Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A Terrible Realisation  (Read 5644 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
A Terrible Realisation
« on: 27 Jul 2013, 04:40 »

So I was getting on with stuff yesterday, and trading barbs with everyone's favourite Provist nutcase on IGS, when it suddenly hit me. :!:

For the longest time, IGS was something I avoided or merely read.  Occasionally I'd throw a comment in, but for the most part, I was quiet. :s

Now... I'm not only commenting, but debating, arguing, even started a topic or two - and now indulging in minor IC harassment. :ugh:

I have, in fact, become an IGS troll. :eek:

Now I need to find a bridge to lurk under. :evil:

What was the moment some of you guys transitioned from spectator to gladiator? :D

...and no, I have no idea why I felt the need to put an smiley at the end of every line. :oops:

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: A Terrible Realisation
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:12 »

I first started gangwarring on the IGS when I found myself enjoying the Amarr bloc's religious justifications for ebilness while at the same time noticing that nobody in the Minmatar bloc was taking an idealogically aggressive stance in opposition.  Ushra'Khan was doing their thing in space moreso than on the IGS, so of course I didn't personally see their thing too much.

When I found myself thinking, "Yeah... that's some pretty cool shit!" about the Amarr stuff, I decided it was time to delve a lot deeper into Havohej as an RP character.  And much fun was had (I think) by all who interacted with him during that time.  I've been so much less active in RP since returning, but I'm trying to change that.

Smiley Quota:   :wut: :wtf: :brilliant: :cowbell: :yar: :yar: :yar: :yar: :yar:

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:47 »

What was the moment some of you guys transitioned from spectator to gladiator? :D

About the time I got a job and suddenly found myself with 8 hours each day where I had nothing to do but couldn't play EVE.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2013, 06:21 »

As soon as I started to read it seriously. Mostly OOC motivated though.  :ugh:

Recently I think that I got saved by the lack of time I have because of :RLjob: and so I don't really feel compelled to read it anymore, it has become more of a hassle. And maybe that's for the best since it's sometimes very stretching my own RP.  :o

Yep.  :cube:

Gesakaarin

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2013, 07:44 »

I've never trolled on the IGS so I really wouldn't know what that's all about.

Are there some tips you could give me, maybe?

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2013, 08:12 »

By the IGS's standards it's anything that doesn't conform to enforced civility. The minute you step out of line, watch out.

Pickled_Prawn

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2013, 11:52 »

Really, a lot of the stuff that comes up on the Summit is a troll in and of itself.

Examples are not limited to:

An Amarrian talking about mistreating slaves when they know Electus Matari are about or making snide comments about basically any other subject on the IGS or the Summit itself.

I'd say that you shouldn't be thinking you're a troll because Reppy has a differing opinion on highly volatile stuff people are pushing out deliberately.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2013, 12:59 »

Really, a lot of the stuff that comes up on the Summit is a troll in and of itself.

Examples are not limited to:

An Amarrian talking about mistreating slaves when they know Electus Matari are about or making snide comments about basically any other subject on the IGS or the Summit itself.

I'd say that you shouldn't be thinking you're a troll because Reppy has a differing opinion on highly volatile stuff people are pushing out deliberately.

Tongue-in-cheek description.  I wouldn't define what Reppy does as 'trolling', just a snide remark on the fact that I seem to be posting in just about everything on there these days.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2013, 13:54 »

By the IGS's standards it's anything that doesn't conform to enforced civility. The minute you step out of line, watch out.

CCP usually doesn't moderate for 'trolling' unless it's really obvious. I don't think I've seen them moderate trolling in the IGS, actually. More often than not, they simply remove OOC posts or killboard links.

Unless you're confusing IGS with The Summit.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2013, 14:47 »

There's a difference between being a troll, and 'trolling through' a forum. (Which, to be fair, might just be people mispronouncing 'trawling'.)

I think the terms we might be looking for are IGS spectator versus IGS warrior. I wouldn't call myself either, but I'm probably closer to the latter; I only started reading and posting regularly when I found myself with lots of time where I had not very much to do, but no access to an EVE client.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2013, 14:49 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2013, 14:59 »

I'm a pretty unapologetic IGS forum warrior, so take what I say with a grain of salt. That said, I do feel that the IGS is a big part of the IC universe that we play in, and a lot of interesting stuff happens there. There can be a small signal to noise ratio at times (thanks, punsters :D), but in general it's a good sandbox to play in.

I think, if I recall correctly, my first real foray into the IGS was back in 2003. The Lame Ducks were doing this public "Shoot Gallente miners" thing, so I started harassing them with my Breacher and posting oddball after-action reports of it - sort of a poor frigate pilot's version of the big after action reports that used to get posted there between the Amarrian and Minmatar RPers.

Oh, and for the record, Rep, I don't consider you a forum troll. You've got a long ways to go before you can drape that warm mantle across your shoulders.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2013, 20:47 »

Once upon a time, I was a pretty avid IGS Warrior, but over the years, the conversations just didn't change...

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2013, 21:14 »

Esna typically only comments when he spots an especially juicy opening. Most of the time he is an avid believer in the idea that more can be done behind the scenes than with open arguments on a forum like that (and for the most part it's held up). On very rare occasions, though, he'll notice a situation where having his voice on the issue be something that can be pointed out is more valuable than not having it so.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:24 »

Once upon a time, I was a pretty avid IGS Warrior, but over the years, the conversations just didn't change...

I wasn't even around for very long before I saw this happening. IGS seemed to fluctuate between embarrassing efforts to "win" RP and the occasional interesting discussion.

I was moderately active there for a while, probably would have been moreso except that it's blocked by my company's monster firewall (Backstage and FHC are the only EVE-related sites I can get to, all KBs are blocked, etc, under blanket "games" catagory) so the only time I could look at IGS was when I was home and would prefer to be playing the game.

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2013, 14:15 »

I think for Kaz, he is still trying to become a gladiator, I have usually only ever replied to posts that deal with the Amarr in some way, but lately I have been repling to Gutter Press releases with actual replies to fight off the wave of trolling that is in them. I think I have been lossing that battle.

~ Kazuma
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4