Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deep Gas Trawlers  (Read 4080 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Deep Gas Trawlers
« on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:00 »

Grawlers

Deep Gas Trawlers, or "Grawlers" are the colloquial name for various Ultra High Pressure Airships (UHPA) used for rare-gas collection in the mid to lower strata of gas giants.

Grawlers are the primary vessel of a time honored gas-collection industry, harvesting valuable resources from the dangerous cloud layers of gas giants. Dropped from orbit directly onto the clouds, they typically operate for months at a time with a minimal crew. Grawlers fly by a simple method of buoyancy control, filling or emptying buoyancy tanks with the planet's own atmospheric layers. Fitted with ballast along with a small offering of traditional engines, grawlers merely ride the clouds and currents of gas giants as little more than complicated zeppelins. They are not space capable.

Grawlers make their money off hard-to-get gases found in bulk among the dangerous middle strata of Gas Giants. Most semi-orbital complexes cannot stay anchored that low, so a more mobile and active form of harvesting is required. Grawlers use a cousin technology of Stasis Webifiers called "Energy Nets" to essentially 'scoop' the desired gases together for collection. With a full cargo hold, the grawlers will ascend to higher strata and drop off their take at a nearby semiorbital facility. This process can take days to net any significant quantity, but since there is no industry competition except from other grawlers - the pay is typically very good.

The crew, called "Grawlermen", are some of the hardiest and fearless men and women in the cluster. Grawling is extremely dangerous, as any failure of buoyancy control means the immediate loss of the airship along with everyone on board to the crushing depths of the planet. Danger comes not just in the threat of sinking, but also the constant toxic and explosive storms that rage across the surface of Gas Giants.

Talented grawler captains can typically understand the lay of their chosen planet by heart. Bordering on the mystic, they say each planet has its own personality that must be respected and understood. The clouds can swallow any man or ship, and only by cooperating with the weather can one hope to survive it - nevermind navigate and harvest it. This is true to a surprising degree, as Gas Giants do exhibit somewhat specific and predictable climate patterns. Ignorance of these patterns can often lead to the quick and brutal demise of novice grawler crews.

Quote from: Gaskattan Throupnaoul, 32 year veteran Grawler Captain
"You gotta know [the] storms, man. You gotta feel them, like a wom'n. Gotta know [the gas giant] layout, what she like, what she don't like. I seen it all. She shown me. Blackeyes, redeyes, whities, cyclones. Sweet spot's where ya wanna be. Blue strips are nice. Gotta stay 'way from the cakes though, they change breath too quick on ya... find y'self upside down 'fore you know it. Yeah. You gotta know her good."

Grawlermen come from the same stout demographics as capsuleer starship crews. Unfortunately, the life expectancy of a grawlerman is not much better, at only ten years of work. Thousands of tragic accidents happen every year for various reasons, most of them simple human error. Despite, or perhaps because of, the extreme risks grawlermen face, they are often seen as blue-collar heroes by many. In the Federation, the popular documentary/reality holovision series called "Deadliest Cloud" follows the lives and trials of several grawlers and their crews as they work the gas giant of Mies V. Through twelve seasons, over two hundred episodes, and the loss of two camera crews to accidents - the show has garnered some of the highest consistent ratings in HV history, along with several awards. It currently boasts almost half a billion viewers.

The thundering clouds of gas giants are unforgiving and unpredictable, yet to this day they still remain a glittering goldmine for many. It is likely they will continue to be for a very long time.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2012, 14:45 by Katrina Oniseki »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: Deep Gas Trawlers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2012, 13:34 »

Brilliant. Love it.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2012, 13:42 »

[OCD grammar nazi]

Not just the threat of sinking, but also the constant toxic and explosive storms that rage across the surface of Gas Giants.

WTB a verb.

[/OCD grammar nazi]

Great read :D

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2012, 14:05 »

Gas giant gas, truly New Eden's Most Dangerous Catch.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2012, 16:12 »

Very nice.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2012, 16:21 »

Thoughts on modified Grawlers being used to terraform worlds like Venus?

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2012, 20:41 »

Love it.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2012, 20:58 »

Bit too close to the sun for terraforming I'd say, even if you do away with the greenhouse effect somehow - but colonization via floating platforms? I can kinda see that, in a few-centuries-from-now timeframe. Possibly ones that float to above the cloud layer when it's night on Venus, and drop ballast/sink into the clouds a bit when the sun starts roasting. Or alternately, ones that simply stay in an orbit with Venus between the sun to avoid all that pesky radiation.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2012, 04:05 »

Bit too close to the sun for terraforming I'd say, even if you do away with the greenhouse effect somehow - but colonization via floating platforms? I can kinda see that, in a few-centuries-from-now timeframe. Possibly ones that float to above the cloud layer when it's night on Venus, and drop ballast/sink into the clouds a bit when the sun starts roasting. Or alternately, ones that simply stay in an orbit with Venus between the sun to avoid all that pesky radiation.

This has been theorized IIRC. About 40km up, Venusian air pressure is the same as earth's so you could set up floating, airtight habitation there without having to worry about explosive decompression, or horrible implosion.

Of course the sulfuric acid would probably do nasty things to anything sitting in the atmosphere for an extended period of time. [src]

Jev North

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:11 »

Solar irradiance isn't the driving factor for Venus being so damned hot; it's the runaway greenhouse effect. Dipping into the cloud layer is likely going to be highly counterproductive. A colony in orbit outside the atmosphere will likely be just fine, even on the day side, though it might need more beefy radiators than one in earth orbit. Compare the Venus Express, which has been happily sending images from Venus polar orbit since 2006 sans undue melting, with the Venera probes to the surface - the longest-lived lasted about two hours on the surface.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 06:22 by Jev North »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:09 »

I was mainly thinking in relation to New Eden.

I terraform Sol II by smacking it with sizable comets to get it spinning at a rate measured in hours not months.

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:42 »

Katrina, your gas trawler idea has been stuck in my head since I read it.

I can't help but think, that one of those things would be the perfect setting for a horror story...

Who knows what lurks in the cloud layers below...

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:46 »

Solar irradiance isn't the driving factor for Venus being so damned hot; it's the runaway greenhouse effect.

Oh, I know. I was more concerned for the solar radiation itself, and its effects on humans attempting to colonize Venus. They'd need right proper radiation shielding to avoid becoming a mass of tumors shortly after arrival. Using Venus as an umbra shield could cut down on the amount of shielding required, though it would still be extremely bulky.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:56 »

Solar irradiance isn't the driving factor for Venus being so damned hot; it's the runaway greenhouse effect.

Oh, I know. I was more concerned for the solar radiation itself, and its effects on humans attempting to colonize Venus. They'd need right proper radiation shielding to avoid becoming a mass of tumors shortly after arrival. Using Venus as an umbra shield could cut down on the amount of shielding required, though it would still be extremely bulky.

Was at a conference of Space Geeks this weekend where one of the sessions was a discussion of Cloud Cities in Venus's atmosphere (and elsewhere).  A 1 atm habitat would float in the Venusian atmosphere and be shielded from the solar radiation by the atmosphere.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2012, 13:43 »

Katrina, your gas trawler idea has been stuck in my head since I read it.

I can't help but think, that one of those things would be the perfect setting for a horror story...

Who knows what lurks in the cloud layers below...

Particularly on Mies V.

Katrina, here are all my cakes for that.  You can has.  Thank you.

Pages: [1] 2