibly with additional (but less invasive) neural augmentation allowing fine control of the fighter craft that are their tools of trade.  The NIS is certainly less restrictive than the standard capsuleer implant set (which seems to represent very early Jovian ship integration technology - the cloning tech merge seems to be emergent and immortality is certainly a byproduct of design and engineering, not original technology according to what lore there is). 

However, the NIS isn't awfully job-specific - it keeps your 'identity' intact after the destruction of the current physical 'host' while neatly sidestepping the issue of 'multi-cloning' by dint of its superior firmware.  In the same way Amarrian dropsuits demand the implantation of a 'hydra-graft' membrane, I thought that any 'augs of the job' could be implanted into a Valk pilot - so long as they didn't directly connect to the poorly understood NIS implant itself (locking out the kind of whole system 'living ship' style of control a capsuleer can have due to their more understood brain configuration). 

Looks like marketing got dibs on the lore, hopefully the lore team will get a crack at it as it moves beyond pre-alpha.  Though they did their job with the casting - certainly a crowd pleaser and a personal anchor point for how I envisage the cocky, unafraid of death fighter jock of space types. 

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2014, 02:24 »

I'll point out that quote comes from The Mittani.com and is likely not totally accurate. I would wait for the official CCP explanation and then start waving pitchforks. :)

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2014, 02:31 »

I'll point out that quote comes from The Mittani.com and is likely not totally accurate. I would wait for the official CCP explanation and then start waving pitchforks. :)

Good call.  I could have sworn that the NIS (dust) implant was mentioned previously.

Joshua Foiritain

• Serpentis Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Coreli Corporation Mainframe
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2014, 06:28 »

I liked how fake and awkwardly forced her presentation clip was.  :lol:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2014, 10:17 »

I liked how fake and awkwardly forced her presentation clip was.  :lol:

To be fair, voice acting is very difficult compared to regular acting where there is no body language to fit your voice.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2014, 10:53 »

Starbuck gotta eat!

Desiderya

« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2014, 11:16 »

I think he meant the part where she talked to the fans, which was a weird clip. ;) Liked the voice acting, though, as much as you can say after twenty seconds.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2014, 11:20 »

Seconding that on the lore.

I'm no sure why it would have been so painfully horrible to just have respawns and say "oh yeah, you're actually different people." Going out and dying repeatedly would help reinforce the "life is cheap" element EVE has had going for a while. Failing that, I'm sure a less awkward explanation could have been come up with then MOAR IMMORTALS.

Random aside, was anyone else surprised that the first fighter they showed off was some kind of Amarr/Caldari hybrid? It looked awesome as hell, but as soon as I read "Guristas" I was expecting Amarr/Gallente.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2014, 11:23 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2