Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Once more unto etc  (Read 3405 times)

A.Ogana

Once more unto etc
« on: 03 Mar 2014, 17:55 »

Greetings! I'll try not to write a manifesto for my first post, but here's me and my reason for being here:

This will be my fourth-or-so time joining EvE. I'm a tabletop gamer from pre-teen age, a freelance writer and web-IT-lite guy, and ST:DS9 was my favorite Star Trek series. Telling you my second-favorite Trek series would start a debate. I'll stop mentioning Star Trek after I say I also wrote 70% of a public domain rulebook for playing d20 as a Starfleet crew, where the rules were mostly focused on mechanics for telling stories similar to the TNG and DS9 eras - but life got in the way and I decided d20 was not the system for the project.

So, EvE. Once more unto the spreadsheets, the gate camps, the wardecs, etc. Except, maybe not. I had a lot of trouble finding my niche in EvE the past times I've played, mainly because, when I'm in a gaming phase, I'm usually gaming because I'm not feeling very outgoing. I know there's all this epic roleplay out there... but since the game mechanics are 90% pewpew and I wasn't making an effort to socialize, it was a pretty random and occasionally cruel experience, and I repeatedly left knowing there was probably something for me in this game, but wondering if I'd ever find it.

To buck a trend this time, I think I might try my character's hand at being a human interest journalist. I like the idea enough to probably actually re-up my subscription soon, now that I've confirmed EvE still runs on my GPU (for now)... So, yeah, I'm thinking, I might be able to use my writing skill to help others get more exposure for their RP. It's a concept in progress. If all goes well, you people will be among the first to know when Augustus re-ups his PL in pursuit of the new career track.

Well'p this is long enough, ain'it! Yeah, I'll try to warn you all when one of my posts is a manifesto ;)

By the way: I adore the precision on the anti-trolling, anti-misogyny, and anti-homophobia rules here.

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Once more unto etc
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2014, 22:45 »

Welcome.

Also, there is much trolling. :bear:

A.Ogana

« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2014, 23:09 »

I look forward to opportunities to test the DPS on the Report module fitted to every post. Hopefully, it's Super-Effective!

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2014, 23:15 »

I am terrible at trolling. I hope to improve.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2014, 01:26 »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2014, 04:52 »

« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2014, 12:24 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2014, 10:26 »

Well hello again, then! Always good to see some returnee types!

Being an in-character journalist in EVE is certainly tricky, but when done right it can be a lot of fun. Here's hoping it works out for you!
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

A.Ogana

« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2014, 15:53 »

Vincent: Words to live by ...so I don't know why I'm acknowledging it.

Jace: Ew. Okay :) (Says someone who wishes he was not so good at it.)

Saede: Thanks!

Esna: I expect it will be a slightly uphill battle to make contacts, but that's no different from real life journalism. Meanwhile, RL journos have more competition; I anticipate a more enthusiastic reception to telling people I'm interested in spreading a snippet of their tale. My biggest challenge will be that I am still teetering on a big question... is EvE the game where I will finally learn to let my devious side come out and play? And if so, am I capable of covering up my irresponsibilities to protect the image of confidentiality and credibility? I haven't decided if the extra challenge is worth the investment. I'll probably play the existing character straight, which admittedly, a lot of people will find boring. Still... fantasy wish fulfillment, for me, is a world where I give a shit. In EvE as in life, either way is doable for s/he who decides it's worth the time :)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2014, 16:02 »

Don't take Vince too seriously. He is a very angry man  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

A.Ogana

« Reply #9 on: 04 Mar 2014, 16:13 »

Don't take Vince too seriously. He is a very angry man  :D

How about "pay no attention to."  *Sees similar in all Hello threads, goes and learns how to operate SMF's ignore list.*

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 04 Mar 2014, 16:18 »

It's the variety of his hate that is worthwhile.  :cube:

A.Ogana

« Reply #11 on: 05 Mar 2014, 12:57 »

I'm just going to let my account deletion speak for itself in this matter. I don't tolerate hateful hellos and I don't participate in communities that defend them.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #12 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:19 »

I don't tolerate hateful hellos and I don't participate in communities that defend them.

And this person decided to play EVE?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #13 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:20 »

I'm just going to let my account deletion speak for itself in this matter. I don't tolerate hateful hellos and I don't participate in communities that defend them.

Is this some kind of record?

I mean, I'm sorry you feel that way mate, but this is a community of Eve players. We might be unusually polite on the whole, but most of us are probably still going to take some pleasure in faintly insulting long running jokes.

Vince doesn't actually hate you (probably). If you honestly jumped to assuming he does because of one picture, you're probably going to have a tough time in the wide world of New Eden. Lots of people worse than Vince out there.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 05 Mar 2014, 13:33 »

:roll:
Pages: [1] 2 3