Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: [Character] Nauplius  (Read 23971 times)

genofunk

Re: [Character] Nauplius
« Reply #15 on: 07 Mar 2014, 21:00 »

We Sani Sabik would love for Nauplius to join us!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 07 Mar 2014, 22:29 »

Moustache-twirling can be a difficult thing to do.  I failed at it often, and it's easy to give other players much eye roll.

I think anyone pulling that kind of thing IC would not be in the good graces of either Kingdom nor Empire.

The people who get into the hard core killing masses of slaves/whatever would have to be extremely underground about it, if they actually publicly admit to that behavior and shout it to the entire IGS claiming to be a loyalist they'd probably be hauled off to the loony bin if they ever leave their station safety environments in Kingdom or Empire. 

CONCORD would protect you as a capsuleer while docked, but if you went planetside in Kingdom or Empire high sec I would expect unpleasant responses from the authorities.

From what I recall any of the more 'dastardly' Amarr behavior in the modern era is always done under layers and layers of deniability and far away from the public eye.  Slave holders don't jump on the public news channels and talk about mass murder or they'd have hell to pay

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2014, 02:02 »

I think a few good tvtropes for an aspiring villain to read are:

Narm

Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy

Wangst

A lot of the reason I've never really taken the fiction written by Tony G too seriously is that practically everything he's written, and especially regarding the Amarr and Caldari, suffers from the above. There's one thing to have "bad guys" and then there's making things so contrived, so melodramatic, so histrionic, and so overplayed that you end up being unable to take them seriously because they've managed to reach the point of just being so stereotypical and poorly executed they enter the realm of absurdity.

But I guess that's fine, I mean that's basically the definition of say, 1960's era comic book villains. However, I think society has moved on in some respects from accepting the concept of villains being evil just because they're evil which can be seen in the development of series like the Watchmen, or X-Men which explored more nuanced concepts about society, people, and good or evil.

I suppose it depends what you prefer out of Eve in playing a villain. And to take the comic book analogy further as example, whether you prefer the villains from Batman and Robin or if you prefer the villains from the Dark Knight.

Because there's a difference to me in execution with those examples, and personally I think I prefer the Dark Knight so I just tend to shrug and move on with people who base their characters on the work of Tony G because it usually comes off as trying too hard, poorly executed, and sometimes unlike Batman and Robin which was intentionally meant to be cheesy, those characters actually seem to come off to me as unintentionally cheesy. Which almost makes it amusing, really.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 08 Mar 2014, 07:19 »

I think a few good tvtropes for an aspiring villain to read are:

Narm

Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy

Wangst

A lot of the reason I've never really taken the fiction written by Tony G too seriously is that practically everything he's written, and especially regarding the Amarr and Caldari, suffers from the above. There's one thing to have "bad guys" and then there's making things so contrived, so melodramatic, so histrionic, and so overplayed that you end up being unable to take them seriously because they've managed to reach the point of just being so stereotypical and poorly executed they enter the realm of absurdity.

But I guess that's fine, I mean that's basically the definition of say, 1960's era comic book villains. However, I think society has moved on in some respects from accepting the concept of villains being evil just because they're evil which can be seen in the development of series like the Watchmen, or X-Men which explored more nuanced concepts about society, people, and good or evil.

I suppose it depends what you prefer out of Eve in playing a villain. And to take the comic book analogy further as example, whether you prefer the villains from Batman and Robin or if you prefer the villains from the Dark Knight.

Because there's a difference to me in execution with those examples, and personally I think I prefer the Dark Knight so I just tend to shrug and move on with people who base their characters on the work of Tony G because it usually comes off as trying too hard, poorly executed, and sometimes unlike Batman and Robin which was intentionally meant to be cheesy, those characters actually seem to come off to me as unintentionally cheesy. Which almost makes it amusing, really.

Gonna make a villain from Hellblazer. Because yes.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 08 Mar 2014, 09:12 »

Also, isn't Nauplius a Khanid Zealot ? Zealots generally have extreme opinions
\o/

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #20 on: 08 Mar 2014, 12:25 »

He actually stated recently on the IGS that he's a Unionist.

Odelya

« Reply #21 on: 08 Mar 2014, 14:47 »

He actually stated recently on the IGS that he's a Unionist.
Too bad!

I am not active at all at the moment, but Nauplius got my attention and I find his posts entertaining and all. The only thing I can tell from my experience that nonconformist paths usually lead to a relatively lonely corner. But who wants to be a conformist? :yar:

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 08 Mar 2014, 22:08 »

I'll conform to anyone who gives me a cookie.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:09 »

I think the more interesting question for RPers and for lore people:

is if a capsuleer loyalist would be permitted to 'get away' with certain behaviors (for any faction).

Can an Amarr loyalist capsuleer murder a million slaves in public and walk around freely on Amarr Prime?

Can a Minmatar capsuleer sell a million slaves in public and walk around on Pator?

I think CONCORD would protect them in-station.  On the empires' turf they'd be in handcuffs.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:11 »

I think the more interesting question for RPers and for lore people:

is if a capsuleer loyalist would be permitted to 'get away' with certain behaviors (for any faction).

Can an Amarr loyalist capsuleer murder a million slaves in public and walk around freely on Amarr Prime?

Can a Minmatar capsuleer sell a million slaves in public and walk around on Pator?

I think CONCORD would protect them in-station.  On the empires' turf they'd be in handcuffs.

I think it absolutely would make sense, but as usual: if the player doesn't want to RP that, there's nothing we can do about it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:24 »

Well it gets to the age-old eve RPer dilemma;

It all goes back to CONCORD and the Empires and the player-capsuleers.  What are the extends of freedom, abuse of power, and law-breaking.

For law-abiding types (or on Earth when people have power and money), shady dealings tend to happen behind the scenes.   Everyone might know someone is a crook and a gangster, but they look clean in public even if they have blood on their hands in private.

I think N. could do all of those things as a loyalist but might make sense for it to be more 'nuanced' in the PR. 

"Those slaves are off-world at one of my private estates"

"Sometimes accidents happen in transport! We are saddened, etc"

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:35 »

Well it gets to the age-old eve RPer dilemma;

It all goes back to CONCORD and the Empires and the player-capsuleers.  What are the extends of freedom, abuse of power, and law-breaking.

For law-abiding types (or on Earth when people have power and money), shady dealings tend to happen behind the scenes.   Everyone might know someone is a crook and a gangster, but they look clean in public even if they have blood on their hands in private.

I think N. could do all of those things as a loyalist but might make sense for it to be more 'nuanced' in the PR. 

"Those slaves are off-world at one of my private estates"

"Sometimes accidents happen in transport! We are saddened, etc"

He's kind of left that notion behind with his IGS posting.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2014, 09:58 »

Nauplius has had legal protection for the most part as a Kingdomer. If he were an Imperial it would have been a lot more conflicted. But as kingdom slave holders have free reign to do whatever they want with their property, the only consequence Nauplius might have gotten 'on the ground' would have been the social faux pas issue of it.

Were he Imperial, and a Holder (thus having legal right to hold slaves), I expect he would have had to deal with inquiries and action from his liege lord and possibly the Speakers of Truth. Capsuleers aren't immune to punishment on the ground, this is said in lore sources. The moment they step out of CONCORD-managed areas they come under the authority of local law. But it is up to the player themselves to RP that.

Nauplius' recent posts on the forum seem to say that he is recognizing that his new Blooder angle is getting him into planetside straights, which is cool.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:43 »

Hadn't kept up with the IGS, so if outed blooder then that will go a different direction.

Is he still in the 24th?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #29 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:44 »

He is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9