Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alternative Factions  (Read 6830 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Alternative Factions
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2010, 22:49 »

Also, one could feasibly regard each Syndicate station as at least a sub-faction.

Each Syndicate station is an autonomous entity, but they cooperate on security and information issues.

It might prove interesting to try to spin out the implications of that setup...

I rather depend on each (or at least some) Syndicate stations being their own microcosm of the entire cluster (with perhaps different proportions and power structures, but still, quite a mix) for the Syndicate Files stories.

I'd actually been thinking about it a lot, because I make up quite a few little groups for the current story (The Relic).

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2010, 21:20 »

Did you have some examples of stuff people might use?

Many survivors of the empire of thinkers and philosophers crushed in Feythabolis by the Angel Cartel found themselves operating within the cartel or enslaved to it after the war. The 'Feythabolis Few' and their descendents may be torn between the desire to bring down the cartel and the desire to make lives for themselves, but all are part of a tight network. Some are pilots, some are home-makers, some are in the higher levels of the organization, and some shine shoes with open ears. What they salvaged of their traditions and culture is important to them, as is their history. That and a hatred, passed down at mothers knee, of the Angel Cartel.

Harad's Shield are a military splinter faction from the Imperial Navy all members of which, having fled the field of battle, can never return home. Originally forming around the fleet commanded by Harad Kador, who personally led a valiant rear guard effort to allow his forces to retreat from a devastating heretic ambush, Harad's Shield seek out their fellows and fight the enemies of the Empire. In time their existence has become a poorly kept secret that remains one due only to a tradition that for centuries has had every official report made regarding the group classified with no one quite sure why. Though the reports are gone the rumours remain and those who come home to their families and empire saved from defeat by an unknown armada of Amarrian design often offer up a prayer in the hope that someday Harad and his followers will find redemption.

The colony on the world dubbed Lufuris was colonized by Caldari and Gallentean settlers who went missing in action shortly before the war. When conflict broke out priorities shifted, the search was called off and, thanks to the disruption and change in government, never restarted. The spirit of co-operation between the stranded colonists led to team oriented and eventually corporate structure overseen by a democratically elected government. Having lost little in the way of knowledge and skills in recent times the people of Lufuris became able to travel the stars once more. Sadly the world they left behind is gone and they find their homeland divided and at war with itself.

Only Nefik wanted them. The lost people, those who played and lost and those who just got played. The lowest rung of Caldari society, the unemployed, the disgraced, and the deficient thought they had nothing left until Nefik. Nefik went by many names and offered many things but for most, in time, it was something they thought they'd lost forever: the pride of doing valued work. Somewhere between the back-alleys of Toril and the slums of New Sorat Nefiks following had become an army. This wouldn't be quite so troubling to those who have begun piecing things together if it weren't for the fact that Toril and New Sorat aren't in the same region of space.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2010, 22:49 »

there was some group I thought I remembered hearing about a while back called Black Spiral Dancers, and I couldn't remember where I saw them, just that I was pretty sure they were from eve and had a pretty kick ass sounding name.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2010, 02:38 »

Based on existing resources:
Quafe-affiliates (most popular single product in EvE?)

De novo:
Caldari-Gallente 'masonic-style' orders (cross-racial), related to secret small-scale agreements made during the Caldari-Gallente war.
Descendants of an explorer family.
Multitarist revolutionaries (similar to communism, but in space and from all races)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2010, 03:58 »

there was some group I thought I remembered hearing about a while back called Black Spiral Dancers, and I couldn't remember where I saw them, just that I was pretty sure they were from eve and had a pretty kick ass sounding name.

The only Black Spiral Dancers I know of where/are a renegade werewolf tribe from the first incarnation of the tabletop RPG Werewolf. Having been corrupted by it's agents they served the spirit of entropy, the Wyrm, with the destruction of Gaia and her realm as their goal.

Of course given that the publishers of that game are now a part of CCP it's possible that they've recycyled the name, but I doubt it.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jun 2010, 16:21 »

Temko Mercenaries. I don't have any PF to cite but they are a bunch of Gallenteans working for Wiyirkomi or however you spell it, in the Caldari COSMOS area of Gallente space. How you would find any canon on them is beyond me though.

Also, some of you probably remember those weird Medusans or whatever they were called that hate the SOE and fly stealth bombers exclusively. Not sure what they were about either.

Vieve

« Reply #21 on: 08 Jun 2010, 17:14 »

Temko Mercenaries. I don't have any PF to cite but they are a bunch of Gallenteans working for Wiyirkomi or however you spell it, in the Caldari COSMOS area of Gallente space. How you would find any canon on them is beyond me though.

There are also the Cyber and Psycho Angel folks running around in Ani (the Minmatar COSMOS area).   I wouldn't doubt there's a writeup somewhere.  Myyona?  You there?  Did you look at these guys at one point?

Vieve

« Reply #22 on: 08 Jun 2010, 17:17 »

Caldari-Gallente 'masonic-style' orders (cross-racial), related to secret small-scale agreements made during the Caldari-Gallente war.

While I didn't incorporate 'masonic-style' anything into it, I've played a fair bit with a Civire (mostly) - Gallente mafia that quietly runs at least one of the habitable planets in Mies.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 08 Jun 2010, 17:24 »

The Illoren too, since I mentioned those Medusan weirdos. It would be nice to see some serious aurora hounds post up all those little splinter groups that showed up at events.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #24 on: 08 Jun 2010, 22:08 »

There are also the Cyber and Psycho Angel folks running around in Ani (the Minmatar COSMOS area).   I wouldn't doubt there's a writeup somewhere.  Myyona?  You there?  Did you look at these guys at one point?

cyber angels? Do link
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 08 Jun 2010, 22:43 »

My friends and I have a small alt alliance <Sewn Together Wrong> that we have a lot of fun with.

A while back when w-space was first introduced there was an EVE news article about small cults believing that Heaven could be found through wormholes, so we decided that perhaps we might believe Hell could be found the same way.  :twisted:

I had the idea for a 'left hand path' demonic cult ever since I started playing EVE, however, I haven't been able to find any major or minor groups in the PF that really fulfill this other than references to things like Molok The Deceiver. I figure that with the Amarr Empire's extreme fundamentalist stance on heresy, there might be some straight up sacrilegious groups out there who worship the opposite of the Amarrian God, unlike EOM or Blooders who don't venerate Hell.

To outsiders, our group claims to simply wish to show people pain and suffering to prepare them for eventual eternal damnation, but behind closed doors, I figure there's quite a bit of full blown demon worship. In true evil style, our own members don't always get along with each other, often plotting against one another, but religion and thirst for power usually make us work together enough to keep us from killing each other.

Sure we occasionally partake in network TV drama style RP, but we have a fun time and we get some nice pewpew.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2010, 22:47 by Kazzzi »

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jun 2010, 05:59 »

The Khanid Mashtori (I don't know if they "technically" qualify.

They are a group of elite bounty hunters that answer only to the Khanid lords etc.

I actually have made a corp based around them recently, but due largely to alot of RL commitments I haven't been able to develop them much, and as its stands I think I will be holding out as a one man show for now.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jun 2010, 11:33 »

Also these small things like "doing it wrong". Caldari dissidents wanting democracy. Gallente royalists. Amarr megacorps. Religious Minmatar. There could also be potential for "international" co-operation. Say, your political faction in the Brutor Tribe does support the creation of tribal aristocracy, and you meet with Caldari and Gallente royalists. Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar worshipping together in their new church. Cluster-wide multinational megacorps. Amarr activists working with Caldari dissidents to free slaves. (Shorter route to the State due to the highway gate.) And so on.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jun 2010, 17:55 »

Also these small things like "doing it wrong". Caldari dissidents wanting democracy. Gallente royalists. Amarr megacorps. Religious Minmatar. There could also be potential for "international" co-operation. Say, your political faction in the Brutor Tribe does support the creation of tribal aristocracy, and you meet with Caldari and Gallente royalists. Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar worshipping together in their new church. Cluster-wide multinational megacorps. Amarr activists working with Caldari dissidents to free slaves. (Shorter route to the State due to the highway gate.) And so on.

These are great. I especially like the idea of a Gallente faction trying to revive the old empire, seeking heirs, forming a legitimate lobbyist front, reminiscing over the times before all those other inferior races polluted Gallentean purity... Lot of potential there for interesting conflict oriented RP.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2010, 21:53 »

I wanted to start a thread to discuss alternative factions people might participate in (or even start). This would be beyond the main Pirate and Empire groups.

Not so much sub-factions of the big ones (Ishukone, rather than State, for example - might be good for another thread) but rather independents (Syndicate, EOM, Khanid, even smaller?), or ones people make (or made) up entirely themselves. If you wanna discuss in depth a particular sub faction, please feel free to start a thread about it seperately, too.  :D

If this thread spawns a couple of other threads, I would call it successful.

KPV's recruiting for all of the Khanid Kingdom fetishistic needs people out there might have.

The fun bit is trying to figure out where the line is drawn between Caldari and Amarr: Have the subjects begun to see the Kingdom as more important than the King, for instance?
Pages: 1 [2] 3