Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any point to playing Seri?  (Read 3942 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Any point to playing Seri?
« on: 02 Sep 2013, 17:20 »

So I caved in and returned after a month break, to find that reputation is everything and opinions are hard to change. I saw the Beansnakes channel was quite busy so I debated going in, but admittedly I was shy, so I sort of baited in an OOC channel...

[20:44:13] Seriphyn Inhonores > /emote wonders if he should go into beansnakes
[21:59:17] xxx > you can go in now, we all left.
[22:00:37] xxx > ^

Maybe I should have just dived in, but I spoke to someone on the side about stuff and the conversation was as below. The player has only been around for a couple months and it's alarming, really.

[22:49:57] Seriphyn Inhonores > what do you hear about seri ic/ooc?
[22:50:03] xxx > Lots of stuff.
[22:50:09] xxx > From lots of people, none of it good.
[22:50:28] Seriphyn Inhonores > why?
[22:51:03] xxx > Why what?
[22:51:10] Seriphyn Inhonores > i haven't done anything wrong
[22:54:00] Seriphyn Inhonores > esp. that i was gone for a month
[22:54:55] Seriphyn Inhonores > what do they say?
[22:55:13] xxx > Lots.
[22:55:41] Seriphyn Inhonores > like?
[22:56:10] xxx > [22:55:13] xxx > Lots.
[22:57:01] Seriphyn Inhonores > would you/they rather see me gone?
[22:57:20] xxx > I would think yes.
[22:57:37] Seriphyn Inhonores > don't you think that's all a little sophomoric?
[22:59:39] xxx > A bit, but I can't say they're wrong.

I can't exactly start a new character because EVE RPers love to try and identify who the player is, and if that was revealed, the OOC bad mojo would creep in again. Combine that with the fact I'm a terrible deceiver so the facade wouldn't last long anyway. It seems hopeless.

I mean, I RP with individual characters on a 1-on-1 basis but that feels compartmentalized and on some different continuity. I see characters that are alts that by default lack the same sort of depth as a main, and they still get more RP interest than Seri. What's the point? I like to believe I put some effort into playing Seri to some sort of acceptable level, but since he was never a 'get along with everyone' character from the beginning...meh.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Re: Any point to playing Seri?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2013, 18:13 »

I say play Seri if you want and let the rest be damned. If you can still have fun then do it and dont look back.

If you want to start another character then start another character, but do it completely. By completely I mean new char, possible new faction, different mindset, and different forum account. Go complete immersionist or avoid OOC in game to keep from spilling the beans about who you used to be. It could still be possible on here perhaps but at least on the forum you can think longer about what you say to make it so its harder.

On a side note I do have to say that I personally enjoyed interacting with Seri when I was on Simca even though things went a bit south and got semi awkward I always liked the character and how you played him.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:17 »

Seri, this is why I've never liked you OOC.  Havo hating your character is a given, he hates everyone.  But I've never liked you as a player because of... well, this entire charade you've put on, starting with the "death" of your character.

It was a clear attempt at seeing what people think about you as a player.  And now, when you inevitably seek to have "The Great Return", you can't just DO it without groping about for validation on some sort of emotionally insecure pre-emptive self-pity shit.  Sophomoric?  Yes, Seri, your behaviour has been exactly that.

Just play your fucking game*, man, stop being so bloody emo about it.

*Because that's what it is: a fucking game.

EDIT:  To answer the question posed in the OP, No.  If your goal in playing Seri is to somehow find OOC validation, then no.  There's no point.  A video game cannot validate your life.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013, 19:20 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:44 »

I see characters that are alts that by default lack the same sort of depth as a main, and they still get more RP interest than Seri. What's the point?

I dunno, what is the point of playing Seriphyn as you play him?

We have all told you numerous times why Seriphyn the character is rejected wholesale from large sections of the community. Because he acts like a womanizing douchebag. It doesn't matter to people just getting to know him if he's the world savior under all that sleaze and snark. Few characters will care enough to give him the time of day.

I don't understand why you don't understand this.

Yes, newsflash, reputations are hard to change. Call CNN and BBC and tell them we have a story on our hands! This is precisely why many players create a likable main character, so we don't have to put up with being rejected and RP-blocked. Yet you decided it was a better choice and more artistic to play the Byronic Hero on whatever pretenses as your primary character... well now you get the reap the rewards of playing that kind of character for so long.

It sucks, I know... but now you understand why those poor lesser scrubs with 'less character depth' have a better time. Because it doesn't make our skin crawl to be around them. If you want to change public opinion, you're in for a long haul.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013, 19:59 by Katrina Oniseki »

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:52 »

TIL Seri had depth.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Erys Charantes

• Just another Gallentean girl.
  • Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 02 Sep 2013, 20:05 »

Seriphyn, I've had you perma-blocked in game for months now.  And I rarely bother to post in many forums.  But, seeing as how you MIGHT be figuring it out, I'm going to give this one to you...

I didn't block you because of anything done IC'ly, even though Seriphyn as a character proved to be egotistical, emotionally manipulative, borderline abusive, self-entitled, and a womanizer of epic proportions.  That is just what kept him from getting anywhere with Erys.  No, I refuse to speak to YOU because after the fact, you wouldn't stop whining about it, declared that you, and only you, should receive special treatment, and pestered my ALTS when you got blocked from my main.

As for this recent attention ploy, which is all it was...  Either biomass or don't.  You've dug your own pit, so either start climbing, or stay there.  But stop wasting everyone's time with these childish stunts for attention.
"The hardest person to know is often yourself."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2013, 22:40 »

The lesson you ought to be taking away from all of this, Seri, is this: If you as a player cannot handle the consequences and repercussions of RPing a particular kind of character, you should not be RPing that particular kind of character.

You play a character that is known, widely, to be (or have been) an arrogant, disrespectful, inconsiderate, womanizing prick. Even to the people who for some reason decide to give him a shot on the off-chance he's only like that in public and that it's just a front. Good for you. It's great that we have that kind of character running around, because you're right - it would get pretty boring with nobody ever getting mad at or fighting with one another - but you can't, in the same breath, complain that people don't want to RP with you on that character, and not expect to get laughed at. Most people do not like being around that kind of person in real life. How then, is it unrealistic or unreasonable, for our characters to just ignore it for the sake of giving you something to do? We're playing our characters true to themselves: it would be breaking our immersion and RP to do so, just for your sake. It's not going to happen.

You often make comments (more like complaints) about how some of us (me, for example) play overly likable characters that get away with a lot of friendships and relationships they, in your eyes, should not be able to get away with. I think you are getting the difference between liking someone and respecting someone mixed up. Liking someone is not a prerequisite for respecting them, and should never be one. Yes, Morwen has a lot of friends in a variety of seemingly-contradictory places, who, put together into one room, would probably result in a hell of an incident report for the police. But she also has a fair number of enemies and rivals from a variety of places as well. Many of Morwen's enemies still respect her to some level or give such an impression, even if they don't like her, and in many cases the reverse is true.

I told you the other night, in response to some complaints you were having about certain characters avoiding you, that I felt the problem was probably with the way you approached them. Asking people out on what amounts to an "entry-level date" is not a productive way to go when your character has the reputation described above. You come on too strong, and it's just not appealing to some people, who will then retreat and remove themselves from a situation they aren't comfortable in. When those characters happen to be friends with other characters who have had similar experiences with Seri, it should come as no surprise to you when that is the reaction you get when you don't change your fucking playbook.

But a lot of this is beside the point: it wouldn't bother most people, if their characters' reactions didn't bother you so much that you felt it necessary to complain or take the piss about it on a regular basis.

Anyway: to answer your question more directly, the answer is yes. There is a point to playing Seri. It's a character archetype that is sorely needed in many respects, because the lack of it is unrealistic. However, I do not get the impression that you are able to handle playing the part of that archetype and the responses it gets without being able to keep it from bleeding through.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2013, 23:36 »

short answer: Yes.
* Louella Dougans hugs

Longer answer: Seriphyn's recent brain surgery gives an opportunity to reset some things - therapy and the like, rehabilitation and so forth.

Seriphyn's forthrightness on several issues is useful for many other characters, to use as an example/counterexample - It's hard to argue about morality of Gallente culture, without a suitable target to bounce statements off.

Light gives form to darkness, but also, without darkness, how can you see the light ?

I might write some more later.
\o/

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2013, 00:32 »

If you're asking the question, you're probably also answering it.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2013, 02:26 »

I rarely RP directly with anybody, nor is it my interest point. But the backstory surrounding Seriphyn is solid and fairly interesting.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #10 on: 03 Sep 2013, 02:41 »

Well it's nice to know that Beansnakes is still busy. I regret not setting up some moderators before I dropped my subscription now.

Anabella Rella

• Not angry, just passionate dammit!
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 03 Sep 2013, 03:35 »

Ouch! You've made a very strong impression on people!

Having never spoken with you OOC I can't address any of the points that others have made regarding Seriphyn the player. My comments will be about Seriphyn the character.

I've been "around" in Eve for quite a while, especially active in the IGS but, until quite recently had no direct interaction with Seriphyn in-game (Ana and Seri may have traded jabs in the IGS but I can't recall). I have to tell you honestly that I'd heard many bad things about him; basically they all boiled down to the fact that he was an egotistical dick. I didn't know about the womanizing or any of the rest but, didn't need to. Ana would have absolutely no use for someone like that and would simply avoid them. So I was greatly surprised when our characters met for the first time in-game through a mutual friend last weekend and we all had a very enjoyable time RPing a scene that went on for quite a while. During that time Seri was polite, personable and funny; totally opposite to what Ana (and myself) expected.

I guess my point here is that despite Seriphyn's baggage, it's very possible to rebuild his reputation. Anyone would have had fun being around him that day. You have to decide which "version" of Seri you want to use--the original or v2.0 from last weekend.

I play Ana as a very emotional, sometimes sarcastic, profanity using semi-hardass but, she's also thoughtful, friendly and compassionate most of the time. I try to make her a little confrontational without crossing over to being an ass because it wouldn't be fun or interesting for me plus, no one would want to associate with her. I hope that you can a similar balance (assuming that's what you want).

Damn, almost forgot; I vote for keeping Seriphyn around in either version. He's an interesting character.
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 03 Sep 2013, 04:53 »

Sometimes that thread is exactly what makes me hate that community tbh.

Faced the same issue in the past, got the same kind of inconsistent answers. People asking at the same time to have more conflict and characters like that, not having the guts to create one themselves, and then spitting on said characters when they start to... bruise their fun ingame ? What the hell ? Make up your mind. Carebear RP or not ?

Why complaining when a "character like that" eventually arrives when it is what is supposedly expected and lacking ? Because it's not done "right" ? Ah, I got it, it's that he is doing it wrong then ?

No, I just think that most in this community can't make up their minds, they want their cake and eat it, sugarcoated with a lot of IC/OOC bleedover.

Ok, whatever are your private dramas. I'm not privy of a lot of the supposed stuff that happened here OOCly as well. But starting to make sure that everyone does not go RP with him and make sure to ruin his whole RP experience ingame ? That is seriously disgusting.

When I read stuff like "Maybe the more that you dislike napaani and say it the more people will actually like it" OOCly on these very forums, and that shit does not even get catacombed, that it makes me seriously wonder if you could just tell people "gtfo" to gain a lot of time and effort.

Because maybe Seri is a douche OOC with you in private, who knows, can't see it myself, but from a detached point of view, it's all of you who seriously sound like douches.

My post is catacomb worthy, I know, like most of the ones posted here anyway. The red line has been crossed a long time ago.

That thread just looks like a lynching mob rushing on fresh meat that came here in the first place to ask for feedback. Maybe he could do it better, maybe not, but the way most people answered is just damn crazy and completely out of the rules of conduct enforced here (myself included).
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2013, 04:55 by Lyn Farel »

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2013, 05:25 »

Sometimes that thread is exactly what makes me hate that community tbh.

Faced the same issue in the past, got the same kind of inconsistent answers. People asking at the same time to have more conflict and characters like that, not having the guts to create one themselves, and then spitting on said characters when they start to... bruise their fun ingame ? What the hell ? Make up your mind. Carebear RP or not ?

Why complaining when a "character like that" eventually arrives when it is what is supposedly expected and lacking ? Because it's not done "right" ? Ah, I got it, it's that he is doing it wrong then ?

No, I just think that most in this community can't make up their minds, they want their cake and eat it, sugarcoated with a lot of IC/OOC bleedover.

Ok, whatever are your private dramas. I'm not privy of a lot of the supposed stuff that happened here OOCly as well. But starting to make sure that everyone does not go RP with him and make sure to ruin his whole RP experience ingame ? That is seriously disgusting.

When I read stuff like "Maybe the more that you dislike napaani and say it the more people will actually like it" OOCly on these very forums, and that shit does not even get catacombed, that it makes me seriously wonder if you could just tell people "gtfo" to gain a lot of time and effort.

Because maybe Seri is a douche OOC with you in private, who knows, can't see it myself, but from a detached point of view, it's all of you who seriously sound like douches.

My post is catacomb worthy, I know, like most of the ones posted here anyway. The red line has been crossed a long time ago.

That thread just looks like a lynching mob rushing on fresh meat that came here in the first place to ask for feedback. Maybe he could do it better, maybe not, but the way most people answered is just damn crazy and completely out of the rules of conduct enforced here (myself included).

Can't really say it better than this.  I have no horse in this race, but a quick overview very quickly goes into the realm of 'we accept X snowflake, but Y?  F*** that guy!'. 

The number of people trying to enact OOC wish fulfillment IC is probably a good percentage of roleplayers in general, and yet it seems many are quite willing to crucify Seri far beyond how much he deserves.  There are valid points made against him, but are we seriously the kind of community to flay a man alive, instead of just letting a thread like this die? 

I see a few people here who just love to preach turning the other cheek when their OOC buddies act like the proverbial mule, but who feel justified in typing a napalm-esque post in reply to what is, yes, an unashamed attention grab, but one no more toxic than the limbo-defyingly low-bar that has been set by the accepted standards set in almost all public venues already. 

Consider me disappointed, for what it is worth.  As for Seri, stop doing this to yourself.  You have constructive chats with a handful of people and I've not yet seen negative reaction to the output you have generated all on your own from those discussions.  Call on these sources to rebuild and move on if you wish, but climbing up on the cross like this is not going to do anything other than attract this sort of vilification. 

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #14 on: 03 Sep 2013, 05:45 »

Just play your fucking game*, man, stop being so bloody emo about it.

HTFU by any other phrase is still HTFU. Physician heal thyself.

On the actual topic. Question is do you have fun playing Seriphyn? If not, then mothball the toon and try something new. If you do, carry on soldier and if you feel the need for change, do it don't poll it.

PS. I agree with Lyn, you people can be such a horrible bag of dicks sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2 3