Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mordu's Legion was formed of Intakis exiled from the Federation for their support for the Caldari? For more read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Watch out! I'm Armed!  (Read 6328 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Watch out! I'm Armed!
« on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:17 »

As mentioned in this update, CCP will soon introduce cybernetic arms.

As part of the Rubicon release, we’ll be unveiling a new body modification option for Capsuleers:  Cybernetic arms.

Mystery Code holders will be receiving the exclusive ‘Phanca’ Cybernetic Arm to sport on their characters.

Note that alternative cybernetic arm models will be available to all players at a later date.

I'm going to guess you have to pay real money to get them.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: Watch out! I'm Armed!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:31 »

I sure some that will have them will put them on market/contracts.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:44 »

Upon closer inspection, I had to wonder...can these arms flex at all?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:53 »

I'm just hoping they come out with some in pairs. Amieta has had prosthetic arms since before I made an actual alt for her, but I've had to make do with long sleeves in her portraits etc.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:58 »

Probably made of synthetic bendium or something vOv  :psyccp:
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:24 »

I found myself wondering the same thing. It's like the designer sort of forgot how arms work.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:07 »

Most likely going to come out on the Aurum store hopefuly not for a stupid amount of money, alltho you could just ask people who are geting the collectors edition if they want to sell it to you I know I'm going to be selling my one

Odelya

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:28 »

Most likely going to come out on the Aurum store hopefuly not for a stupid amount of money, alltho you could just ask people who are geting the collectors edition if they want to sell it to you I know I'm going to be selling my one
There'll be similar items, but not this specific one.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:31 »

Yes, because it's just a really realistic paint job tattoo thing, not an actual cyber arm.  :psyccp:

It's a regular arm model with a tattoo layer, and I'm inclined to assume that's what it actually is IC.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:41 »

Yes, because it's just a really realistic paint job tattoo thing, not an actual cyber arm.  :psyccp:

It's a regular arm model with a tattoo layer, and I'm inclined to assume that's what it actually is IC.

While I think I understand what you're saying, I'm not entirely sure of the assumption about it being a tattoo IC.

Dev posts aren't exactly PF, but this one seems to strongly suggest CCP regards them as actual cybernetic limbs. I don't know if they show up under the Tattoo category in the character creator or if they're being given their own category which would further reinforce this idea.

Sure the graphics and game tech behind it is probably as you've said - a re-skin of the tattoo layer - but you could make an argument that hair, eyebrows, lipstick and other makeup make use of the same or similar layers and I don't see too many people ICly saying 'That's a remarkable shade of puce you've had your eyelids permanently inked with'.

I guess what I'm saying with regards to that claim being made IC is 'Danger! Danger! There be the possibility of Derp!' and also long threads on the IGS or in the Summit full of bleh circular arguments :)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:46 »

While I think I understand what you're saying, I'm not entirely sure of the assumption about it being a tattoo IC.

Dev posts aren't exactly PF, but this one seems to strongly suggest CCP regards them as actual cybernetic limbs. I don't know if they show up under the Tattoo category in the character creator or if they're being given their own category which would further reinforce this idea.

Sure the graphics and game tech behind it is probably as you've said - a re-skin of the tattoo layer - but you could make an argument that hair, eyebrows, lipstick and other makeup make use of the same or similar layers and I don't see too many people ICly saying 'That's a remarkable shade of puce you've had your eyelids permanently inked with'.

I guess what I'm saying with regards to that claim being made IC is 'Danger! Danger! There be the possibility of Derp!' and also long threads on the IGS or in the Summit full of bleh circular arguments :)

No no no no. Shhhhh. Don't ruin my carefully constructed logical view of the world around me. Don't ruin it. >_<

I also don't intend to call anyone out and tell them what their character is wearing. I'm just trying to explain to my incredulous self that it's not a cybernetic arm.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:17 »

I'm pretty sure there's no visible fixed shoulder, elbow or arm joints because there'd be no way to make them look good without also changing the physics and modeling of the arm. So the entire area is white, smooth, uniform "bendium" plastic. If there were visible seams, you could see them shift over where the actual joint would be, skin-like.

Somewhere in CCP headquarters, the guy that made this is gnawing on his desk.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:17 »

If I buy the CE, I will not have Egivand wear this arm, because smooth plastic nanofibre muscles isn't Minmatar enough. I demand hydraulic rust-red with wires and duct tape and bolts on it.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:29 »

If it works like the tattoos there would be right and left arm options. Hopefully they will have both. I will have one if someone needs it.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2013, 00:34 »

I'm just hoping they come out with some in pairs. Amieta has had prosthetic arms since before I made an actual alt for her, but I've had to make do with long sleeves in her portraits etc.

Amieta was the first one I thought of when I saw this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4