Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Minmatar military specifically recruits hardened criminals for service in its elite Valklear units, and that many of the Republic's most senior officers were originally recruited in this way?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Point of clarification - Are killboard stats IC information?  (Read 4278 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Killmails are generated by CONCORD.  You can bribe CONCORD to let you shoot people in Empire for a week at a time (face it, that's what a wardec is, right).  I'm sure that they can be bribed to spill kill records.  SO, even if someone had a "private" kb, if I can get hold of the killmail, so can Havo...

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...

Can we just ignore the thread until it goes away please? This isn't going anywhere worthwhile for either side.

It's nothing personal, the whole 'you can't use this publically available intel' thing is just extremely ham-fisted.

Worst case scenario if you do wish to engage with it just get some eye witness reports from miners in the systems.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Can we just ignore the thread until it goes away please? This isn't going anywhere worthwhile for either side.

It's nothing personal, the whole 'you can't use this publically available intel' thing is just extremely ham-fisted.

Worst case scenario if you do wish to engage with it just get some eye witness reports from miners in the systems.

Bleh... alright. I've used almost all my trolling spray on him anyways.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...

Cheers Kat. ♥

I just don't want this to tend into a senseless 'no you can't prove that' 'yes we can' pissing match. Ain't no time for that in my RPing game.

Ollie

• Egger

While there are 'grey areas' - that generally lead to multipage threadnaughts here when they come up - I have never before now heard anyone suggest that killmails are one of them.

To be clear, I've always regarded them as IC - I just never bothered to ask anyone, and the OOC bit at the end of the post I linked made me think 'I wonder if that conclusion is the one everyone else has too'. Before posting on Backstage I tried to run some scenarios on how/why killmails might not be considered IC. Merdaneth and Havo's posts more or less summarised my conclusions there but I was never particularly convinced by them.

In any case, Halete's right - the purpose of the thread was to get a community consensus so I could determine whether I needed to alter my play-style or not and that's been achieved.

Desiderya

It's fair game to say that the own KB information is not available to the IC public.
However, since there are always two parties involved (with CONCORD/DED it'd actually be three) it is fairly trivial to aquire the information from them, meaning that in practice, there's no real value to the 'non-public' claim as any information relevant to someone's own killboard is merely an accumulation of publically available data, and features such as campaigns or individual 'awards'/'leaderboards' could be redone from scratch with a bit of effort.

So, next time, better have a third party terrorize the neighbourhood (on your payroll/behalf), then offer protection with a white vest. Imho both the more realistic and effective approach. :)

Aelisha Montenagre

Killboards are IC.  Choose one:

1. Post your kills and have credibility and gloating credentials.

2. Don't post your kills and claim the kills other post are fabrications (and look like an idiot).

Too tired of cop outs in RP to even be polite about this one.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 09:37 by Aelisha Montenagre »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Baffled how KBs wouldnt be IC. 

Always used them as such.  Always will.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger

Killboards are IC. There's no real way to argue against that unless you're actively looking for an argument that you've lost from the outset. Ignorance does not beget activity.

Dame Death

• Very Bitter Vet
  • Wetgraver

I've always used Eve-kill as a Public Concord combat database if its on there we know it IC,

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I think we might clarify that -capsuleer- piloted kill records are easily discoverable IC.

NPC kills however, not so much.

IE if you are a dirty pirate you are likely out terrorizing all manor of unlucky space travelers in you area that might or might not show up IC publicly.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Sometimes I wish standings were viewable, though I know people would have issue with that.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Sometimes I wish standings were viewable, though I know people would have issue with that.

Used to be.  People did have issues because many an RPer claiming x enemy would have +5000 standings with that faction NPC wise.

I think it was debatable but many people didn't assume the npc standings were particularly cannon or IC as getting npc missions too involved in our RP breaks the walls incredibly fast.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Howso?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

In the past, almost all of the "Blood Raider" RPers had -10 to the Blood Raiders, because of things like starting as a loyal Amarr, thus having shot a lot of Blood raider npcs.

Same for a lot of the TS-F people, and Sansha.
\o/
Pages: 1 [2] 3