Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Scagga once lost 800,000,000 isk in one night due to his gambling problem?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Are you happy with how prime fiction characters are portrayed ?  (Read 4853 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

How satisfied are you with how prime fiction characters are portrayed ?

What are you happy about? what are you unhappy about?

What would you like to happen ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Lyn Farel

Just get rid of Jamyl already  :(

It's a living zombiephomaniac insult to every Amarrian RPer that saw her dying.

Jace

• Veteran

Things have been static long enough, fairly significant shakeups need to happen for each major faction in my opinion. Not something necessarily retcon-ish or drastically image-changing, but there needs to be some major ripples in the clusterpond.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

Things have been static long enough, fairly significant shakeups need to happen for each major faction in my opinion. Not something necessarily retcon-ish or drastically image-changing, but there needs to be some major ripples in the clusterpond.

Pretty sure us and the Caldari just got ours?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

It depends on the source. For the most part, I am happy with the prime fiction characters.

Even Jamyl. In fact, I really like Jamyl, and most of her appearances have been fine. I understand that her appearance in the novel was shit, but then basically every character's portrayal in the novel was shit. Being mentally damaged, even being faithless, does not make Jamyl a bad character, or a bad empress, as long as she is written well. Characters do not have to be ideal, perfect representations of their faction, and would be quite boring if they were. Hell, I even like Karsoth, because stuff that goes -against- the ideal provides flavor. I don't expect, nor want, my faction to be perfect.

What matters to me is how a character is written, more than who that character is. Iffy character concepts can be amazing if handled by good writers, while great character concepts can be butchered when handled by bad ones.

With the removal of Tony G, I don't really have any issue with the way things are going right now. Perhaps the only exception to this is Heth's recent stuff, which feels like CCP scrambling to try and appease Caldari complainers and proceeding to failscade the character to get him removed asap.

What would I like to happen? I want to see internal destabilization. TEA era united the factions with their subordinate elements in attempt to build up a 2-coalition-4-faction system. I think we've gone with that for long enough, and it's time to let the internal divides rear their heads. Caldari have already had this in the form of the removal-of-Heth arc. Minmatar seem to be building up to it a bit with Midular II. Gallente also built up to it a bit with the Black Eagles (with player failures actually helping to solidify the BE's power, which is awesome!). And Amarr have what is looking to be a second Moral Reform that's been slowly building for the last 5 years. I'd stress that these shouldn't be explosive and sudden changes in the way that TEA was, instead I'd like to see gradual but steady fracturing.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2014, 17:52 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran

Pretty sure us and the Caldari just got ours?

We've been given some changes, yes, but not much indicator of the impact of those changes.

V. Gesakaarin

My character lives in an effective bubble divorced from any real impacts of "Old World" politics. As such the NPC and factions seem to exist solely either as talking points or the occasional point-scoring on IGS by one party or another.

That said, I love my Haatakan Oiritsuu.  :cube:

PracticalTechnicality

My character lives in an effective bubble divorced from any real impacts of "Old World" politics. As such the NPC and factions seem to exist solely either as talking points or the occasional point-scoring on IGS by one party or another.

That said, I love my Haatakan Oiritsuu.  :cube:

Seconding this, although I wish they'd flesh out more characters than just the opposing forces of Oiritsuu and Reppola (Gariushi lite, Liberal Byron, many other names besides).  With the importance of corporate culture to every nation in New Eden, you'd think the NPC movers and shakers would have a little more flesh on their literary bones. 

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

If I ignore everything that is non-IC access only, Jamyl is a great character.

Its only when Tony Gs idiocy of a novel comes in that she gets stupid.

As for the players who saw her die bit... Her "survival" was the most foreshadowed thing CCP has ever followed through with. The only thing more foreshadowed in the first five years was the Ammatar crisis that never really happened.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2014, 07:43 by Gaven Lok ri »

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain

This is what I did. No real problems with the character that way.

Lyn Farel

Well, it's here, it happened, it is canon, so it exists. I can plug my ears as much as I want and play the ostrich, that will never make the character any better, no matter what they try to do to fix it. Instead, they kill good, balanced, and faillible characters like Midular.

Oh right... she also got harmed by TonyG.

To hell with that, burn her too.

Its only when Tony Gs idiocy of a novel comes in that she gets stupid.

As for the players who saw her die bit... Her "survival" was the most foreshadowed thing CCP has ever followed through with. The only thing more foreshadowed in the first five years was the Ammatar crisis that never really happened.

I don't see how it was foreshadowed at all.

Or I could also expect Midular to come back in a few years because you press a button and it's awesome, and then tell that it was foreshadowed. Yeah, I am pretty sure she will come back, it's obvious she is not dead.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

Well, if it's for TonyG's novel, then you have to throw out the entire background not just a character or two, imho.

I'm content with how the characters get represented by now, mostly, but not really happy:
The living history of EVE has a big problem all worlds with a living history have, of which I know. For one, the writers have their little pet projects which they look after, but no one really considers how these all fit together. It's simply that they have a 'great idea', write about it, and then it gets dumped and next time they turn some chars around or twist some previously established facts just to suit their story.
Second, the players are not really involved in shaping the history. We've seen that time and again. to CCP's credit there were a few events where players got successfully involved in shaping the history, but by large the 'living history' of EVE is weirdly disconnected with what players do. Just think of the Sansha plotline: How often have incursions been beaten back by now? What did happen? When have we last time heared from Sansha? Does anyone really know who is winning or loosing this conflict? Is there any indication? As far as we know tomorrow will be pretty much like the first days of incursions and the day after as well. After implementing the game mechanics, the plotline got static.
The same is true for FW, to give another example.

And that, does ofcourse reflect on the chracters. And mostly poorly so.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2014, 04:20 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

accidental double post.

Vincent Pryce

Hail to the King, baby.

Most of the PF characters are wank, idiotic and simply unlikable. I'd complain about how poorly they stay true to their respective characters but depending who's writing them at the time they vary so drastically. We have ridiculous caricatures of people. The SpaceLesbian Schitzo-Nympho Psychic, The Villain now in limbo previously known as the Prince Nazi, The "I Hit Things To Solve Them" -Brute and... Voldemort, but with added nose. Of course my favourite is the Witch Hermit on a Magical Space Rock, Doing special rap magic removing kebabs from the premises at the helm of her crime cartel.

Even the "supporting" characters make no sense. Oiritsuu is one moment pissing herself scared and whimpering and with a flip of a coin supercool flowercutter tossing out veiled threats. I mean, if I wanted to read about the shenanigans of Starscream I have way better venues for that. Most other side folks are just not even worth mentioning.

The King went and had his own God's promised land, but with blackjack and hookers. He kept on being a smartass with a throne, but again some wanktard decided that "no wait, lets have him go back to fold instead." and yeah... At least his still a smartass.

Granted CCP has tried to fix some of the wank to better direction, but all the same it leaves them a mess of things at best. Slowly they seem to be trying to mop up the mess, but... they also leave a lot of spills around.

Stop, drop and lol is the way to deal with PF characters and their consistency.
Pages: [1] 2 3