Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Terrible Realisation  (Read 5641 times)

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Re: A Terrible Realisation
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2013, 10:18 »

Started off as an observer with the occasional comment, then got sucked into a more active poster due to certain individuals.

I may end up going back to simply observing.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:19 »

I would just like for a change to see PF or whatever else focusing a little on the modern side of the amarr and minmatar. Kindof weary of the usual Amarr = spanish inquisition and Minmatar = nude drumcircles.

Pretty much this.

i want more focus on the immense stability and resilience of Amarrian culture and society.  Also the way in which the Minmatar dealt with the economic shock of having hundreds of systems dropped into their laps post-rebellion, and learning to manage those systems in the short time they have been a 'unified' nation. 

Both have overcome immense challenges and this really isn't looked at enough.

Yeah maybe but I was even more concerned about the modernity. I'm weary of Gallente and Caldari being more advanced or whatever. Caldari may have the tech geeks trait from PF for some of their megas, but people still seem to think that Amarr ship are powered by slaves and prayers and Minmatar ships by charcoal or something. That only the gallente have access to high tech entertainment implants, that the Amarr are somehow all of the same medieval catholic church with the exact same beliefs and doctrines, that they live in stone castles, and the Minmatar in the steppes hunting lions.

Etc etc.

Anslol

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jul 2013, 13:58 »

I think I laughed for a solid week when Anslo mistook Celeste for a Gallente purist/raving nationalist.  Of course she didn't correct him: that error was as much a win for her as it was for me.

Don't be bringin' me up in dis bitch....who are you again? :S No seriously I forget this.

As for me, I don't remember. It all blurs together one rage post after another...I've seen some shit man.  :eek:

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jul 2013, 15:18 »

I think I laughed for a solid week when Anslo mistook Celeste for a Gallente purist/raving nationalist.  Of course she didn't correct him: that error was as much a win for her as it was for me.

Don't be bringin' me up in dis bitch....who are you again? :S No seriously I forget this.

As for me, I don't remember. It all blurs together one rage post after another...I've seen some shit man.  :eek:

Oh, it was some random rant about Caille's being a cesspool of consumerism that people stupidly, willingly dive into without realizing that they are being manipulated by the powers that lurk beneath the crystalline streets. Or some wildly paraphrased version of that.

Nothing important whatsoever.

Who am I?  I'm a lot of different people, none of them important. :D

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jul 2013, 15:34 »

Yeah maybe but I was even more concerned about the modernity. I'm weary of Gallente and Caldari being more advanced or whatever. Caldari may have the tech geeks trait from PF for some of their megas, but people still seem to think that Amarr ship are powered by slaves and prayers and Minmatar ships by charcoal or something. That only the gallente have access to high tech entertainment implants, that the Amarr are somehow all of the same medieval catholic church with the exact same beliefs and doctrines, that they live in stone castles, and the Minmatar in the steppes hunting lions.

Etc etc.

You make a lot of great points here except for the underlined one, which I'd like to question in a different thread.

Mostly given up on the IGS as a place for anything of merit to occur. Nice to see everyone taking so readily to the minmatar bashing though.

I totally understand how you feel sometimes. I can get very upset with the Anti-Liberal slant, to the point where it negatively affects my desire to roleplay with the greater community. It's a problem of mine, where IC and OOC can blur for me and leads to frustrations when my own chosen faction is dogpiled.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 01 Aug 2013, 04:42 »

Mostly given up on the IGS as a place for anything of merit to occur. Nice to see everyone taking so readily to the minmatar bashing though.

I totally understand how you feel sometimes. I can get very upset with the Anti-Liberal slant, to the point where it negatively affects my desire to roleplay with the greater community. It's a problem of mine, where IC and OOC can blur for me and leads to frustrations when my own chosen faction is dogpiled.

* Ava Starfire hugs Katrina

Exactly =(

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #36 on: 01 Aug 2013, 06:11 »

* Ava Starfire hugs Katrina

Exactly =(

You're both in awkward places, really - Colelie was not something the Gallente would side with you about, of -course- the Amarr are going to snipe, and Caldari... well, they've got their own dogmas.  Meanwhile, I-RED is kind of a lone star of friendliness and liberalism amidst a sea of xenophobes and suspicious people.

I can remember when we were the target of choice for everyone and their dog.  Didn't really bother me, as I was quite content as playing the bad guy, but that was just my character and my position, which I admit doesn't apply to you guys.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #37 on: 01 Aug 2013, 07:10 »

Truth be told, I primarily use IGS as a place for the political agenda setting relevant to the organization my characters are a part of. I don't really partake in RP for the vicarious feels as much as the enjoyment of pursuing fictional political agendas and the creation of worldviews and ideology. My own characters thrive in adversarial scenarios and if others try to "dogpile" them, then that's a challenge I and they are more than willing to accept.

Hell, I even make it easy for others by often providing the very ammunition they can use to fire at them whenever they want. Although I find it strange that others would readily try and dismiss what they often say as merely, "Anti-Liberal bashing," or "Dogpiling the Minnies." When in fact they are deliberate acts congruent with their fictional agendas:

Of course they're going to bash Ishukone and the Liberals because they are loyal to Kaalakiota and thus direct competitors in a variety of markets.

Of course they're going to do everything in their power to weaken and isolate the Republic if given the opportunity because that puts Kaalakiota and by extension the State in a stronger negotiating position against them.

What do people want? That we all hold in-character hands in the spirit of friendship and brotherhood lest someone gets their precious feelings hurt in fictitious verbal and written exchanges?

Seriously.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 01 Aug 2013, 10:46 »

I imagine that some people want something in between your example of friendship and brotherhood, and the current situation where every damn IGS thread or summit conversation involving a member of EM becomes derailed into another Colelie mudslinging free-for-all.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #39 on: 01 Aug 2013, 12:06 »

I don't think I'm patting myself on the back too much by saying that I've done a lot to keep the issue of Colelie alive. I've been enjoying the new grey areas that are developing in Fed-Republic RP, and I think it's an interesting development.

That said, I'm not particularly interested in beating that drum if all it does is make people miserable.

I've created a poll where you can chime in on whether or not I should just drop it and let you all get back to business as usual. I promise, I'll consider the results of it binding, no matter what.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 01 Aug 2013, 12:35 »

The problem with events like Colelie is that they lean on - not saying that they do, but they heavily lean on - a serious unbalance leading to pretty much everyone except the faction on the wrong side of said balance to take free potshots at them.

And you know the mutual love between the IGS and The Low Hanging Fruit.

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you
« Reply #41 on: 06 Aug 2013, 11:17 »

Watch it, K-Ry. That's my Virtua-wife you're talkin' about there. D:<

Vincent, I am in lowsec again (going to learn me some Gunboat Diplomicy (non-pirate tyep))

I am thinking about posting in a topic about "what you do outside of pod?" that I think of Karmilla, and how to woo her to become my #1 Slave..... If I do post that, I am hoping to properly derail that thread.
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #42 on: 06 Aug 2013, 11:22 »

To the original question, I became an IGS warrior almost since the beggining, as it was an interesting and fun part of RP. Old-Seph probably has hundreds of posts in his account and was a well known character in IGS in his time.  Problem came when, as Orange put it, conversations didn't change.

New Seph suffers that even more, as his personality is more mainstream and more rigid, he gets stuck and bored more often with repeating conversations. So he isn't as active a poster as he was when I first returned to EVE and now usually only posts when something catches his eye (well, not this month as I've cancelled my subscription due to vacations). As for trolling, I wouldn't consider myself a troll, nor Catillah. But he has trolled on a couple occasions, he's usually relatively serious about what he says.

Quote from: Lyn farel
Amarr = spanish inquisition

Actually, you just fell into the common stereotype there. Spanish wasn't the worst inquisition, nor the one that killed the most, a "position" that corresponds to those countries where there were actual wars of religion.

Now, not trying to say "you're doing it wrong" or "now you suck, you spanish hater" or anything like it. Just trying to point out how sometimes it's hard to break the stereotypes, even when you're conscious of their existance. So, it's logical (even if harmful) that most players view amarr as little more than the Warhammer 40k Empire + slavery together.

And I wholeheartedly agree that the way to break this is for prime fiction to focus on other complementary sides of those two cultures.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 06 Aug 2013, 12:49 »

Quote from: Lyn farel
Amarr = spanish inquisition

Actually, you just fell into the common stereotype there. Spanish wasn't the worst inquisition, nor the one that killed the most, a "position" that corresponds to those countries where there were actual wars of religion.

Now, not trying to say "you're doing it wrong" or "now you suck, you spanish hater" or anything like it. Just trying to point out how sometimes it's hard to break the stereotypes, even when you're conscious of their existance. So, it's logical (even if harmful) that most players view amarr as little more than the Warhammer 40k Empire + slavery together.

And I wholeheartedly agree that the way to break this is for prime fiction to focus on other complementary sides of those two cultures.

Yeah, I could have just said medieval inquisition, but I mostly played on the trope because the Spanish Inq is well known by most.

My main pet peeve is that while I can understand that some quite conservative positions can be expected from families like Ardishapur with their crude rituals of hand mutilations and the likes, who also seem to put the emphasis on some very old and outdated punishments, and while I acknowledge that the Amarr are definitely not western culture, I also happen to believe that the Amarr Empire are still eons ahead of what we know now, and like all others nations, they are a modern one and not a medieval one. They do not think like medieval kings and inquisitors.

So yes, while I actually expect to see hardliner judgement calls and cries of heresy, burning at the stake, or whatever, I also expect them to be a minority, where the actual game happens behind politics and schemes at play. I expect them to happen behind the heavy amarrian bureaucracy, etc. I do not see the TC like the medieval inquisition, but rather like the Académie Française with teeth (you know, like CONCORD are like the UN with balls... kindof) who are here to normalize the orthodox view and provide general guidelines to make sure that scriptures remain coherent (and also according to the will of the current emperor/empress).

I just find regrettable that we never hear of the liberal, more modern side of the Empire. Amarrians proponents of the free discourse of theological matters, or a more modern view of the concept of God itself. With all the hints in the lore about the Scriptures and the Amarr religion, it's quite easy to see that it's not a repressive religion against science, at the contrary. It's not a religion that tries to explain the origin of the universe. I have yet to find a single scripture copycat of the christian Book of Genesis, for example. And yet I see continually very christian/western references to the Amarr religion ICly, where God is a supernatural all loving father, where you have to pray for his love or whatever - where in the Amarr religion is actually like the Old Testament, God is neither a Good or Bad entity, just a ruthless force akin to the universe. The Amarr are extremely devout not because they want to be loved by their God, but because they are told to kneel in humility before what the Universe and God actually represent.

Eventually I still expect to see more amarrian modernists like Ashar was in the past, with an innovative view on theological beliefs with the very modern and scientific background of the Amarr. Things like the sanctity of flesh are perfect matter for that to develop, but unfortunately, they also seem to directly ring the bell in most players to the current RL conflicts between religion and science.

Maybe i'm completely interpretating it wrong, and again, I fully expect and actually want to continue to witness the more common trope of the devout amarrian out there, but I just miss the true liberal amarrian modernists. And the main issue is that as much as I am perfectly confident to be able to make my character defend herself perfectly well ICly against call for heresy or whatever, the simple fact that she is completely alone and isolated in such a fashion, and also considering the reaction of most people ICly or OOCly to it who are often just unable to understand why I actually play it that way, well, it just seems to everyone that i'm actually playing some kind of apostate or heretic, which is completely and blatantly false.

Sorry for the rant, but it's mostly the whole story of my struggle since the very beginning.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2013, 12:54 by Lyn Farel »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 06 Aug 2013, 13:04 »

:lol: Kazuma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4