Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Poll

Who is responsible for the health of RP in EVE ?

Me, meaning you
- 10 (16.4%)
You, meaning me
- 14 (23%)
That guy
- 8 (13.1%)
No, not that guy, that other guy
- 5 (8.2%)
Graelyn
- 24 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bitter in the hello forum  (Read 5025 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Bitter in the hello forum
« on: 07 Mar 2014, 11:01 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5770.0

what's going on here ? and is this actually a problem ?

Are newer players registering and then continuing to post ? Or is it the same couple dozen people who are the only ones to stick around and continue to post ?

is this helpful to RP in EVE ?

If it wasn't Vince, would that posting be tolerated ?
\o/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Bitter in the hello forum
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2014, 12:24 »

I'll answer your questions one by one, marked by a *:

1* Somebody got buttmad about Vince's post and walked out.
2* Since they aren't coming back and there isn't anything we can do but make a mountain out of a molehill by hanging Vince just to get one person to come back, no.

3*Newer players are registering and posting, but it is mostly the old guard (rofl, am I old guard now?) who post regularly.

4* It has nothing to do with RP in EVE. This is a Backstage issue.

5* Short answer, no.

Long answer... Vince's meme does break forum rules by most measurements, but it's tolerated because we all known him well enough to realize it's a joke. We all go "Haw haw!" and move on with our lives.

Newer players don't know him, may not understand that, and yeah, some of them walk away, apparently. If you check the threads of actual new people, a lot of them do seem surprised and/or question Vince's post, wondering if they had done something wrong. Until now, I don't think anyone quit.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2014, 13:29 »

I voted for three options in the affixed poll.

It's funny, Vince's meme came up in conversation regarding another moderation topic just a couple of days ago.

The consensus that was reached on it a long time ago is that it's harmless in that no reasonable person who's been playing Eve long enough to even know this forum community exists would take it seriously or really care all that much.

As a kid, whenever you went to a new school or otherwise found yourself in a situation to meet a bunch of new friends, there was always that one person who came off as an asshole at first.  And then everyone else usually said, "Don't mind him, he's an asshole."  And then you wound up becoming closest with that person in particular.  Everybody's best friend.  Either that, or you were the kid who didn't have too many friends because you weren't able to laugh that guy off the first day.

As an internet, whenever you start playing a new mmo or join a new forum community or otherwise found yourself in a situation to meet a bunch of new internets, there was always that one internet who came off as an asshole at first.   And then every other internet said, "Don't mind that internet, s/he's an asshole."

Can you see where I'm going with this?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2014, 13:35 »

... so are you saying we can introduce Vince as an asshole?

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2014, 13:38 »

Well, I mean, we already implicitly do that, right?   :lol:

[admin]Officially, no, I'm not saying that.[/admin]

:p

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Dessau

« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2014, 13:58 »

Posts like Mr. Price's are tame compared to the real nonsense the internet throws at you. Old players who are newish to RP will gather the jesting nature of such posts: players who are new to EVE and cannot cope with the ribbing the catch here, wouldn't last a week in Local anyway.

I don't think this community is driving anyone away who didn't already have a foot out the door.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 07 Mar 2014, 14:12 »

Posts like Mr. Price's are tame compared to the real nonsense the internet throws at you. Old players who are newish to RP will gather the jesting nature of such posts: players who are new to EVE and cannot cope with the ribbing the catch here, wouldn't last a week in Local anyway.

I don't think this community is driving anyone away who didn't already have a foot out the door.

This. More or less what I said in the original thread, just more politely.

(Obligatory Morwen-grade bluntness: If something like Vince's traditional snarky greeting, which is given both to new and old RPers alike, would get someone to ragequit the forum, either they need to HTFU or find another game.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2014, 15:28 »

Intent matters.

(Also, everything is Graelyn's fault, forever.)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #8 on: 07 Mar 2014, 15:41 »

(Also, everything is Graelyn's fault, forever.)

Vote Graelyn

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2014, 19:03 »

No particular animosity about about this, but I'm a bit disappointed that this is now the official stance here. It had seemed that part of the culture that Backstage fostered was that "He's just being an asshole" wasn't an okay defence.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2014, 20:40 »

I agree with Matariki.

While I don't really care about Vince's posts, the hypocrisy at play here is palpable. I'm not asking anyone to change it, I'm not pressuring the mods to do anything about it, and I don't think it is anyone's responsibility but Vince's to address the real issue...

... but the reality is that there are multiple facets of this situation that violate the rules of Backstage, and for one reason or another they are being ignored. I'm not surprised or disappointed. I'm just pointing it out.

Please don't dogpile me, guys. :P

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2014, 21:00 »

I don't think Vince's posts violate the rules, because we've always taken the approach that each situation is different, and I haven't seen any previous people (before this one) take it seriously. I don't see any pattern of it being a problem. I don't think the argument is, officially, 'lol, he's just an asshole'. I think the argument is that we have room for people to say things as a joke, as long as it is inside the guidelines - and posting an obviously joking 'I hate you' would be (whereas his recently catacombed post wasn't, for example). If being an asshole was a defense, we wouldn't have catacombed the other post. We have to have some flexibility, however, and all of Vince's newbie area posts I have seen have been pretty tame, even by our standards.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2014, 23:40 »

The excuse absolutely isn't "he's an asshole," it's "this is obviously a joke."

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2014, 03:19 »

Yet many other things that are 'obviously a joke' get catacombed.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 08 Mar 2014, 03:35 »

Some jokes about some topics, especially topics that we have an explicit zero tolerance view towards, will not be permitted to stand if we see them.

Also:

Quote from: The FAQ
Q: Isn't all this subjective?
A: Yes. The Mods do their best to be fair, but inevitably, this is a subjective standard. Another thing for you to Deal With.

This board has two admins and four mods.  99.99998% or things are discussed before a mod action takes place.  But all it takes is one moderator to decide something is grievous enough to be acted upon.  Such as a violation of the explicit zero tolerance policy regarding homophobic remarks, for example.

Yet even then, the fact that there are six of us altogether ensures that even that rare situation doesn't simply end there.  There is then discussion on the Moderators' board that everyone doesn't see.  If a situation were to happen where one moderator went rogue and catacombed something based on personal motives rather than the maintenance of the desired posting environment of the forums, the post(s) c/would be restored and that moderator warned and/or removed from the team.

Interesting point of Backstage history/trivia: the decision to have not only posted Rules but a posted FAQ regarding the intended posting environment for Backstage was to prevent "rules lawyering".  An example of this would be comments like "Well, Poster A did this, so how come Poster B got moderated for doing that?"

In most things:

Intent matters.

In other things, this is neither 4chan, Reddit, nor FHC.  This is Backstage and some things are simply not acceptable under any circumstances - even if we mods do these things ourselves elsewhere.

Twitter
Pages: [1] 2