Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The command division of the Angel Cartel is called the Dominations.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SOE and Propel Dynamics?  (Read 3831 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: SOE and Propel Dynamics?
« Reply #15 on: 08 Dec 2013, 14:17 »

So guys, I'm not the only one that remembers how that whole Templis Dragonaurs fleet Tibus Heth was in yeah? The one that was sort of... probed down, shot at with lasers, and the guys who did it just disappeared as suddenly as they came like they had some sort of cloaking devices?  :twisted:

I admit this thought passed through my head as soon as the stats for the Astero/Stratios became public. I also went back and checked where Heth had vanished from, coming to a similar conclusion to Ollie above. If this is true, it turns all of our rage and griping about Heth being Sansha'd into an impressive meta-level troll on the part of both CCP and the Sisters.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #16 on: 08 Dec 2013, 16:50 »

Oiritsuu is an original Kaalakiota badass that trolls every katana wielding Caldari honour-fiend with her sociopathic tendencies and penchant for gardening.  :lol:

If you ignore the part where she changed Kaalakiota's mission from making sure the State had the strongest economy, most advanced weapons, best trained military and preserved it's culture against the influence of the other Empires into a caricature of Omni Consumer Products.     She's Doctor Evil with boobs and gardening shears.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2013, 16:53 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2013, 19:19 »

I have always thought Oiritsuu is a great character because she's just this cynical and Machiavellan type of Caldari leader inured to all the top level corporate realpolitik. Then again, I didn't mind Heth either because it's just RP and I'm fine with reacting to situations as they happen - not playing my chosen faction has to be the best ever.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #18 on: 08 Dec 2013, 23:06 »

We get it. You like bad guys.  :P  :cube:

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #19 on: 09 Dec 2013, 00:02 »

Well I didn't think Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men or Keyser Soze in The Usual Suspects were bad guys as much as just clever and interesting types of characters.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 09 Dec 2013, 06:01 »

this is one of those little gems i love about Backstage, when someone notices something and starts weaving the meta-plot that CCP supposedly made for "us"

Makoto Priano

« Reply #21 on: 09 Dec 2013, 17:16 »

Re: SOE ships. Interestingly, the high-res shot of the Nestor here points at the ring as 'ZG technology.' However, my guess is that's an artist's random note, and not from the lore gurus. Given that ZG is listed as a habitat producer, it definitely makes a lot more sense that Propel Dynamics is the one responsible for the novel warp system-- especially seeing as the name is plastered in a bunch of places on the Stratios, while the ZG logo is much more thin on the ground.

Re: Oiritsuu, Chigurh, and Keyser Soze. Chigurh and Keyser Soze are amazing! But they're mostly intended as foils for the protagonist, sort of a force-of-nature antagonist whose existence provides the driving force of the plot without necessarily providing a dynamic or human antagonist. Oiritsuu-- and I say this having read Wild Earth, Templar One, and the Empyrean Age --is painted as a sadistic genius whose plans span years and entrap lesser mortals. The thing is-- well. She just comes across as this notion of a sadistic genius, a shell of grimdark character whose macabre tendencies serve as a vehicle for TonyG's painful attempts at lurid, provocative prose. This is probably more my reaction to TonyG's writing than the idea of Oiritsuu as a character, though.

Really, I'm just hoping that the current slowdown of in-game news is because Eterne & Co are busy writing the EVE Source book.

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #22 on: 09 Dec 2013, 18:06 »

Really, I'm just hoping that the current slowdown of in-game news is because Eterne & Co are busy writing the EVE Source book.

My thought excactly. Which I will be on the looksie on Fanfest.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #23 on: 09 Dec 2013, 19:34 »

Oiritsuu-- and I say this having read Wild Earth, Templar One, and the Empyrean Age --is painted as a sadistic genius whose plans span years and entrap lesser mortals. The thing is-- well. She just comes across as this notion of a sadistic genius, a shell of grimdark character whose macabre tendencies serve as a vehicle for TonyG's painful attempts at lurid, provocative prose. This is probably more my reaction to TonyG's writing than the idea of Oiritsuu as a character, though.

What makes me laugh is that the two chronicles that make mention of Oiritsuu, one is written by Abraxes and one is written by Falcon where the portrayal of the woman differs greatly in my view than with TonyG. The same goes for how Tibus Heth was written in the chronicles by Abraxes or the CCP storyline team compared to TonyG. Just because TonyG is a terrible writer doesn't mean the rest of the CCP story team are.

Then again, sometimes I think RP'ers are the sort of people who'd read Othello and complain bitterly that Iago is just a grimdark, moustache twirling villain that lacks any sort of depth of character, without realizing that without him there wouldn't be a play in the first place.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:19 »

Pretty much any sentence containing the word "just" is a massive oversimplification at best, and at worst a complete lie.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:29 »

You're just saying that!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2013, 05:03 »

I'm not entirely sure how anyone's supposed to take him seriously when he's not a parrot voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

It's kind of immersion-breaking.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2]