Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Guy Incoming  (Read 3459 times)

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
New Guy Incoming
« on: 30 Jun 2013, 18:45 »

Hello, folks. Just upgraded my trial account and found this forum while doing my research, thought I'd make a profile and get acquainted with everybody. A little about myself, I came here at the suggestion of some long-time players I know at my local hobby store, and having become thoroughly bored of WoW, I decided to give it a shot. I'm still deciding what my path through the game will be (the combat roles all seem so confusing and there's so many skills to learn! x_x) and my character isn't quite up to snuff, but I'm working on those shortcomings.

Looking forward to learning about the game and the community, until then I'll be lurking in your channels like a creep.

Evi Polevhia

Re: New Guy Incoming
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2013, 19:31 »

Looking at the picture, first thing in my head was....Sid alt?

Nevermind that though. Welcome!

Yes, the game can get confusing. But just ask and we will do the best we can to help. And don't worry too much about finding your path super early. I did what a lot did when I was new, I was a miner for months. Now I am anything but a miner.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2013, 19:40 »

... hiiiiii

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2013, 19:58 »

Welcome  8)

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2013, 20:00 »

Yes, the game can get confusing. But just ask and we will do the best we can to help. And don't worry too much about finding your path super early. I did what a lot did when I was new, I was a miner for months. Now I am anything but a miner.

That's kind of what I like about the game so far. It seems like you can basically do anything, so, I'm having alternating periods of elation at the prospect of "My god, I'm truly free, I can be anything!" and the crushing stress that comes with the realization that maybe I don't want to be a hauler as much as I thought I did when I bought and trained Industrials.

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2013, 20:57 »

That's kind of what I like about the game so far. It seems like you can basically do anything, so, I'm having alternating periods of elation at the prospect of "My god, I'm truly free, I can be anything!" and the crushing stress that comes with the realization that maybe I don't want to be a hauler as much as I thought I did when I bought and trained Industrials.

The cool thing about it all is I didn't go -entirely- gungho into Mining. So I didn't spend forever and a day training that. But I can fly the mining barges so if the mood strikes me I can undock with some corp buddies in mining ships and we go terrorize an asteroid belt and chat away over Teamspeak.

The name of the game early on is specialize. If you wanna be Random McFlyseverything then you're gonna suck horribly at it, skills only train so fast. I specialized in mining first, then logistics (healer role). For a while I thought as far as combat I would want to do lasers, but eventually realized I like the mechanics of missiles. My character is about 18 months old and just in the last two weeks have I ever been able to use my first T2 weapons system. That is in general roughly forever compared to most people.

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2013, 22:58 »

I definitely don't want to be a jack of all trades. Right now the most attractive thing to me looks like frigate hulls. The Slasher is my favorite ship so far, and I like EveUni's pages on Interceptors and AFs and the like. I definitely want to try PvP combat somewhere down the line, but, I think I'm going to avoid it until I have a decent bundle of skill points.

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2013, 04:09 »

Minmatar frigate pvp combat? Where's Ava when you need her.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2013, 09:06 »

Welcome! I'm a frigate pvp enthusiast, with a penchant for Minmatar ships, so I'll say that you're both setting yourself up to play the game in "hard mode", as well as setting yourself up to have a huge pile of fun. :D

It sounds like you're off to a good start: the Eve-U pages are a nice way to get up to speed with the game.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2013, 09:41 »

Welcome backstage.
Also, give sub-warp frigate racing a try. All you really need is a standard frigate and a microwarpdrive.
-OOChé

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2013, 20:40 »

Welcome aboard! I've been in plenty of frigate fights (on the amarrian side, of course) and it's plenty of fun! But do be ready to devote time to learn EVE, the learning curve is long and even after some time you'll end up meeting things unknown or new. :)

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2013, 07:58 »

sup!

Would you like some Vherokior tea?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jul 2013, 09:58 »

* kalaratiri applauds frigate pvpers

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Corso.Verne

• sons of liberty
  • Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jul 2013, 11:06 »

I definitely don't want to be a jack of all trades. Right now the most attractive thing to me looks like frigate hulls. The Slasher is my favorite ship so far, and I like EveUni's pages on Interceptors and AFs and the like. I definitely want to try PvP combat somewhere down the line, but, I think I'm going to avoid it until I have a decent bundle of skill points.

First off, welcome to Summit and to New Eden in general!

If I could give one single piece of advice to you as you're just starting out, it is to never, ever think ^^^ that way. Apart from burning out, the biggest Eve subscription killer is psyching yourself out too much and putting things you want to do off until you're "ready for them". Eve is a game that, by the very nature of its progression system, won't ever make you feel like you're "ready". There's always more to train, that next ship to fit, and if you hide in high sec hauling or mining while you wait, you're going to get bored and quit before you do anything you actually want to do. It'll make you feel like this game isn't "for you." Unless you love high sec and/or hauling and mining, and in that case keep doing what you're doing!

If you're looking for small gang frigate combat with a low SP threshold for usefulness, I would advise you to do some research on Faction Warfare. Because the FW plexes (the nodes that you fight over) are only accessible by activation gates with ship restrictions, you can be extremely effective early on as a frigate pilot because you can be reasonably sure the enemy won't drop anything too big on you for you to handle. The novice FW plexes only allow T1 frigates, so there will never be a point in FW where you will feel like you can't do anything just because you're in a frigate. Also, training for the T1 logistics frigates allows you to contribute even if your support skills are total garbage and your DPS sucks, if you don't just want to be in a flying warp disruptor, which is still vital but can be a bit dull. FW plexing is also highly profitable, albeit extremely boring if there's no one around to fight.

But there are other options besides Faction Warfare! I'm likely biased because it was my first and semi-current Eve career (this character is my main, about two months old, has been an effective PvPer for most of that time). But honestly, you can be helpful just about anywhere. Null sec alliances need fast tackle as much as FW fleets do, and while you're waiting to skill up you can make a boatload of ISK just fitting a Salvager to your frig and scavenging the wrecks of the massive fleet battles. Null sec alliances are also usually obnoxiously rich, so they'll be able to set you up nice from the moment you join just because they can afford to treat all new members that way.

Honestly, the only career path I would advise you don't try to tackle immediately after the tutorial stuff is wormhole space, as the bare necessities for survival in that environment have a higher SP threshold than usual. But hell, if you were to train up your exploration skills, honestly a wormhole corp would probably take you just for the dedicated scanning character, if you can manage to convince them you're not a spai considering your character is pretty new.

Anyway, I hope that was in some way helpful and/or interesting to you. Welcome to the last MMO you'll ever play, look forward to seeing you in Summit and fly safe!
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2013, 11:15 by Z-ARK »

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jul 2013, 13:32 »

Welcome!

...maybe I don't want to be a hauler as much as I thought I did when I bought and trained Industrials.

This was the plan on my first day of Eve. Isk and explosions are a bit more fun than space-trucking.
Pages: [1] 2