Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Your Most Horrible Experience In EVE  (Read 19642 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Your Most Horrible Experience In EVE
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2013, 17:42 »

My worst experience was OOC drama over me being an idiot and making some really bad comments that I shouldn't have. Not going to provide details though.

Therefore, I'll describe a second, more fun incident instead.

So, it was my second week in PIE or so. I was still doing just mining at the time. That night, Thgil ran a PIE fleet, with Aldrith and some other people. I had absolutely no combat skills but really wanted to participate because I was very tired of mining and wanted to hang out with people. So I ignored the fact that Samira was a coward, fit up a salvager coercer, and went out. I figured I'd be safe. Afterall, up to this point I had thought I was pretty hot shit at EVE since I had gotten quite a few comments about how I was uncannily good at understanding the game despite being new. I was packing a cloak, so what could touch me?

I join up with them. They're all in frigates, I'm in a dessie. So, of course, they go into a novice and I can't follow. They wanted to have a small (or might have been a medium) scouted, though, and so I volunteered because I wasn't able to do anything else. They suggested I wait at the station since I was a newbie, but in my arrogance I didn't listen. So I flew over to the plex, scouted it and saw no one there on directional scanner (my first time using it, too), and went in to start taking it.

Then I saw someone on scanner. Had no idea if he was friend or foe, didn't know the scanner didn't tell you, so I was slow to cloak up. People were telling me to jump out over TS. Dude jumped onto the grid, was an enemy WT. I cloaked up, but he either saw me or was just conveniently moving in my direction, because I saw he was closing distance. I probably would have been safe, but I was panicking due to my lack of experience and worried he'd bounce me out of cloak, and people were still telling me to jump out. So I picked the first celestial I could see and jumped there. Jumped at 0, that is, because I had just mashed the button. Of course, not paying attention, the first celestial I found happened to be the ihub, and the system was currently vulnerable (I think).

So, I jumped into the middle of a WT fleet. Froze up, didn't know what to do. Where was I, what had I just jumped into, it won't let me cloak cause I'd jumped on top of people, what do I do! Got tackled, blown up, and had my pod tackled and blown up.

Cloned, and just sat there, stunned. Samira as a character is a coward and hates cloning because she doesn't see the clone as being a continuation of the same person, and I'd gotten podded, on my first night in FW when I had just gone out to hang with people and have fun. Had no idea where I'd take the character and how I'd have her react from that, I hadn't expected to be podded so soon, I had expected to last on the original for several months at least because I was actively working to avoid getting podded. I had to step away from the computer and take a break for an hour or two to settle down.

It was nothing that major (aside from being a pretty embarrassing loss mail), it was mostly a big issue for the RP consequences of it than anything else. It was a huge wakeup call though, and completely killed my ego and made me realize that I was in fact still a newb, and that no amount of book learning could makeup for my lack of actual experience.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013, 18:14 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:59 »

The first corporation I joined had a policy of only recruiting people known to another member in real life. The notion was that this would minimise the risks of a betrayal.

As you might imagine this did not work. Someone cleaned out the hangars in one of our sub-offices. The friend who recruited me was a director, was annoyed by the theft, but was even more annoyed when others in the organisation used the event to undermine her authority, and get her removed as a director. To add insult to injury they then started using a lot of the ideas she had been coming up with. She played on for a long time afterwards, but decided never to accept a corporate management role again. She gets exposed to enough shitty office politics in the real world.

I'm annoyed that we never caught and properly punished the thief.

Ah yeah, interesting case though. I think - but might be wrong - that this could be due to one of the geek social fallacies, which is to believe that because A is friend to B, and C is friend to B, then C has to be friend to A (then replace friendship by trust, it works too). That is the flaw of that kind of policies me thinks.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2013, 03:03 by Lyn Farel »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:15 »

The first corporation I joined had a policy of only recruiting people known to another member in real life. The notion was that this would minimise the risks of a betrayal.

As you might imagine this did not work. Someone cleaned out the hangars in one of our sub-offices. The friend who recruited me was a director, was annoyed by the theft, but was even more annoyed when others in the organisation used the event to undermine her authority, and get her removed as a director. To add insult to injury they then started using a lot of the ideas she had been coming up with. She played on for a long time afterwards, but decided never to accept a corporate management role again. She gets exposed to enough shitty office politics in the real world.

I'm annoyed that we never caught and properly punished the thief.

Ah yeah, interesting case though. I think - but might be wrong - that this could be due to one of the geek social fallacies, which is to believe that because A is friend to B, and C is friend to B, then C has to be friend to A (then replace friendship by trust, it works too). That is the flaw of that kind of policies me thinks.

I agree. Recruiting folks you only know in the real world only helps if you all bond in some way outside the game as well. I suspect this has a lot to do with the success of Goonswarm.

But what really burned we was. A friend who was actually a decent EVE corporate officer got completely turned off that part of the game because one greedy little shit had to execute what was a fairly small theft. It depresses me when I see that part of the EVE community that actually gets off on annoying others OOC as well. That sort of person tends to make me genuinely annoyed & angry OOC. I tend to think of them collectively as a waste of good air.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 30 Jun 2013, 06:28 »

I agree. Recruiting folks you only know in the real world only helps if you all bond in some way outside the game as well. I suspect this has a lot to do with the success of Goonswarm.
I think that Goonswarm is a good example how to put such a policy effectively into use. Mainly because they don't see trust/friendship as transitory: They simply make clear from the start that if A is getting into Goonswarm because he's the friend of B, that B will be severely punished if A fucks up. That leads to B generally being quite picky about whom to get into the Goons and also that A will have to deal with B being fucked up if he does shit into the Goon's nest. Policies are always about implementation. ^,^

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jun 2013, 10:56 »

Being entirely ignorant of nullsec fleet comps or nullsec fleet combat and getting personally berated and made fun of by the FC on comms with 700 people listening in.

Yes I was that person who brought a Drake to a Tornado/Naga fleet.

This also though turned into a Crowning Moment of Awesome. I was told I was a dumb fucking noob who couldn't understand (the unclear, because my alliance was short bus special) instructions and I should just come in a slasher or something and be tackle.

So I did. Despite having literally zero projectile skills at all at that time, I did for some reason have like Min Frig 4 (I think I was planning on flying a Scimitar eventually?). So I fit tackle, prop, and minmatar racial jammers since our enemies tended to also field tornado fleets I heard. And this lead to me actually locking down several tornado's single handedly over the course of the fights. I was so impressed at how well I did with a cheap tackle with a racial jammer that it was all I brought to the battlecruiser fleets from then on.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #50 on: 14 Nov 2014, 22:06 »

Most horrible thing in eve was losing a corp member that was part of Anyanka's storyline. You know who you are. I miss what they had.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 11:40 by Anyanka Funk »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 14 Nov 2014, 22:46 »

I see Funk is on a necro spree.

My worst moment was trying to come back to EVE and being unable to get my original account back.

Valadeus

« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2014, 06:05 »

I don't want to name names or implicate anyone, so I'll be as general as I can be.

My worst experience occurred quite recently and is the reason I'm now playing this character and not a different one.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #53 on: 15 Nov 2014, 06:20 »

This one time, I trusted some people.

Then, this other time, I trusted some more people.

... seriously, I think I may have some sort of braindamage.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #54 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:07 »

Insert one of several times I fell asleep at the keyboard and lost a deadspace fit Legion to narcolepsy.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #55 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:57 »

What, you actually suffer from that condition IRL, and you still let me play it ICly at times ? Now, that's embarrassing. :eek:

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #56 on: 15 Nov 2014, 20:49 »

I have surprisingly few terrible Eve moments. Maybe the time I mistook a 900m isk shield amp for a 200m isk shield amp when setting up sell contracts. That wasn't a great day.

Norrin Ellis

• Manager, EVE Online Hold'Em
  • Wetgraver
    • EVE Online Hold'Em
« Reply #57 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:39 »

I've lost some ships.  I always find it awful when it happens, but then it turns out to be a minor inconvenience.  After all, I have plenty of ISK.

I've been mocked by the crowd.  I always find it awful when it happens, but then it turns out to be a minor headache.  After all, I have a block button.

I've been hurt by some friends.  I always find it awful when it happens, but then it turns out to be a minor disturbance.  After all, I can make new friends.

I've hurt some friends.  I always think they deserve it when it happens, but then it turns out to be awful.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 16 Nov 2014, 16:40 »

I've hurt some friends.  I always think they deserve it when it happens, but then it turns out to be awful.

This here. I've felt frustrated about many things (like stupid ship losses and client crashes at critical moments), but they pass, sometimes within minutes.

But there have been times that I've projected my own frustrations on some of my fellow players. Those moments don't fade easily or quickly, and they're my most horrible experiences.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #59 on: 16 Nov 2014, 16:55 »

Confirming it's the worst.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7