Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PIE Inc. (also known more formally as Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris) is the oldest pod-pilot corporation loyal to the Amarr Empire? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are you happy with how prime fiction characters are portrayed ?  (Read 4855 times)

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger

Way I see it there are a couple options to those who enjoy politics and the drama of war:

Wait on overly simple and one-dimesional characters to provide well written content via empires.

or,

Sort through a literal pile of dicks to find the good political and war drama RP in null.

Neither are great options honestly. personally, I go for a mix of both to minimize the amount  I have to be exposed to either while still getting my content and story

Lyn Farel

I don't think we are going to see player influenced PF content anymore. CCP seems to have chosen the path of non bias and favoritism, as shown with dev actors in channels, official channels, and their more general stance on the matter.

And i'm not especially complaining tbh, considering the experience of all those years.

Hail to the King, baby.

Most of the PF characters are wank, idiotic and simply unlikable. I'd complain about how poorly they stay true to their respective characters but depending who's writing them at the time they vary so drastically. We have ridiculous caricatures of people. The SpaceLesbian Schitzo-Nympho Psychic, The Villain now in limbo previously known as the Prince Nazi, The "I Hit Things To Solve Them" -Brute and... Voldemort, but with added nose. Of course my favourite is the Witch Hermit on a Magical Space Rock, Doing special rap magic removing kebabs from the premises at the helm of her crime cartel.

Even the "supporting" characters make no sense. Oiritsuu is one moment pissing herself scared and whimpering and with a flip of a coin supercool flowercutter tossing out veiled threats. I mean, if I wanted to read about the shenanigans of Starscream I have way better venues for that. Most other side folks are just not even worth mentioning.

The King went and had his own God's promised land, but with blackjack and hookers. He kept on being a smartass with a throne, but again some wanktard decided that "no wait, lets have him go back to fold instead." and yeah... At least his still a smartass.

Granted CCP has tried to fix some of the wank to better direction, but all the same it leaves them a mess of things at best. Slowly they seem to be trying to mop up the mess, but... they also leave a lot of spills around.

Stop, drop and lol is the way to deal with PF characters and their consistency.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2014, 13:40 by Lyn Farel »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

You aren't going to find Jamyl being forshadowed in the published stuff. It was more a word of mouth from event actors to sarumite players sort of thing.

The rumor that Jamyl never died was about the one constant rumor in the four years running up to FW. Talk to Graelyn sometime if you want the more inside story.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

A rumor so rumorey that only people who heard the gossip first hand know about it? Now that's epic.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Yeeeeeaaah...

From what I've heard of it, it was only rumored to a very few people... but to those people, it was 'rumored' in the 'brick wall to the face' kind of way.

:shenanigans:
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

Yep. But side effect is that *everyone* in Amarr RP for the first five years had a hunch that Jamyl might be coming back or that she was still alive.

We have all sorts of notes for newbies in the older PIE PF material going "don't listen to people who say she is alive."

Also, there was the whole house Sarum never picking a heir thing.  That added a lot of weight to the rumors.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

You aren't going to find Jamyl being forshadowed in the published stuff. It was more a word of mouth from event actors to sarumite players sort of thing.

The rumor that Jamyl never died was about the one constant rumor in the four years running up to FW. Talk to Graelyn sometime if you want the more inside story.

Mah shotgun'z loaded with TEXT.

I wasn't around for the Amarr Tournament, but after wandering haplessly into the ImpApoc event with PIE/Oracle that shoved me face-first into RP forever, I started doing my homework.

The Sarum Team at that tourament had been stacked with BNC/BoB. The prevailing theory was that they were chosen for Sarum by the devs to make sure that side won, and that their defeat by Elliptical and co. was a screw-up. I had been reading chatlogs that someone had posted of the aftermath of the tourney, in which one of the Sarum team (Discorporation or Dianabolic, not sure which) had openly stated something along the lines of "Oh well, they'll bring her back anyways, she was supposed to win".

When I saw this offhanded comment, which was made in public, (and in a twisted way I could barely justify as IC info), I kept it in mind. I was still crafting Graelyn's central design ideas, and as a Progressive manipulator-type character, it seemed like a crucial key; to save the Empire's future, I had to keep a hardline reclaimer like Jamyl off the throne if I could. Plus, the comment's source gave it weight; even back then everyone knew that BoB and the Devs were in cahoots, the extent of which would become painfully apparent years later in a series of controversies better documented elsewhere...

When the Tetrimon first re-appeared, I led the loyalist Amarr forces trying to stop them. It wasn't because I was anything special, I just happened to be the first guy to notice the blue text in the Amarr channel that evening (hooray for being deployed to Japan and playing odd pacific timezones!). While most loyalists chased the Order to destroy them before they found a nest in the Empire, the Sarumites (Mirial and her Seraphs) 'joined' our efforts...to sabotage them. Bad info was leaked, fabricated sightings were reported, and I led our response group chasing after the bad data. We got owned; the Order made it to safe haven without us getting within 10 jumps of anything Tetrimon.

When I realized this, I started taking Mirial and co. seriously. Here was a powerful corporation, with lots of members, BPOs, manufacturing, assets, and PvPers. I decided then that if Jamyl made a return to power and ever reached out to capsuleers, this group would certainly be her right hand.

Aegis Militia was founded in an attempt to get my liberal corp (The Aeternus Crusade) deep into bed with the Sarumites, so when the critical moment came, I would be in perfect position to strike what I hoped to be a critical blow.

Man, we really thought they would let us influence things back then. A tough illusion to break yourself of....anyways....

Istvaan's Great Heist, of which Mirial and Ubiqua Seraph were the target, put my corp in better standing within the Alliance; they actually needed us now, and we stuck with them loyally after the disaster (The heist happened 30 hours after the foundation of AM). I was able to craft the charter and eventually stack the voting process to control things, mainly in an effort to keep the Sarumites from fighting PIE/CVA, something they were always chomping at the bit at every opportunity to do.

Once Mirial got banned for cheating, AM was in my complete control. The Tetrimon were murdered in my own tower by Imperial dreads, and no one had cried Foul...the path was set. Now the hand that would be called upon was Me.

And then TonyG happened. All for nothing. Jamyl did her thing during a day's downtime and all the crazy RPer machinations and the many players involved just vanished overnight, never to return.

It really was a different game for me back then. It's hard to really state how much I miss it.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 07:46 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ollie

• Egger

I wasn't around for the Amarr Tournament, but after wandering haplessly into the ImpApoc event with PIE/Oracle that shoved me face-first into RP forever, I started doing my homework.

The Sarum Team at that tourament had been stacked with BNC/BoB. The prevailing theory was that they were chosen for Sarum by the devs to make sure that side won, and that their defeat by Elliptical and co. was a screw-up. I had been reading chatlogs that someone had posted of the aftermath of the tourney, in which one of the Sarum team (Discorporation or Dianabolic, not sure which) had openly stated something along the lines of "Oh well, they'll bring her back anyways, she was supposed to win".

When I saw this offhanded comment, which was made in public, (and in a twisted way I could barely justify as IC info), I kept it in mind. I was still crafting Graelyn's central design ideas, and as a Progressive manipulator-type character, it seemed like a crucial key; to save the Empire's future, I had to keep a hardline reclaimer like Jamyl off the throne if I could. Plus, the comment's source gave it weight; even back then everyone knew that BoB and the Devs were in cahoots, the extent of which would become painfully apparent years later in a series of controversies better documented elsewhere...

When the Tetrimon first re-appeared, I led the loyalist Amarr forces trying to stop them. It wasn't because I was anything special, I just happened to be the first guy to notice the blue text in the Amarr channel that evening (hooray for being deployed to Japan and playing odd pacific timezones!). While most loyalists chased the Order to destroy them before they found a nest in the Empire, the Sarumites (Mirial and her Seraphs) 'joined' our efforts...to sabotage them. Bad info was leaked, fabricated sightings were reported, and I led our response group chasing after the bad data. We got owned; the Order made it to safe haven without us getting within 10 jumps of anything Tetrimon.

When I realized this, I started taking Mirial and co. seriously. Here was a powerful corporation, with lots of members, BPOs, manufacturing, assets, and PvPers. I decided then that if Jamyl made a return to power and ever reached out to capsuleers, this group would certainly be her right hand.

Aegis Militia was founded in an attempt to get my liberal corp (The Aeternus Crusade) deep into bed with the Sarumites, so when the critical moment came, I would be in perfect position to strike what I hoped to be a critical blow.

Man, we really thought they would let us influence things back then. A tough illusion to break yourself of....anyways....

Istvaan's Great Heist, of which Mirial and Ubiqua Seraph were the target, put my corp in better standing within the Alliance; they actually needed us now, and we stuck with them loyally after the disaster (The heist happened 30 hours after the foundation of AM). I was able to craft the charter and eventually stack the voting process to control things, mainly in an effort to keep the Sarumites from fighting PIE/CVA, something they were always chomping at the bit at every opportunity to do.

Once Mirial got banned for cheating, AM was in my complete control. The Tetrimon were murdered in my own tower by Imperial dreads, and no one had cried Foul...the path was set. Now the hand that would be called upon was Me.

And then TonyG happened. All for nothing. Jamyl did her thing during a day's downtime and all the crazy RPer machinations and the many players involved just vanished overnight, never to return.

It really was a different game for me back then. It's hard to really state how much I miss it.

This is what should have been in the first Eve: True Stories arc.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

I see the Empress is winning.

Vive la SpaceLesbian.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I wish I played in your era.

Also, I rather be ruled by King Khanid than any of the other choices.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!

With current portrayal of prime fiction characters I am strongly dissatisfied.
I won't talk about others, but one, that is related to my character(s) - well, practically, all of them. It is a former leader of Caldari State, Tibus Heth.

At first, it was one of strongest figures, real "hero", from IC point of view. Saving peoples from under the fire, while being just a MTAC worker, or running along regular soldiers during planet takeover, while being leader of the whole empire of numerous star systems. You know, that's rather unique. Then, returning Caldari Prime, all these "meritocracy" reforms... and even attempts to unify Caldari and bring them "glory of old age".

But what happens next?..
Complete incompetence, not only his, but whole State.
Federation attacks Caldari Prime, and with what State replies?.. With nothing.
Heth makes a speech, and crowd becomes aggressive. What Heth does?.. Hides.
He, who was taking that Armory Forge thinking, he would die there, was afraid of just angry mob? Really?..
Why he ignored CEP's and KK attacks on him?..
Why he did nothing, allowing his name to be tarnished, his corporation and his State taken away?..
Why he captured station, that was his anyway?..
It was like two complete different characters. One - selfless Caldari hero, who was even ready to sacrifice his own life, but prevent Caldari blood from spilling. Second - downtrodden scaredy diffident "dictator", running to save his worthless life.

That's just humiliating for Caldari, you know?

P.S.
Glory and Beep Boop to Empress Synthia 01  :bear:

V. Gesakaarin

As for Tibus Heth, he rose to power during a period in which the State was entering an economic recession due to Trade Agreement rifts and decreased exports with the Amarr Empire that appeared to have caused increased unemployment and decreased worker conditions that resulted in the Brothers of Freedom riots across the State, and its being put down with a degree of violent repression by the Megacorporations.

As such, the concept of there being a widespread embrace of nationalism by the masses and the installation of a strong leader by the elites and those in the upper echelons of power in the State fearing widespread revolt never really bothered me, since it appeared sound. However, I do think there was a failure in execution with how things arose with Heth, the CPD and the New Meritocracy. Everything regarding it just bordered on the point of it might as well being magic. Heth needs capital to buy stocks, presto, there's the Broker. Heth needs a casus belli against the Federation, presto, Nyx on Station action. Heth needs a surprise attack on the Federation, presto, how lucky there's a traitor Admiral.

And so on.

The only things that did in fact make sense was that with the way Heth was portrayed as essentially the fool that got lucky due to TonyG he did get toppled by people who actually understood power and politics. Because I guess when you've got the intelligence of a forklift driver you're always going to get outplayed by those that actually know the game of corporate politics. Although I think it's too bad that Heth wasn't cut more from the cloth of say, a Georgian peasant, who had the cunning and guile to use a time of revolution to build an unassailable position of power; create a cult of personality around themselves; use the CPD as the secret police to kill and arrest all those who would dare oppose him; and divide then conquer the Megacorp CEO's one by one in order to create the vision of an all-powerful State.

But Heth wasn't. Instead it seems he just wasn't smart or ruthless enough to bring his vision into reality.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

For Lithium and Veik:

Having a scan over EVE Source, it seems to be the case that Derj's Disease, which Tibus Heth suffered, preventing him from ever being pod-capable (something to do with cloning as I remember), also seems to be described as a cause of, direct quote; "instability".

It's not set up as a simple "mad dictator is mad", it's more complex and other factors have been mentioned, but it's worth remembering when considering why he crumbled so spectacularly.

Edit: Also, Derj's disease is described as "wasting" i.e. it's gotten worse as time goes on. Stress from leadership probably hasn't helped either.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, the book seems to indicate a good 50/50 he's still alive. They found his watch, covered in blood, but not him. Interestingly, it doesn't say whose blood it is.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2014, 08:53 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Do I remember correctly that Heth's portrayal in later chrons had him displaying physical tics and spasms? Like a twitch of the eye or incessant clicking of a pen?

Vincent Pryce

Tibus Heth and his Caldari State is nothing but a bad copy/paste from the history books, added with mild sci-fi coating. It seems Source is only enforcing this stereotype.

Which again sounds they aren't even trying anymore and have the lazy on them - or this is all still TonyG era crap that just needs to be filtered out before new stuff is written.
Pages: 1 [2] 3