Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SOE and Propel Dynamics?  (Read 3832 times)

V. Gesakaarin

SOE and Propel Dynamics?
« on: 07 Dec 2013, 10:34 »

So I was looking at the in-game model of the Stratios and saw that it had a "Propel Dynamics" logo. Investigating further I got the description of the corporation:

Propel Dynamics was founded by the team that discovered the first functional warp drive for short jumps within a system. Though it has never managed to live up to its early expectation the company has always turned out innovative and interesting designs that have driven the field of propulsion forward.

Which seemed to match this bit:

And lastly, an ingenious but cryptic transfer in part of the warp core functionality to an outlying cylindrical structure means the Stratios is able to run certain higher-level cloaking functions with very little technical cost, and minimal interference from warp. The Sisters of EVE have refused to comment on this technology, other than to recommend it not be tampered with.

Then I looked at the Stratios warp ring and it has: Chemal Tech, Eifyr and Co. and Zero G Research firm. So I'm wondering now what sort of super shady corporate shenanigans the SOE has been involved with to build their spaceships involving:

- Propel Dynamics a Caldari warp drive R&D firm
- Eifyr and Co. a shady krusual R&D firm suspected of making boosters
- Chemal Tech an Gallente electronics and EWAR manufacturer
- Zero G Research a Caldari habitat module supplier

Outsourced the research, design, and manufacture to the above by funneling some of their charitable donations or is there something more to it?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: SOE and Propel Dynamics?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2013, 11:10 »

Sanctuary are the people who actually developed the ships, not SoE corp. So, yes... plenty of shady dealings.

Propel Dynamics made the warp ring, so you're spot on there. Zero-G likely made the modular rescue habs that can be jettisoned. Eiyfer & Co do lots of tech work other than boosters, so no telling there. Chemal Tech, ehh... probably the hacking bonuses there.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2013, 11:32 »

They should have also renamed the Stratios something more like Stratios GTR Evo Sport edition with all the corporate sponsors it has on it.

Maybe put some carbon fibre body kit and neon running lights too.

But yeah, it seems like there's a very interesting story behind the Stratios and the Astero development project.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2013, 12:01 »

They should have also renamed the Stratios something more like Stratios GTR Evo Sport edition with all the corporate sponsors it has on it.

But yeah, it seems like there's a very interesting story behind the Stratios and the Astero development project.

I think more ships should have development branding on them, especially T1 ships.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2013, 12:11 »

I think more ships should have development branding on them, especially T1 ships.

Don't we have that breakdown somewhere for the Wyvern or Chimera?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2013, 12:17 »

Don't we have that breakdown somewhere for the Wyvern or Chimera?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S07zqyWByF8&list=PL989256B68D78EC0E

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2013, 13:50 »

That would be really cool. I'd like to see more 'civilian' looking ships in general.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2013, 16:32 »

There's a Carthum Conglomerate logo on/near the engine housing too, by the way.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #8 on: 07 Dec 2013, 17:17 »

Propel and Zero-G are Kaalakiota subsidiaries.
You are RPing wrong.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #9 on: 07 Dec 2013, 18:00 »

So guys, I'm not the only one that remembers how that whole Templis Dragonaurs fleet Tibus Heth was in yeah? The one that was sort of... probed down, shot at with lasers, and the guys who did it just disappeared as suddenly as they came like they had some sort of cloaking devices?  :twisted:

edit: Is it wrong for me to imagine Haatakan Oiritsuu, in some Stratios prototype corporate G6 edition with Tibus Heth in the fancy modular CSAR bay all banged up, grinning at him while whispering, "See, I have you now motherfucker. Let me she you my garden dear."?
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2013, 18:09 by V. Gesakaarin »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 07 Dec 2013, 19:41 »

"racecar.." "STOP READING MY MIND ;)

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #11 on: 07 Dec 2013, 20:34 »

So guys, I'm not the only one that remembers how that whole Templis Dragonaurs fleet Tibus Heth was in yeah? The one that was sort of... probed down, shot at with lasers, and the guys who did it just disappeared as suddenly as they came like they had some sort of cloaking devices?  :twisted:

edit: Is it wrong for me to imagine Haatakan Oiritsuu, in some Stratios prototype corporate G6 edition with Tibus Heth in the fancy modular CSAR bay all banged up, grinning at him while whispering, "See, I have you now motherfucker. Let me she you my garden dear."?

I take it then, that the story line folks didn't finish the job by getting rid of of Oiritsuu too.   
You are RPing wrong.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #12 on: 07 Dec 2013, 21:39 »

Oiritsuu is an original Kaalakiota badass that trolls every katana wielding Caldari honour-fiend with her sociopathic tendencies and penchant for gardening.  :lol:

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2013, 02:20 »

Nah, not wrong. It's a possibility and certainly not the most far fetched of the many out there. It sort of overlooks the fact that while Kk contributed some parts any Stratios prototype would actually be Sanctuary produced (and property) and that the Stratios is the ship it is because it's the the sum of all its parts not just the KK ones. Still a good theory though.

To put an extra tin-foil hat into the theory-crafting, the system where Heth's fleet was first sighted sits adjacent to Cloud Ring nullsec, from memory. I think SoE holds a few systems in central Cloud Ring doesn't it, not too many jumps from the border with Black Rise.

SoE have a few subsidiary functions - one of which is medical research, which might be interested in Heth's illness.

What if (as you suggest) it was a Stratios prototype that collected him later that same week, just not one piloted by the usual empire or pirate faction suspects?

Transgressive Nikilaiki

• Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 08 Dec 2013, 11:59 »

Outsourced the research, design, and manufacture to the above by funneling some of their charitable donations or is there something more to it?
More likely they used their connections to acquire experimental designs from various pirate/independent factions, and then made deals with external manufacturers inside the Empires with the resources to finish the development. For instance, the drive ring was probably acquired from the Intaki.

Sanctuary has very fascinating objectives, and as the old saying goes, "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." Capsuleers lead the charge in wormhole space but are at odds with The Sanctuary's core goal of protecting humanity (Capsuleers are destroyers blah blah blah). So if they give anything to capsuleers it's for mutual benefit.

Why would Sanctuary/SoE be the ones to distribute this technology? With the war, using technology from competing powers is not feasible for any single manufacturer. Working together through an intermediary (SoE), they stand to make a profit by selling to as many customers as possible. Since none of the manufacturers are making the entire item themselves, their risk is minimal.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense for the manufacturers to agree to the deal. They get access to tech they don't normally have available. From SoE's perspective, they're profiting from the use of Capsuleers to further their goals. The pirates/independents are probably making a pretty penny as well as making new connections they can use to their advantage at a later date.

Win/win any way you look at it, and it makes sense in the context of the setting. Here's hoping CCP doesn't ruin it by trying to explain things in more "realistic detail".

:psyccp:
Pages: [1] 2