Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [Character] Nauplius  (Read 23961 times)

Nauplius

• Clonejack
[Character] Nauplius
« on: 06 Mar 2014, 11:30 »

• Up front, Nauplius is not intended as an OOC Troll at you people, none of whom I even know, except perhaps for any ex-1PG members who might be lurking out there.
  • There is, of course, hardly much of a line between Successful Troll and Evil Character who just happens to have OP'ed several of the most read and replied-to threads on the IGS lately, and I don't expect to convince everyone on this point.
  • I have tried to avoid some of the mistakes of more outlandish characters, foremost by actually performing operations in space as appropriate — those "rescues" on the DSTON thread really are taken from jetcans in Niarja and Jark and sold to NPC buy orders; I really did buy all 1,000,000 of those slaves and went threw the extra expense of blowing some of them up in a freighter so I'd have an API-verified KM.  That I had represented this character as a Khanid commoner since I started has afforded me some leeway as to what I can "do" versus a properly educated Holder, though I believe I have been mostly careful in observing IC-respect towards those who claim rank as well as long standing Amarr loyalist organization, even as I IC-disagree with them.
  • I'm vaguely aware that most of you guys don't like the author of "Theodicy" and two of the novels.  Despite that, I'm using 100% canon "Theodicy" as  a primary source, what with the slave collars I mention every other sentence and the dumping of worked-to-near-death slaves in a cave and such.  One questionable thing I've done is obliquely linked to "Theodicy" in a few of my IGS posts; while this could be intepreted as an OOC "you're doing it wrong" directed at the Amarr characters, my actual intent was to buttress my very much minority IGS opinion and let readers know that I'm not just making !@#$ up despite being heavily outnumbered.
  • I fully understand your OOC rejection of the most grimdark forms of Amarr RP; I suspect that it would be hard to build much in-game on such a foundation.  I did the Providence NRDS thing a while back and am OOC-fine with all that.
  • It goes almost without saying that I expect nearly everyone to oppose Nauplius on a purely IC basis.
  • When I started posting a few months back I was making a study of Youtube street preachers and some of that comes through in my earlier IGS posts (more so in my IC "preaching" to the Minmatar Milita in Local at that time).  I've cranked up the nutjobbery from there.  No offense is intended to Christians; I'm a (grumpy old) Presbyterian myself but allow myself to say things about Amarr religion that are both consistent with and not consistent with what I believe.
  • All that said, this character is probably reaching the end of a road in terms of development — I always knew that there's not much left to "do" after blowing away a million slaves.  Some possible changes include going Blood Raider; going Caldari militia;  repenting and going into some self-imposed exile/punishment in Ammatar lowsec or something.  I might make use of other player activity in directing this course;  I have already started to turn my alt Calyce Io away from the "dark side" based on some IC interaction she had in space with the Disciples of Ston.

Jace

• Veteran
Re: [Character] Nauplius
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2014, 11:41 »

I don't know anyone that is OOCly annoyed with you. You are playing an unlikeable character, but a consistent one. If you want a long-term arc with him, the repentance route would be a very long, long process to get back into the general Amarr community - thus allowing you to have interactions ICly reliably.

Blooder would be a bit more difficult now that Silas is gone, so there aren't many highly public Blooder/Sani players out there at the moment. But maybe you could change that. I have an alt leaning that direction.

Caldari militia would be...interesting.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2014, 11:55 »

I personally really appreciate this post, and am glad you posted it. It helps to put things in perspective. I for one don't reject Theodicy or other darker aspects of Amarr RP (and am actually opposed to a lot of the whitewashing that goes on), and while Nauplius has been occasionally somewhat frustrating it's always because you write his posts in a very provocative fashion rather than any lore issues. Nauplius is certainly not modern orthodox (even by conservative standpoints), but everything he has done is actually quite justifiable from the extremist perspective. Especially as a kingdomer. I could see Nauplius as a Tetrimon supporter, actually.

It's been very... interesting to interact with Nauplius on Samira. He has had good arguments to support his beliefs, and as a conservative Samira's found it occasionally difficult to disagree. If not for her personal bias towards slaves (being a former one herself), I don't think she'd have nearly as much problem with him.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2014, 12:46 by Samira Kernher »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:24 »

Gonna echo Samira, at least on the first part about it being a good thing to post here (since I'm still only ankle-deep in Amarr stuff myself), so thanks for doing that.

I don't really have any OOC issue with you or what you're doing. My only real quibble aside from what seems (to me) to be excessively provocative posting methods that come off as trolling (even if they aren't intended to be, thank you for the clarification on that btw), is that by performing all of these actions from within an NPC corp, at least on your main, you largely immunize yourself to the forms of risk that would legitimately follow Nauplius' IC behavior - effectively forcing anyone who wishes to make Nauplius answer for his 'crimes' break the law themselves to do so.

It's your decision, of course, though I think I'd probably be a little less annoyed if you were doing it from a player corporation - even if you were the only person in said corp - because you would be doing things in a fashion that embraces the fact that your character's actions have consequences and risks associated with them.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:38 »

...Nauplius is certainly not modern orthodox (even by conservative standpoints), but everything he has done is actually quite justifiable from the extremist perspective. Especially as a kingdomer. I could see Nauplius as a Tetrimon supporter, actually...

Yes, I should probably clarify that although Nauplius has IC-accused people of being liberal, decadent, and such, and claiming that he is orthodox, I recognize OOC that he was just barely so up until the "Two and a Half Minutes Hate" point and reactionary/extremist thereafter.

Alizabeth

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:46 »

Personally, I think that Nauplius was well in orthodoxy, except for the hell bit, which he acknowledged IC.  I liked the darker aspect of the Amarr, as so many people RP the liberal side of the Amarr.
You're right that sacrificing 1 million slaves is a line that was crossed and bravo for crossing it in such a splendid manner. (This is my inner goon speaking.)
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2014, 13:02 by Isis »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:52 »

Uninvolved Caldari player here.

I think it's awesome you are coming out of the woodwork and announcing yourself like this. It really helps with the perspective. With all the sockpuppets and trolls this community has suffered, it's sometimes a knee-jerk temptation to accuse wildly controversial characters of being one. Having an OOC line of communication open is, in my opinion, a very important step.

Random question though, and I admit as my character had no bone to pick with your threads, I wasn't reading them in detail. Was the "hell" thing an honest OOC mistake, or was it something intentional IC, or was it something that actually has merit in PF? I'm not totally up to snuff on Amarr RP.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:00 »

Personally, I think that Nauplius was well in orthodoxy, except for the hell bit, which he acknowledged IC.  I liked the darker aspect of the Amarr, as so many people RP the liberal side of the Amarr.
You're right that sacrificing 1 million slaves is a line that was crossed and bravo for crossing it in such a splendid manner.

Yes, you're right. While at the edge he was within orthodoxy in a lot of ways which is what made him interesting/difficult to argue with. It was pretty neat with all the back-and-forth quoting of Scriptures.

I have to give kudos to you, Nauplius, for you defending your points so well. Threw me for a loop at times.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:01 »

Was the "hell" thing an honest OOC mistake, or was it something intentional IC, or was it something that actually has merit in PF? I'm not totally up to snuff on Amarr RP.

It actually has merit. If not for the one mission that says that Amarr don't believe in the concept of hell, there are actually more sources implying it exists than not.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:24 »

Hmm. Well, see that's more reading into it than I would have known. Hence why I don't let my character say much on your threads. :D

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:27 »

...performing all of these actions from within an NPC corp, at least on your main, you largely immunize yourself to the forms of risk that would legitimately follow Nauplius' IC behavior - effectively forcing anyone who wishes to make Nauplius answer for his 'crimes' break the law themselves to do so.

It's your decision, of course, though I think I'd probably be a little less annoyed if you were doing it from a player corporation - even if you were the only person in said corp - because you would be doing things in a fashion that embraces the fact that your character's actions have consequences and risks associated with them.

Fair enough.  In my defense, I only made Nauplius into a KOS-level enemy of any Amarr characters with the slave execution, but I'll have to look into the corporation management skills and see what I have to do to make Nauplius more KOS-able.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2014, 17:09 »

Thank you for the Post from the character luna loves to hate IC (to use a bad analogy, I sort of see him as a westboro baptist Amarr).  I enjoyed the insight in the character (and interested to see that "C" may be changing due to her experiences with the Stonites).   From an OOC point of view, I have been impressed by the effort you did make to make it hang together plus doing actions in space which is something I feel strongly about should be done when possible in rp.  For the future, well some of his IGS comments of late definitely have had a sani sabik vibe and it would't be too hard for him to go that route if he chose. I am too tired to quote them specifically but if you read the PF and eve wiki on sani sabik some of the lines are close to verbatim why they sacrifice folks!

Drakolus

« Reply #12 on: 06 Mar 2014, 19:35 »

Obligatory RABBLE!

After glossing over your IGS post, my first thought was "I hope this guy has one hell of a fire proof suit." 

Anyways, welcome and props to you for choosing the "difficult" road as it were :)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2014, 09:46 »

I quite like how Nauplius's topics cause a lot of upset amongst many people.

Blooder would be a bit more difficult now that Silas is gone, so there aren't many highly public Blooder/Sani players out there at the moment.

Is CTCS invisible or something ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2014, 09:50 »

I quite like how Nauplius's topics cause a lot of upset amongst many people.

Blooder would be a bit more difficult now that Silas is gone, so there aren't many highly public Blooder/Sani players out there at the moment.

Is CTCS invisible or something ?

I honestly had no idea what you folks were about. Had no idea it was Sani/BR.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9