Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: [Character] Nauplius  (Read 24115 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: [Character] Nauplius
« Reply #45 on: 08 May 2014, 12:54 »

I've contacted the relevant authorities (Grand Inquisitor) to try and get them to name Nauplius a Heretic and confirm him as a false prophet.

You know, I'm just an evemail away.  ;)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #46 on: 03 Jun 2014, 16:58 »

I've always thought that roleplay actions a character takes can and should have direct repercussions on their ability to continue interacting with certain NPC groups. One of the biggest disappointments of the short-lived and ill-fated SnipeHunts arc (beyond losing my Megathron Navy Issue to NPC actors, of course) was that Andreus fired on FIO starships in a hi-sec Federation system in defence of an outfit of criminals who'd just busted into a top-secret FIO base... and there were no repercussions from it, except Thoun Gaterau said some nasty things about him.

I'm going to say it outright - at the very least I felt like Andreus should have immediately lost his 8.0+ FIO standings. Perhaps even taken a serious Federation faction standing hit. I would have been happy with that - actions, consequences.

Likewise, it feels a little bizarre that Nauplius is going around spouting Sani Sabik scripture willy-nilly and the Amarrian authorities are like "eh." I'm not saying he should stop by any stretch of the imagination - I'm saying that the Empire should be saying he should stop.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #47 on: 28 Aug 2014, 00:31 »

Before I started playing EVE, I had an idea for a character in mind. It would be something like a Dalek Nazi on meth, wearing fiberglass underwear that was three sizes too tight.

I have to say that I love reading your posts on the IGS. You and Diana Kim represent the sort of fanaticism that I had wanted to roleplay as an Amarrian Loyalist from the very beginning. Odelya does this as well.

As you and I were both in 1PG, you might recall that the role-play there was well...somewhat lacking. I unsubscribed shortly after Gangleri told Sten Mattson to give me combat lesson #1, (for the eighth time), and half way through the lesson Sten started yelling at me over voice comms. I thought to myself 'EVE is no fun'. I stopped playing, then I stopped paying.

I started reading the IGS lately, and I found your posts to be delightfully fanatical and over the top. I also like your dry wit in response to your detractors.

I will say this about Naupilus though. There seems to be a logical contradiction in your behavior. It seems as though he is torn between two different interpretations or even versions of faith. His words sound like those of a Tetrimon, even if his actions are clearly those of a Sanik Sabi.

It seems like Naupilus is at war with himself. Cognitive dissonance is possible of course, and it is also possible that reading the Apocrypha might make one go insane. Imagine spending the best years of your life as an Amarrian loyalist, only to find out that you have spent your whole life serving and believing a lie?  :bash:

There doesn't seem to be much of a central doctrine as far as Sani Sabik, and there are thousands of different sects (and hence interpretations) of that religion.

However, someone else claiming to be a Blood Raider in the IGS said that the Blood Raiders followed (I am paraphrasing) the path of indulgence, instead of abstinence. 'Sex, drugs, and rock and roll'. This is what some mystics would describe as the 'left hand path' to enlightenment. I imagine that Pirates would be more interested in that sort of thing than just a slight variation on the traditional Orthodox Amarrian religion.

I also worry about the logical inconsistency of Naupilus being part of the 24thIC. Sure, Pirates and Privateers can join the militia, but wouldn't a Blood Raider heretic be considered an enemy of the Empire? If Naupilus wanted to fight in the FW, why wouldn't he join the Caldari/ Gallente war where there would be twice as many targets and no one would know or care about his past?
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2014, 00:46 by Jikahr »
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 28 Aug 2014, 00:42 »

As Ari would say, Naupilius is "not well" ;)  I suspect any obvious or subtle contradictions one may find are actually quite purposeful ... ;)

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #49 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:16 »

As Ari would say, Naupilius is "not well" ;)  I suspect any obvious or subtle contradictions one may find are actually quite purposeful ... ;)

What becomes of a mad Capsuleer? I'm not sure that insanity would be acceptable as an excuse for heresy, at least not within the borders of the Amarr border.

In Caldari state, Naupilus might just be another small fish in a big pond.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 28 Aug 2014, 13:11 »

In a way *all* Capsuleers are considered insane.  One of the things Ari (And I) has pointed out is that other than the injectable informorph book "infomorph psychology" for jumpcloning - there is no research done on *actual* infomorph pschology.  Likely a product of :EveGrimDark:.

We're also, save in the most extreme circumstances, self governing.

Ofc he's a heretic to p. much everyone else but a church of one, which is Naupilius himself.  Well!  AND his brainwashed crews. :)

The empire does nothing about heretical Capsuleers.  We dont get to talk to yellow text anymore. :(  We can't have him Stricken from The book of Records, etc., in a cool ceremony with an NPC Inquisitor, and I don''t remember how another hereticall Capsuleer was Stricken specifically but suspect the players involved in that (if it was solely players) are no longer around.

Otherwise in regards to his sanity vs religion ICly Ari has a vauge chat about him with a friend, but it's rare she spills any opinion that any gallery of any sort of nuts (peamnut or otherwise) can declare as 'professional' about a Capsuleer in public. ;)  There's a tricksy involved as Arista is a psychologist and a clergymember (that "very specific kind of clergy").   
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2014, 13:17 by Arista Shahni »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 29 Aug 2014, 04:50 »

Nappy is one of the best characters I've seen in a long time. We need less people posting, more people doing. I love to hate him, and no OOC hard feelings at all!

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2014, 09:34 »

I do a lot of things.  Most people just don't know.

Pesky religious vows..

.. and people never asking IC...

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #53 on: 05 Sep 2014, 00:47 »

Bumping this thread for well-deserved reasons. He is creating content, in-space RP, conflict, and overall being a good sport about all of the IC hate and overwhelming firepower being brought against him. We need more like this guy!

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #54 on: 05 Sep 2014, 19:44 »

There doesn't seem to be much of a central doctrine as far as Sani Sabik, and there are thousands of different sects (and hence interpretations) of that religion.

However, someone else claiming to be a Blood Raider in the IGS said that the Blood Raiders followed (I am paraphrasing) the path of indulgence, instead of abstinence. 'Sex, drugs, and rock and roll'. This is what some mystics would describe as the 'left hand path' to enlightenment. I imagine that Pirates would be more interested in that sort of thing than just a slight variation on the traditional Orthodox Amarrian religion.

I also worry about the logical inconsistency of Naupilus being part of the 24thIC. Sure, Pirates and Privateers can join the militia, but wouldn't a Blood Raider heretic be considered an enemy of the Empire? If Naupilus wanted to fight in the FW, why wouldn't he join the Caldari/ Gallente war where there would be twice as many targets and no one would know or care about his past?

EVE Source gives some commonalities among the Sani Sabik sects:  Savants, Blood, Golden Vials, (Red) God, and the Book of the Dead.  It also says they use many of the Amarr Scriptures, but interpret or emphasize different parts.  The most prominent thing that Nauplius emphasizes that mainstream Amarr doesn't, of course, is human sacrifice, which is sort-of present in the Amarr Scriptures' Molok story.  Since the Blood Raiders and other Sabik sacrifice humans, too, Nauplius hasn't wandered off canon on this one.

Source doesn't say anything about Blood Raider hedonism, but some of the fiction does, and Pleasure Hubs are found in certain Blood Raider anomalies.  This hedonistic side is Nauplius's in-character reason for not aligning more closely with the Blood Raiders.

The relationship between the Amarr and Sani Sabik is asymmetric in this respect — the Amarr really hate the Sani Sabik, but the Sani Sabik see the Amarr more as wayward and unwilling to confront the tougher parts of the faith.  That's why Nauplius can still choose to fight on the Amarr side in FW, since they are much, much closer to his beliefs than any other.  He still believes that the Amarr are Chosen, just wayward Chosen.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #55 on: 06 Sep 2014, 01:19 »

Just slightly lax on the "number of people we throw onto the Altar of God" ;)

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #56 on: 06 Sep 2014, 15:48 »

The relationship between the Amarr and Sani Sabik is asymmetric in this respect — the Amarr really hate the Sani Sabik, but the Sani Sabik see the Amarr more as wayward and unwilling to confront the tougher parts of the faith.  That's why Nauplius can still choose to fight on the Amarr side in FW, since they are much, much closer to his beliefs than any other.  He still believes that the Amarr are Chosen, just wayward Chosen.

How would this relate to what Andreaus was saying about the Amarr Navy being somewhat blase about a Sani Sabik heretic being released against the Minmatar in FW?

I suppose there are a few plausible answers. Chamberlain Karosgoth was a Blood Raider sympathizer, and he was in the upper echelons of power. Why couldn't the same be said about the Amarr Navy? An Admiral or Minister sympathizer somewhere has his own lists, and makes sure that anyone's name that comes up as 'Sani Sabik' gets quickly passed and accepted.

Furthermore, the Empress Jamyl Sarum is a clone, and a capsuleer. According to their doctrine of the sacred flesh, this is perhaps the greatest heresy of the Amarrian religion. Despite this however, it seems as though most people in Amarr (including the Navy) just don't care.

I think there is also something called the 'Emergency Militias War Powers Act'. This law states that pirates can redeem themselves by fighting for the Empire in FW.

Either these pirates are 'Privateers' with a license to kill the enemy, or perhaps they are part of a Penal company carefully watched over by Naval Cov-ops scouts with a BLOPS unit standing by in case things get out of hand.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2014, 15:52 by Jikahr »

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #57 on: 07 Sep 2014, 21:05 »

Sorry, but this is what I think of when Nauplius preaches to the Minmatar militia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:07 »

Karsoth being an undetected closet Sabik was CCP plot fail of the highest order IMO.

FW wise... open, card-carrying Sabiks are not a tolerated thing in Empire, under any circumstances.  But it's always been game mechanics fail that you can say "i hate the empire" and still fly for them.

The violence and destruction aimed at the Matari pales in comparison to how the Empire deals with internal heretics.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:13 »

Karsoth being an undetected closet Sabik was CCP plot fail of the highest order IMO.

I have to agree with this. We cannot ignore it, but I think it was a horrible decision.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9