Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alternative Factions  (Read 6832 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Alternative Factions
« on: 28 May 2010, 21:25 »

I wanted to start a thread to discuss alternative factions people might participate in (or even start). This would be beyond the main Pirate and Empire groups.

Not so much sub-factions of the big ones (Ishukone, rather than State, for example - might be good for another thread) but rather independents (Syndicate, EOM, Khanid, even smaller?), or ones people make (or made) up entirely themselves. If you wanna discuss in depth a particular sub faction, please feel free to start a thread about it seperately, too.  :D

If this thread spawns a couple of other threads, I would call it successful.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Alternative Factions
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2010, 23:19 »

The Khanid Kingdom, Ammatar Mandate, Syndicate, Thukkers, and SoE all fall into this category, but unless I'm mistaken each of them has enjoyed at least some representation in the EVE RPosphere (new term?) and several seem to have dedicated, if small, followings.

Also, EoM, as you mentioned.  ORE comes to mind.  Mordu's.  Rogue drones?  Of course, Free Intaki a la ILF.  Information dealers like Nikita Alterana's new InOps corp.

Some brainstorming on new splinter group ideas: new and exciting forms of Amarrian apostasy, the Amarrian church within the Republic, alternative interstellar police force, radical environmentalists, cults of personality, the free (and aggressively investigative) press, boiler room group out to crash markets for fun and profit.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2010, 03:24 »

For some reason i always felt somewhat attracted to doing a surviving splinter of the Lazari Dromitus, a small piratefaction that got either totally destroyed by the republic or scattered.

From Firetail description:

The Firetail is modeled off a fighter frigate known as the Shamrock, a design used by a small, now-extinct pirate faction known as Lazari Dromitus. The blueprint found its way into the hands of Matari military forces after a raid on Lazari Dromitus's headquarters succeeded in killing its leader, thus beheading the organization and scattering its remnants to the four winds. It has since been improved upon and upgraded, and the Firetail is now a mainstay in most Republic Fleet patrols.

The above is as far as i know the only mention about them in Eve.

We also have the ecco terrorists/fighters from the lvl 1 furrier mission, various rebel groups and such. All ot those are mentioned in just one misssion/missionseries mostly.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 05:19 by Kaldor Mintat »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2010, 05:17 »

Astropolitan Front was (supposed to be, at least) a corp of political thugs and demagogues working to incite CONCORD into tearing itself loose from the Empires and establishing its own exclusive hegemony in extraplanetary inner cluster space.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2010, 05:29 »

There is also Zor's group The Seven and also a famous merc family mentioned a few of the missions.

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2010, 05:49 »

Achura independence movement. Has been tried not sure if there's any life left in it...

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2010, 07:18 »

I've always wished there was some Syndicate RP corporation, portraying a group of capsuleers working for a City-Station chief.

Would be interesting to interact with them.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2010, 16:21 »

Achura independence movement. Has been tried not sure if there's any life left in it...

Was met with too much resistance to keep the fun in it and retain members. IIRC Jen and Blake are still doing the YTZ thing but not actively pursuing the independant Achur thing. Also, I forgot to pay the alliance bill.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2010, 23:17 »

I have always been intrigued by Friends of Nature (FON) which is an environmental preserving group  that you encounter in the Gallente high sec COSMOS constellation.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2010, 08:23 »

A number of terrorist groups such as the Bloody Hands of Matar, Brothers of Freedom, etc could be considered 'alternative factions' and have enough members running around to claim some kind of independence. The Cult of Tetrimon have survived their banishment long enough to potentially represent a more "evolved" kind of mini-faction due their long period of independence.

There are potential survivor groups, remaining True Citizens or descendants of Immensea for example, either carrying on their legacy or banding together simply to benefit from mutual support in a hostile cluster.

In some cases geographical, political, or other differences make part of an organization (e.g: a colony, a monastery, a station, a division, a department) hold such a greater concern for it's own members and their shared plight than the rest of the organization to effectively make them a faction, institutionalised, rogue, or otherwise.

No doubt there are independent corporations, families, and communities out there making their own way. From the corporation that's looking to dodge empire labour laws by living off the books to the small asteroid colony who bought themselves from their parent corporation and now work as a community surviving on import and export.

There are entire sections of space colonized during the clusters gold rush period, and likely since, that are largely independent of the empires. Leaving endless room for lone colonies on the brink, coalitions between neighbouring worlds, warlords, kingdoms, pirates, and businesses.

Not to mention the myriad places people settle and develop into factions, the cracks in society, the less well administrated worlds, travelling caravans (besides the Thukkers), anywhere that non-mainstream thought can set down roots and form cults, gangs, lobbyists, etc. Even the separation of the upper class of society, or even the ruling class, can lead to them forming their own ideologies that in time become factions.

The possibilities are limited only by your definition of "faction" and your willingness to explore something a little unusual.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2010, 09:06 »

The Sebiestors also have a nomadic tradition, and I'd surmise the Vherokiors do, too. No reason that some of those nomadic groups couldn't have evolved into something somewhat apart from everyone else, too. :)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2010, 11:28 »

In some cases geographical, political, or other differences make part of an organization (e.g: a colony, a monastery, a station, a division, a department) hold such a greater concern for it's own members and their shared plight than the rest of the organization to effectively make them a faction, institutionalised, rogue, or otherwise.

No doubt there are independent corporations, families, and communities out there making their own way. From the corporation that's looking to dodge empire labour laws by living off the books to the small asteroid colony who bought themselves from their parent corporation and now work as a community surviving on import and export.

There are entire sections of space colonized during the clusters gold rush period, and likely since, that are largely independent of the empires. Leaving endless room for lone colonies on the brink, coalitions between neighbouring worlds, warlords, kingdoms, pirates, and businesses.

Not to mention the myriad places people settle and develop into factions, the cracks in society, the less well administrated worlds, travelling caravans (besides the Thukkers), anywhere that non-mainstream thought can set down roots and form cults, gangs, lobbyists, etc. Even the separation of the upper class of society, or even the ruling class, can lead to them forming their own ideologies that in time become factions.

The possibilities are limited only by your definition of "faction" and your willingness to explore something a little unusual.

Kaito, this is very much the kinda stuff I was looking at. I mean, there are so many possibilities for groups at nearly every scale and level. Did you have some examples of stuff people might use? I'll try to come up with some myself.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2010, 18:53 »

Order of Tetrimemnon (or however it's spelled, I usually pronounce it, "Tetrimon") for the Amarr.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vieve

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2010, 20:50 »

Even the separation of the upper class of society, or even the ruling class, can lead to them forming their own ideologies that in time become factions.

Part of the storywork I did on the Gruesome Threesome involved their having roots in two sub-factions of Gallente culture: 

1) the Garouni Remnants - what was left of the noble class of Garoun after the Empire went south, and
2) the "Old Meritocrats" - Gallente who entered into business and social partnerships with Caldari during the expansion prior to the first war, and supported their side during that conflict.   A number of the more radical ones wound up in prison/dead, others went into exile (figured it was a decent explanation for the random Gallente agents who turn up in Spacelane Patrol's roster, among others :P), but the majority remained in the Federation.   Hmm.  I had a more detailed writeup of these guys in my files, but it looks like the Penguin of Computer Upgrade might have eaten it.  Dex, you wouldn't happen to still have a copy of it?  It'd be in your Chatsubo mail.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2010, 21:12 »

Also, one could feasibly regard each Syndicate station as at least a sub-faction.

Each Syndicate station is an autonomous entity, but they cooperate on security and information issues.

It might prove interesting to try to spin out the implications of that setup...
Pages: [1] 2 3