Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Seyllin Conference 4 - INDEFINITELY POSTPONED  (Read 8446 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Seyllin Conference 4 - INDEFINITELY POSTPONED
« on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:04 »

!! NOTE !! The following event is currently postponed !! NOTE !!

Greetings all!

It's come time again where The Synenose Accord will host the Seyllin conference. This thread is just to notify people that we are looking for speakers and potentially for admin staff to help in the organizing.

So what is the Seyllin Conference?

SeyCon is an RP meeting hosted by SYNE which takes the form of a conference on important clusterwide events, most with a scientific and analytic angle. Speakers can submit their ideas and at the conference give a 20 minute approx presentation on their topic.

The conference is typically divided into 2 days, typically spread over a weekend, each on a different theme and 3-4 presentations therein.

This year's themes are:
Day 1 - Interstellar Stability (threats to it)
Day 2 - Phenomena and Discovery (scientific endeavors and breakthroughs)

Transcripts for previous conferences can be found under "The Seyllin Conference" section of out site: http://thesynenoseaccord.wordpress.com/

When is it? Can I come?

We are still in the planning stages, but the event is likely to be in late September-mid October. This may be subject to change.

At present, we have no plans to deny anyone of any faction at least some form of entry pass. This issue will be discussed and clarified later.

I'd Like to make a presentation. What should I do?

Let us know. Either simply announce here in the thread, try to talk to us via SynePublic or private chat, or simply mail one of our directors.

We decide who will present via a committee which will assess each presentation individually. Some topics will get precedence.

However, if you don't manage to get a place this year, we will put you on a shortlist for the next year.

I'm not big on presentations/I have a presentation, but I'd like to help in other ways.

To those who would like to help, we may well require additional channel moderators. You must be someone with a good reputation and/or blue to SYNE in order to take part in this way. Channel mods are expected to be vigilant, proportionate in their response to trouble and swift.

Some of you will be eligible to be part of the body in charge of this event, the Seylin Conference Logistical Committee (SCLC) This is the body that will decide the details of the conference, and who will present. If you're interested, mail me, it can never hurt to ask.

NOTE: If you have a presentation, you cannot also be on the SCLC for this year.

Happy trails!
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2013, 20:48 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: Seyllin Conference 4 - Speakers and Staff Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:09 »

Current Members of the Seyllin Conference Logistical Committee:

- The SYNE Directorate
- - Ninavask
- - N'maro Makari
- - Derek Draconis
- - Ollie Rundle
- Morwen Lagann

Current Designated Channel Mods:
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2013, 13:08 by Nmaro Makari »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:54 »

Sweet. I'd like to present something.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2013, 11:33 »

I would like to offer some extra hands as channel moderators and NPC staff for the event. I could offer I-RED troops as security, or something less garish. :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2013, 12:05 »

I'd be available and willing to help out with stuff, as a past SeyCon presenter/organizer.

Not sure I've got the time to write up a presentation, though. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2013, 23:21 »

Makoto might be keen on heading a round-table on nationalist militarism as a threat to stability and social order. ;) That'd be day one. ;)

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2013, 03:03 »

As I am actually writing a conference paper IRL, I may as well channel some procrastination in the interests of RP-academia.  Count me in, and I shall send a brief for your perusal asap to see if the proposed topic is on target for this conference.

AOkazon

• Wetgraver
  • 'zis is going to be ze awezome.
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2013, 09:17 »

Definitely interested, will need a few days to brainstorm a topic.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2013, 13:50 »

I have a topic. Should I do a full writeup of the entire presentation, or just an outline to submit ahead of time?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Anslol

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2013, 07:53 »

Biology? Abstract? Call for papers? Yes? No? SCIENCE?!

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2013, 22:02 »

Ohh a symposium! I don't suppose black market economics is a topic... If not I can just set and glare at Anslo.  :eek:

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2013, 02:13 »

This year's themes are:
Day 1 - Interstellar Stability (threats to it)
Day 2 - Phenomena and Discovery (scientific endeavors and breakthroughs)

We could, possibly, write up some things.

For Day 1 - Outbreaks of Debylian Flu

For Day 2 - Sebiestor Brain Structures. CTCS Crew Replacement Program. Archaelogical Discoveries from the Wombat People. Use of Miniature Robotics in Biological Studies.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #12 on: 03 Aug 2013, 22:19 »

Hey all, just wanted to drop by and let you know I'm still alive.

At the moment, there's been a few pressing issues in my work life, send me evemails and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 03 Aug 2013, 23:04 »

Hey all, just wanted to drop by and let you know I'm still alive.

At the moment, there's been a few pressing issues in my work life, send me evemails and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Given that N'maro's become quite busy offline I'll step up and see if I can cover for him at least in the interim. I've already received some of the expressions of interest people have sent in - if you're yet to receive a reply and didn't send them to me directly in the first place, evemail them to me again.

If there's people wanting to help out with the organising committee (SCLC) also send me evemail or throw your hand up on these forums.

Now to specific responses:

We could, possibly, write up some things.

For Day 1 - Outbreaks of Debylian Flu

For Day 2 - Sebiestor Brain Structures. CTCS Crew Replacement Program. Archaelogical Discoveries from the Wombat People. Use of Miniature Robotics in Biological Studies.

Received your expression of interest, still considering it but it looks good. Would you mind writing us a summary of your talk(s) when ready or in draft stage?

Ohh a symposium! I don't suppose black market economics is a topic... If not I can just set and glare at Anslo.  :eek:

Manipulation of black and grey market economics is probably related to the over-arching theme of the first day - if you want to speak at SeyCon on this James, we're more than happy to see what you have to say.

Biology? Abstract? Call for papers? Yes? No? SCIENCE?!

Indeed! Get something together, you beach-hut owning microbiologist you :)

I have a topic. Should I do a full writeup of the entire presentation, or just an outline to submit ahead of time?

Saede, I think I've already got your ideas in a backlog of mail somewhere - will find it and review it, sorry about the tardiness. An outline is fine if you need to get ideas on paper that we can advise on, but we need a full presentation at some point prior to the conference beginning (see below - submission deadlines haven't been formally decided on just yet). Given the IGS postings from Streya earlier this year,  ALXVP's take on transhumanism and what its experience has been in w-space over the last 12 months would fit quite well with the proposed themes for this conference.

AOkazon, Aelisha - looking forward to seeing what you've come up with, evemail me when you've got a idea for what you want to present.

Makoto - I love the idea of a roundtable such as you've proposed. We'd need to get some other panelists and develop a structure for audience interaction, but I think something like this would be interesting and a refreshing change from the format seen in previous SeyCons. I'll need to find those other panelists and twist a few arms on the organising committee of course, but I have a lot of things I can use to coerce co-operation if necessary ....  :twisted:

Morwen - I think you were added to the organising committee about 3.2 seconds after you posted your response :)

Kat - Thanks and we'll be in touch. In an I-RED press conference a while back, you presented some RP'd technology that I-RED was either working or rolling out for sale - something to do with low orbit harvesting from gas planets if my memory's correct. That and some of your other world-building efforts might also be quite interesting to see at SeyCon if there's not some sort of IC reason to keep it hushed up?

I'll try to update as we finalise the format of the conference and make decisions on how we'll run it. For now, I want to reinforce one or two of the points in N'maro's original post.

The date is currently looking like a weekend in late October/first weekend of November. We'll try to keep the window for submission of presentations open as long as possible, but the deadline is likely to be no later than 2 weeks before the conference. The idea of 'science' in EVE is sometimes a difficult one to address in RP. What we're looking for isn't 'absolute' or 'incontrovertible' evidence, simply because the science of the world of New Eden isn't well enough defined to insist on that. What we are looking for are interesting ideas, with enough of the 'basics' of science (or economics, or combat, or whatever) in them to provide immersion. If you can base it on your own observations, experiences in the game or even on reproducible results from game mechanics so much the better.

The second point is the one about who can attend or present. The key difference between this and recent SeyCons is that we're leaving the gates open to all here this year whereas previously we've been restrictive. There may well be a few conditions, but for the moment if you've got something to present or if you want to attend don't let previous or current adversarial dealings with us as a corporation dissuade you from seeing if you're allowed through the door. :)

Hope to hear from more of you soon.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013, 05:52 by Ollie »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #14 on: 03 Aug 2013, 23:38 »

Kat - Thanks and we'll be in touch. In an I-RED press conference a while back, you presented some RP'd technology that I-RED was either working or rolling out for sale - something to do with low orbit harvesting from gas planets if my memory's correct. That and some of your other world-building efforts might also be quite interesting to see at SeyCon if there's not some sort of IC reason to keep it hushed up?

The gas harvesting was actually a tech fiction I wrote up here on backstage.

The I-RED conference tech we rolled out was essentially a crossover tribute to Frank Herbert's Dune universe. I-RED essentially began marketing the Ornithopter. A very low-tech flying machine designed to be ugly, easy to repair, very durable, and available to low income colonies.

I can probably think up some sort of new tech or something we've been working on. Maybe a land vehicle. I dunno. We don't have many reasons to hush anything up about worldbuilding. :)
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2013, 23:40 by Katrina Oniseki »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5