Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is it possible that Foley CAN be a failed prototype ?  (Read 7895 times)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger

ok so idk if this is the correct sub-forum so forgive me but...

i been working on a interesting backstory for Foley & after countless dart throws (terrible accuracy) at what i know of Dust lore i came up with a idea

FAILED PROTOTYPE!

i red Templar one and my favorite parts were when they talked about the trial & error of getting cloned soldiers to work out

i was thinking Foley could had been a failed subject due to him losing all his memories during the process & that he is basically insane....OH & emotional issues sometimes

i got the idea not only because hes flaws but also because he was made long ago in closed beta which i believe was actual prototype testing

feel free to call me a idiot btw

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: is it possible that Foley CAN be a failed prototype ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2013, 13:21 »

The failed prototypes suffered a lot more than just memory loss. They actually have a Sleeper (the actual Sleeper person) inside their head. Literally two personalities, one of them completely alien and psychotically insane/pissed.

I don't know if you 'can' play a First Gen DUST soldier, like if it's okay with PF or not... but I know Foley would have to be a lot less harmless than he is now.

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2013, 14:34 »

The failed prototypes suffered a lot more than just memory loss. They actually have a Sleeper (the actual Sleeper person) inside their head. Literally two personalities, one of them completely alien and psychotically insane/pissed.

I don't know if you 'can' play a First Gen DUST soldier, like if it's okay with PF or not... but I know Foley would have to be a lot less harmless than he is now.

eh - i was 80% sure the idea wouldn't work, was worth trying

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2013, 15:37 »

You can still use the idea for more conventional brain/memory damage, or just a modest/humble second generation soldier failure. It is always interesting to play a reject, either trying to better himself or just lost in alcohol or whatever...

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2013, 16:31 »

I'd have to agree with Lyn in that you can still make use of some of your concepts, just tweak them a bit.  Nothing wrong with brainstorming and asking questions. I did that a bit when I first was developing Steff's backstory and still do ask questions about certain things as I explore the universe through the character.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2013, 21:32 »

Why not have Sleeper whispering obscenities in his head and distract him every damn time? He could suffer like Jarum Samyl did. If he is shouting at that bugger in his head in the middle of a firefight, everyone will know he is not right in the head.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2013, 21:34 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2013, 22:19 »

Why not have Sleeper whispering obscenities in his head and distract him every damn time? He could suffer like Jarum Samyl did. If he is shouting at that bugger in his head in the middle of a firefight, everyone will know he is not right in the head.

as much as it would be interesting i believe its to late to sudden show signs of schizophrenia........but if i did i would make the sleeper a actual friend  rather a than annoyance or influential person

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2013, 23:06 »

as much as it would be interesting i believe its to late to sudden show signs of schizophrenia........but if i did i would make the sleeper a actual friend  rather a than annoyance or influential person

And before you did that, I'd recommend digging into sleeper lore before The Community would ass ravage you like a ladyboy in Bangkok.

Anslol

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2013, 09:34 »

Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AipPj6wx8pQ

((real talk now))
Instead of failed, Foley could have a genetic incompatibility issue with some of his implants and augmentations that may have damaged the cerebrum. This in turn could have blocked specific synapses from forming links and enabling recall of supposedly 'lost' memories. If Scherezad see's this post, she can elaborate on the possibility of this scenario's use and its accuracy should she be so inclined.

But just in case she confirms my idea as scientifically valid, I submit the following statement as a preemptive celebratory action...

[spoiler]Science, mother fuckers.[/spoiler]

Edit: LOLbangkok
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013, 13:36 by Anslol »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:06 »

I'd advise not being a First Gen clone soldier. Those that didn't hate you on principle would want to cut you open to see how you ticked.

Also, what Vincent said about the community and Bangkok.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:14 »

Alright, enough with the talk of pitchforks and torches and Bangkok surprises.

Foley has been pretty active since Dust got connected to TQ, and he's always asked questions when he doesn't know or understand something, and on top of that he does acknowledge responses given whether they affirm or contradict what he expects to be the answer. Be nice.

That out of the way: I personally agree with the notion that a first-gen soldier is probably a poor starting point for the reasons given by others here. If you spend some time reading up on the origins and history of the clone soldiers (not just via the wiki and Templar One, but also through all of the Dust 514 and EVE chronicles that touch on it) you should be able to find a lot of information to work with.

You don't have to do away with the 'failed prototype' concept, though. I'm sure that the second-gen soldiers with the non-sleeper-origin implants also have their own run of issues that may or may not have left lingering effects on the soldiers even as they moved into clones with 'fixed' implants.

Anslo raises a good point, too - if you can catch Schere sometime you should talk to her; she not only likes neuroscience stuff in EVE and does a lot of stuff with it with her own character, but she also likes helping other people work related things into their own stuff. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2013, 13:51 »

Foley has been pretty active since Dust got connected to TQ, and he's always asked questions when he doesn't know or understand something, and on top of that he does acknowledge responses given whether they affirm or contradict what he expects to be the answer. Be nice.

You misunderstand us. We ARE being nice. We are giving him advice to avoid the many pitfalls in and with the community, and if you maintain any sort of illusion that The Community would not rip him a new one for going with his proposed idea I would love to buy the same shit you are smoking.

Active RP dusters are a good thing and we want them to multiply, Foley is doing a good job of spearheading that initiative. What's more admirable is that he is asking questions when he is unsure of things instead of doing what some people have done in the past, such as capsuleers with arms that turn into machineguns and then throwing hissyfits when those around them throw a cosmic facepalm.

I believe in Foley Jones.

Anslol

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2013, 14:00 »

Foley Jones 2013
A Soldier We Can Believe In
Cooking Up Good Policies Since 2013
Plow Your Guns Into Spatulas...Then Back Into Guns
Pick one, roll with it Jonesy.

((....LOLBANGKOK))

Avio Yaken

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2013, 14:30 »

You misunderstand us. We ARE being nice. We are giving him advice to avoid the many pitfalls in and with the community, and if you maintain any sort of illusion that The Community would not rip him a new one for going with his proposed idea I would love to buy the same shit you are smoking.

Active RP dusters are a good thing and we want them to multiply, Foley is doing a good job of spearheading that initiative. What's more admirable is that he is asking questions when he is unsure of things instead of doing what some people have done in the past, such as capsuleers with arms that turn into machineguns and then throwing hissyfits when those around them throw a cosmic facepalm.

I believe in Foley Jones.

i know how RP communities are very......VERY strict about PF and logical backstories

i RPed in plenty of communities so i know the drill

i miss SOTDRP on warcraft 3..........

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2013, 19:38 »

That out of the way: I personally agree with the notion that a first-gen soldier is probably a poor starting point for the reasons given by others here. If you spend some time reading up on the origins and history of the clone soldiers (not just via the wiki and Templar One, but also through all of the Dust 514 and EVE chronicles that touch on it) you should be able to find a lot of information to work with.

You don't have to do away with the 'failed prototype' concept, though. I'm sure that the second-gen soldiers with the non-sleeper-origin implants also have their own run of issues that may or may not have left lingering effects on the soldiers even as they moved into clones with 'fixed' implants.

Anslo raises a good point, too - if you can catch Schere sometime you should talk to her; she not only likes neuroscience stuff in EVE and does a lot of stuff with it with her own character, but she also likes helping other people work related things into their own stuff. :)

Best idea I have heard. Incompatibility would explain the amnesia and neurosis, and it also gives Foley a very good reason to sue that guy who has been sloppy about turning him into a clone merc.
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: [1] 2