Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Point of clarification - Are killboard stats IC information?  (Read 4279 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

In the past, almost all of the "Blood Raider" RPers had -10 to the Blood Raiders, because of things like starting as a loyal Amarr, thus having shot a lot of Blood raider npcs.

Same for a lot of the TS-F people, and Sansha.

This has been a hell of a grind.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

In the past, almost all of the "Blood Raider" RPers had -10 to the Blood Raiders, because of things like starting as a loyal Amarr, thus having shot a lot of Blood raider npcs.

That would be a problem.

Follow-up question: Are my character's standings IC? If so, how are they represented?
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 16:58 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night

Follow-up question: Are my character's standings IC? If so, how are they represented?

I think that's up to you. People have different levels of connectivity between their "Eve The Game" and "Eve The RP world" experiences. I like to have quite a tight connection, but not everybody does, and I don't think it's something with a clear good-and-right answer.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

That would be a problem.

Personally, I like to treat them IC. To the point that I ground up some factions (Ardishapur Family) just for RP sake.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 19:05 by Samira Kernher »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Even when they were publicly viewable, they tended to be regarded only as IC as the bearer made them, due to the issues discussed above (want to RP an Empire-loyal Matari? To bad you graduate with negative Empire standings!)

So, when people said "look, I have +10 standing to *faction*, look how hard I've worked to earn their trust!" it was generally okay. People pointing to others and going "you can't be *faction*, you don't have +10 standing to them!" tended to be looked at slightly askance.

Even now, standings formulas can be wibbly. I have higher Ammatar Mandate standings than Amarr Empire, despite doing hundreds of missions for the latter and absolutely zero for the former.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Even when they were publicly viewable, they tended to be regarded only as IC as the bearer made them, due to the issues discussed above (want to RP an Empire-loyal Matari? To bad you graduate with negative Empire standings!)

I graduated with positive Empire standings and negative Republic standings, because as soon as I logged in for the first time I immediately flew to Hedion University and took my tutorial agent missions from them. :3

Though, that was before I decided that Sami actually did attend Republic University IC. Oh well.

Even now, standings formulas can be wibbly. I have higher Ammatar Mandate standings than Amarr Empire, despite doing hundreds of missions for the latter and absolutely zero for the former.

How is that wibbly? The Mandate are the Empire's bitches, anyone who has positive Imperial standing is therefore greatly respected in the Mandate.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Maybe I wasn't clear:

I have done hundreds of missions for the Empire. I have done zero for the Mandate. My Mandate standing vastly exceeds my Empire standing.

Obviously friendly standings boost for friendly neighbors. For the Ammatar to actually be more fond of someone who's never lifted a finger for them feels... odd.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver

From the thread in question:

Quote from: ISD LackOfFaith
Dropping in with a clarification: it is forbidden to post kill reports as they inevitably lead to non-productive discussion, but that does not invalidate their existence. That said, kill reports seldom tell the full tale, and can be easily falsified, so take that as you may.

((OOC: Kills and kill records are a thing that capsuleers are quite familiar with, but 'killboards' in a metagame context don't exist in canon. Feel free to refer to 'kill records'. For more info on what is or isn't in-character knowledge, check out my guide on it.))

I'm not sure I agree on the idea of killboards being a metagame concept.  I could see CONCORD maintaining a service such as eve-kill, after all the oversee empire wars.  And all the OOC reasons that a PvP alliance, corp or pilot might want to have a public track record of their combat activities apply IC as well.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

All the loss reports and kill reports of your corporation are viewable ingame, if you are a corporation member, unless I am wrong. (Though "kill" means here "final blow".) This would be either a CONCORD or a corp service.

And of standings, it was an IC pick on which corporation we got jump clones from at Aseyakone. (Corporate +8.0 to Zainou, in our case.) I'd say that "functionless" standings are kind of ignorable, though I am a big fan of matching standings and RP, even if just because.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2013, 00:29 by Mithfindel »

Vincent Pryce

I take great pride in my Archangels +10.0 (unmodified). My Angel Cartel sits at 8,66 unmodified but it feels a bit less of an accomplishment as the Angel epic arc is repeatable and it's a hefty boost from it, that said I've done it only a few times and a lot of that does comes from regular storyline missions in Curse.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Looking at the Evelopedia page that ISD keeps, it seems like his objections are couched in terms of the word "killboard" referring to a metagame tool that we as players have adopted, along the same lines as EFT or EVEmon. "Public kill record databases" would probably go over just fine, the same way he suggests that EFT or EVEmon be referred to as "simulations" or "calculations".

Lyn Farel

I consider mine more or less IC since they - more or less - fit to my character RP. I know I would not if they did not. For example before I noticed I could farm missions for SOE to gain SoCT standings, I was like at -0.5, which was ludicrous because somehow running Amarr missions decayed them a bit, I considered that small bit of standings to be utterly OOC.

From the thread in question:

Quote from: ISD LackOfFaith
Dropping in with a clarification: it is forbidden to post kill reports as they inevitably lead to non-productive discussion, but that does not invalidate their existence. That said, kill reports seldom tell the full tale, and can be easily falsified, so take that as you may.

((OOC: Kills and kill records are a thing that capsuleers are quite familiar with, but 'killboards' in a metagame context don't exist in canon. Feel free to refer to 'kill records'. For more info on what is or isn't in-character knowledge, check out my guide on it.))

I'm not sure I agree on the idea of killboards being a metagame concept.  I could see CONCORD maintaining a service such as eve-kill, after all the oversee empire wars.  And all the OOC reasons that a PvP alliance, corp or pilot might want to have a public track record of their combat activities apply IC as well.

I like ISD answer. I don't even want to start considering the metagame and how it is IC... What a nightmare.
Pages: 1 2 [3]