Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Watch out! I'm Armed!  (Read 6326 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Watch out! I'm Armed!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2013, 09:51 »

Microtransactions have been the most disruptive thing to ever happen to computer and video games. I hate everything about it and what they've done to gaming and game design.

it's what pushed me out of console games and I despise that aurum is a part of eve.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:14 »

And PLEX ? :tongueincheek:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:31 »

I think its more about accessing content that is unavailable unless you spend real money.

You can buy a plex or you can grind missions, the time scale is just different.   No one is getting aurum items without spending $$.  Or gold pods, etc.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:34 »

Just the exclusive items, actually. You can convert a PLEX into 3500 AUR, unless I'm misremembering things.

Odelya

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2013, 11:23 »

I think its more about accessing content that is unavailable unless you spend real money.

You can buy a plex or you can grind missions, the time scale is just different.   No one is getting aurum items without spending $$.  Or gold pods, etc.
Yeah, but golden pods and C3PO arms aren't really making any gameplay difference, are they? If people want to spend 150$/€ for a book, an usb hub and a board game, it's their choice. (I'd prefer 150€ in cash and the Golden Pot to the Golden Pod a hundred times.) But if they would design decent Khanid clothes, I'd spend a bit. Anyhow, I never spend or bought AURUM, yet do posses an array of NeX stuff. I think the system works well.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:54 »

Yeah, but golden pods and C3PO arms aren't really making any gameplay difference, are they? If people want to spend 150$/€ for a book, an usb hub and a board game, it's their choice. (I'd prefer 150€ in cash and the Golden Pot to the Golden Pod a hundred times.) But if they would design decent Khanid clothes, I'd spend a bit. Anyhow, I never spend or bought AURUM, yet do posses an array of NeX stuff. I think the system works well.

I know it is entirely cosmetic but that's not the point.  I always take issue with selling exclusivity to certain people in games.   

I'm a dinosaur, but in the stone-age you paid your money and you had just as much access to content as everyone else for the same price.

Anslol

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:57 »

Confirming this MMO noob agrees with the dino-vitalia. Exclusive items for $ is fucking stupid. MMOs are meant to be, in my mind, a great equalizer. You get as much out of it as you put in (sometimes) and all the RL $ in the world can't give you any edge or uniqueness. But then shit like this comes along and...blah. Stupid. Just stupid. Cosmetic or not, it's fucking stupid.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:02 »

$$ for game money is a bit more nebulous, as the things you get with PLEX are also available through in-game sweat and toil.  Maybe you work a full time job and don't have time to grind missions like other people do but you still want to compete.

It's the exclusive things that tick me off.

Anslol

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:06 »

I agree. Plex I get to an extent, as a lot of people in Eve have work, families, etc, and they don't want to spend what little game time they have grinding isk to do fun stuff. So sure, I get that.

But HURRHURR ONLY $ 4 DIS AITEM NO ISK U PLEB LOLOL annoys me.

And actually, when people DO have the time to grind isk, are RL rich, and just use that money to buy a shit ton of plexes to get isk to use against other people (decs, spying, ganking, etc), that pisses me off too.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:59 »

grinding isk to do fun stuff.

Maybe the issue lies in these 6 words.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2013, 23:09 »

Let's please bear in mind that this isn't a first-gen cyberpunk-type cyberarm. More like three hundred and fiftieth. Just because it looks metallic doesn't mean it ain't bendy, especially if it's a Gallente model.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:56 »

Confirming this MMO noob agrees with the dino-vitalia. Exclusive items for $ is fucking stupid. MMOs are meant to be, in my mind, a great equalizer. You get as much out of it as you put in (sometimes) and all the RL $ in the world can't give you any edge or uniqueness. But then shit like this comes along and...blah. Stupid. Just stupid. Cosmetic or not, it's fucking stupid.

Why would EVE, a game that prides itself on cutthroatness, attempt to bring 'equality' to an MMO?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Anslol

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:40 »

It transcends Eve Makkal. It has nothing to do with the game and more to do with what online gaming is. It doesn't matter if you're a billionaire in the real world or a burger flipper. The game equalizes all and only your skill puts you on top. Any game that allows you to buy your way to the top or buy your uniqueness is just blah. Eve is cutthroat because of the players and their abilities, not because they have a spare few thousand to spend to buy a golden bullet.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:51 »

This does nothing to stop you from being equal.  It is a vanity item.

Go shoot people with cybernetic arms.  It won't help them.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Anslol

« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:57 »

OK no I get that. As I said before, I get that. I know it's only a vanity item which is why I'm not really that annoyed. But like Silas, ANYTHING that you can get with real money and not in game money is kind of a bleh to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4