Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC  (Read 39497 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC
« Reply #30 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:22 »

It effectively means that the handful of times that event actors appeared at player-run-events, are now the last time any faction actor will appear at any player-run event.

"Hey, I have an idea for an even..." "NOPE".
"But, (e.g. PIE) had an actor appear at their thi..." "Nope"
"That sucks"

vOv
\o/

Anslol

« Reply #31 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:24 »

Eh, shit happens. It sucks but I can't be mad about it. Why should those actors only show up in certain player channels instead of somewhere everyone can see them?

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:25 »

That's all super and dandy, it's just the butthurt motivations behind it by certain people that are pathetic is all.

I understand and accept completely the possible need for a ccp-run destination for live events, actors, etc.

I strongly disagree with the complaints of a few people removing these things from ever happening from other player run locations.
But they shouldn't be happening in player-run locations in the first place. That's the whole point.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:26 »

That's all super and dandy, it's just the butthurt motivations behind it by certain people that are pathetic is all.

I understand and accept completely the possible need for a ccp-run destination for live events, actors, etc.

I strongly disagree with the complaints of a few people removing these things from ever happening from other player run locations.
But they shouldn't be happening in player-run locations in the first place. That's the whole point.

I don't seem to remember you having an issue interacting with the dev actors in my player run events? If you felt so strongly you wouldn't have been there?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:27 »

Eh, shit happens. It sucks but I can't be mad about it. Why should those actors only show up in certain player channels instead of somewhere everyone can see them?

Player-driven sandbox? vOv

Actors turning up in player-created places = world responding to player actions.
Actors on a stage = world is not affected by player actions.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:28 »

The RP community in its entirety is what like .05% of the playerbase?

We love this stuff, we pour our sweat and work into world building, events, creating a community of like minded roleplayers, and it's perfectly reasonable for us to get a freaking bone thrown at us from time to time.

It's always a few horrible people that see something happening they aren't a part of and COVET. JEALOUS AND COVET, and ruin things for others.

Anslol

« Reply #36 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:29 »

How is the CCP channel different from the player channel? It's not like the player channel doesn't moderate. The CCP channel will (within the EULA) actually let reactions occur...I think. I don't know.

I just can't be that mad. Makes sense to me. But ooooh man that channel's gonna get so much "LOLRPSCRUB" spam. I give it a day before goons flood it to prevent RP.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:33 »

I don't seem to remember you having an issue interacting with the dev actors in my player run events? If you felt so strongly you wouldn't have been there?
You don't seem to understand that my opinion is pretty much immaterial in this matter, as is yours and any other player's. CCP is now consistently enforcing its rules for where event actors appear.

However, if you're desperate to know about it, I'm afraid we'll have to continue this discussion somewhere else, as my opinion on the matter of live event actors in player-run channels is not one I'm comfortable discussing in public.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:37 »

However, if you're desperate to know about it...

Good to see you back to your usual tone, Ixiris! :P

I'm sure you've got some good points to make (no sarcasm) so out with it here if you become more comfortable with it

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #39 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:38 »

I would like to remind the denizens of the Summit and OOC that next to none of you rely on CCP for your daily dose of roleplay. You all rely on each other. Our events are player driven, our debates are player driven, our enjoyment is player driven. The CCP interaction that has been most critical to the survival of our (and any) roleplay community has been that of regular news and events.

In short, it is a self-sustaining roleplay community that CCP has only recently deigned to join in on occasionally because Falcon is an ex-Moderator at The Summit and Logibro is a former regular. It's been a blessing the few times they have popped in, and we're all very thankful for it, but good things must come to an end eventually. We all expected there to be a conflict of interests popping up eventually, as CCP is very strict about such things.

I personally am glad that CCP is setting up a more open and inclusive 'official' IGS channel. This will allow us the moderators to introduce or reinforce more strict guidelines for behavior and interaction while still allowing those less fitting for the channel to roleplay in the public sandbox instead of our higher quality private one.

Consider it this way. For a long while, our private playground has served as a public park for anybody who happened to wander past. It's done an admirable job, but we've been stymied by the unwritten responsibility to provide content to everybody, that we've on occasion had to take extraordinarily long to decide on removing troublemakers. On the other hand, those who don't even enjoy The Summit have been all but forced to remain there as there is no comparable option. Consider "The Sphere" experiment, and how many people flocked there to attempt a non-moderated channel.

Finally, we can separate those who don't belong here from those who do. Finally, they can separate themselves.

In my opinion? Good riddance, and good luck.

« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2013, 13:41 by Katrina Oniseki »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:42 »

No, this is a critically destructive change to CCP rules.

CCP devs in the past not only visited player channels as "courtesy calls" to do a bit of outreach and recognition, but encouraged players to react by forming their own channels and means of coordinating with devs. Remember Arek'jalaan, anyone? Player channels all over the place, many still enshrined in Evelopedia official pages. There is no way CCP didn't know about that, and this change reflects a colossal and crippling break from that communicative paradigm.

EDIT: Kat, you're misunderstanding the issue.

The problem isn't that there's now a CCP public channel for these things. The problem is that an actor is now forbidden to - IC or OOC - recognize the contributions of a segment of the RP playerbase by discussing anything with them in a private manner, even when factional loyalty would normally push them to. Upcoming plans, ongoing operations, fleet comms, thanks for aid in operations... these can no longer be given in anywhere but a "public" channel.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2013, 13:46 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:46 »

I'm sure you've got some good points to make (no sarcasm) so out with it here if you become more comfortable with it
Here's a hint: observe which faction the preponderence of events visited by CCP actors belonged to. Then consider the reasons why this is so.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:49 »

In short, it is a self-sustaining roleplay community that CCP has only recently deigned to join in on occasionally because Falcon is an ex-Moderator at The Summit and Logibro is a former regular.

I will break out my old person cane, but much like Esna just said, there is a long, long history of very cool, very fun, small-scale and small group RP activity that the devs would join in on and help facilitate.  Little arcs, little events.  These weren't big game-changing things, but little arcs for lots of factions, they'd run a week or two and then the team would move on to another group for another story.   

Not every event should involve every person.  I don't get jealous when 90% of live events are in highsec, with unrelated factions, at times where I am no where near available to participate. 

I'd rather lots of other people have fun more often, and me occasionally get to participate, than blanket bans on what has been some of the best interactions, plots, and world-building back-and-forth between the devs and players for years.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:49 »

Here's a hint: observe which faction the preponderence of events visited by CCP actors belonged to. Then consider the reasons why this is so.

As far as I know, the event actors turned up at player events for:

Blood raiders (one for the crimson saviour, one for Silas Vitalia's party)
PIE 10th anniversary ball
I think they turned up for a Gallente celebration thing ?

I don't remember any others. What events are you meaning ? List them please.
\o/

Anslol

« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:51 »

An SoE showed up in space during Federation day while Anslo et al. were skinny dipping in the founta-erm waving flags...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21