Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Point of clarification - Are killboard stats IC information?  (Read 4282 times)

Ollie

• Egger

Firstly some disclaimers. This is an admittedly trivial topic**, but as it has to do with tools I use commonly I've got a vested interest in making sure I'm doinitrite. I apologise if it comes across as the opposite of this - ie, a 'urdoinitwrong' post. That's not my intention but if it's deemed so by mods, well send it to the catacombs I guess.

Also, while I've posted a link below I'm not actually intending to be critical of its content. As the title says, I'm seeking clarification.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3250026#post3250026

The question's simple: Are killboard stats IC or OOC information?

I've always regarded them as the former - am I wrong in this way?

My reasons for regarding them as IC information is that they stem from in-game killmails.

I can understand why they might also be OOC, however - the process of getting them from the in-game killmail reporting to a third-party website could be regarded either way.

IGS specifically forbids posting killmail links to its forums - the reasons for this aren't clear to me however. I'm not sure whether it was intended to limit trolling, whether it has an IC basis or whether there are other considerations I'm unaware of.

Is there any sort of consensus on this?

** I may be overthinking this :)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Killboards are IC.

And... it's Leo.

Killmail links aren't permitted on any part of the EVE forums. The same as chats or eve-mails. It has nothing to do with it being IC or OOC.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 19:08 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

This has been an issue before.

Yes, killboards are IC in my opinion.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

One of the reasons posting kill links in IGS is not kosher is due to the multi-page threadnaughts that result instantaneously from each side trying to spin the kill report (you blobbed! It doesn't show your allies! Blah blah blah).  It's 100% awful, 100% of the time, from all sides.

I treat all killmails IC because they can be independently verified.  Call it CONCORD, call it spais, whatever, they are undeniable.  If they aren't IC it gets into very 'he said she said' territory when that faction battleship you lost to a noob frigate mail gets thrown in your face and you say 'nu-uh totally didn't happen they are lying.' 

It's one of the very few things in EVE we have as a 100% verifiable metric of performance, if an incomplete story of it.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Killmails are IC information, and if they are posted on a public killboard, they are public IC information.

End of story. You can call it OOC info all you want, but I will use it against you regardless.

If you don't want your kill reports to be public IC information, force your pilots to disable APIs on public killboards, and lock your own. And then pray that whoever you kill doesn't have their own API key feeding to a public killboard.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Killmails are IC information, and if they are posted on a public killboard, they are public IC information.

End of story. You can call it OOC info all you want, but I will use it against you regardless.

If you don't want your kill reports to be public IC information, force your pilots to disable APIs on public killboards, and lock your own. And then pray that whoever you kill doesn't have their own API key feeding to a public killboard.

This essentially. Your IC information security is only as good as your OOC information security.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Two players (pilots) get the combat records at the end of it. Even if Stillwater's records are somehow not public, their victims' records are.

Vikarion

I sure hope they're IC, because I've been using some of I-RED's pilots kill-mail "padding" to show that they were shooting at Caldari ships in Luminaire during the CP event.  :twisted:
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 22:25 by Vikarion »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

Kill mails, publically posted, or that you get ahold of in other means, are absolutely IC.  The only thing I can reasonably consider NOT to be IC is, say, a blog post where someone has specifically placed an OOC disclaimer on it.  Literally every piece of information generated by the game itself is fair game.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

While there are 'grey areas' - that generally lead to multipage threadnaughts here when they come up - I have never before now heard anyone suggest that killmails are one of them.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I sure hope they're IC, because I've been using some of I-RED's pilots kill-mail "padding" to show that they were shooting at Caldari ships in Luminaire during the CP event.  :twisted:

Hey that was a really big ship!

"Your group of Neutron Blaster Cannon II miss Federation Navy Moros completely..... and hits the ship behind it by accident for wrecking damage."

>_>
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 23:23 by Katrina Oniseki »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

While there are 'grey areas' - that generally lead to multipage threadnaughts here when they come up - I have never before now heard anyone suggest that killmails are one of them.

Not here, on the IGS. 

Many years of many people throwing walls of stat arguments at each other. It was awful.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

Sorry I was unclear - I meant that there are 'grey areas' where some people consider things to be IC, and other consider those same things to be OOC, and attempts to reach consensus on them in debates on this forum have led to many page threadnaughts. However, this is the first time I have ever seen it suggested that killmails are anything other than 100%, rolled-gold, absolutely IC.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

I use public killboards ICly. If both parties (victim and victor) for some reason had private killboards, and the information wasn't readily available, then I think there would be a reason to assume the information is semi-private IC. 

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain

Killboards are IC information.

Their veracity is OOC information. I am of the opinion that the unhackability' of API keys is OOC information.
Pages: [1] 2 3