Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alternative Factions  (Read 6831 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Alternative Factions
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2010, 16:21 »

Also these small things like "doing it wrong". Caldari dissidents wanting democracy. Gallente royalists. Amarr megacorps. Religious Minmatar. There could also be potential for "international" co-operation. Say, your political faction in the Brutor Tribe does support the creation of tribal aristocracy, and you meet with Caldari and Gallente royalists. Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar worshipping together in their new church. Cluster-wide multinational megacorps. Amarr activists working with Caldari dissidents to free slaves. (Shorter route to the State due to the highway gate.) And so on.

I like all this. Figure that groups that are opposed to, if not the fighting, then at least the way that the empires are paired up might fall in there too, and/or make alliances with some of the groups you mention.

Minmatar who feel like the Republic is becoming a subject of the Federation and Caldari who think the Republic would make better allies than the Empire, and people in the State and Republic both who feel like the financial semi-dependence they've established with their respective partners (of the impression thereof) is a mistake (disclaimer: this is somewhat the RP line I take with Silver).

Feddies who are more nationalistic and feel they would be better cutting off a lot of the ties with the Republic, whose immigrants, after all, are probably takin' their jobs!

The Empire, I have trouble seeing the angle. Though I could see a relationship between factions in the Empire and Gallente royalists.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2010, 14:24 »

Checking Amarr corps, the following have presence in "foreign" systems:
Ducia Foundry (risk takers, including armed mining expeditions in 0.0, Zoar subsidiary)
Imperial Armaments (#1 weapons manufacturer in the cluster - quantity over quality though)
Joint Harvesting (one of the largest raw material companies in the cluster)
Nurtura (Agricultural megacorp, privately owned, one of the largest exporters in the Empire)

All of the above (at least if you count that Ducia is essentially owned by Zoar & Sons) are megacorps. Joint Harvesting and Zoar & Sons (who apparently have swapped shares with Khanid Innovations and thus share a link to Lai Dai, too) are up there with the big ones. (About the size of biggest of the big if subs don't count, about the size of smaller State megas if subsidiaries are counted.)

Zoar & Sons (counting Ducia Foundry) is a "traditional mega" offering everything. They'd be there with other corps, competing of the market share with their "exotic" Amarr products (plus the fact that even if their exports fail, they have a huge market base at home in the Empire). The others, however, are amongst the biggest of the big on their fields and do likely make a big impact cluster-wide. You could handwave Amarr stations in the Republic as relics from the time when the Republic was part of the Empire, but you can't handwave Amarr stations in Lonetrek as relics of old. So, you could indeed have Amarr (wearing their business hoods to match the suits of those fashion-conscious Gallente) doing large-ISK business in the Federation.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2010, 16:45 »

How about anti-Federation Gallente. I mean, anti-Federation like they think it should be dissolved, or at the least much more loosely administered. Systems-rights!

It would be, I think, a sort of precarious position to hold, but I could see it attracting a following (well, in a place as big as the Fed, anything might.)
  • Why should the member 'states' have to shoulder the cost of a vast Federal navy, when it is mostly used to defend the 'fat cats' and politicians in the core few worlds?
  • With the right to vote being taken away in the contested areas, the argument could be made that the Federation is show it's 'true colors', too much centralized power, locals should be able to govern themselves (also, attached 'slippery slope' argument)
  • How can a bureaucrat in Villore know what an average Jacques in Solitude needs?
  • Any time there is something about a new law being passed, it could be viewed as interference from the bloated central government
  • In regards to the Caldari invasion and the Titan, 'core worlds' brought it on themselves, and see point 1 (and also below)

What I'm not sure about is how a group like that would handle the ideas of nationalism and how they would view the Caldari. I might be describing two groups here, in fact (there is a big difference between wanting the federation dissolved and simply wanting more local autonomy).

On the Caldari, I could see some Caldari group funding and promoting a group like this, on the sly, since whichever type it is, the ultimate result of any success of theirs would be a weakening of the Federation.

Also, it seems (from the whole thing with Intaki) that member states already exercise a pretty big degree of autonomy. Still, there are always going to be people who are dissatisfied. Plus noone likes taxes, and presumably there are taxes. There is also the fact that the centers of Federation governance are (literally) astronomical distances from the fringes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]