Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Character issue: is this godmoding?  (Read 6810 times)

Creep

• Omelette
Re: Character issue: is this godmoding?
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2013, 06:32 »

If you go with the genetic tinkering route, keep in mind how that sort of thing has backfired on people like the Jove. Recurring negative side-effects from clone to clone can be awesome for character-building.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2013, 07:43 »

Hmm I can't find the source I had in mind... It could be I mistook it for the one previous linked and mixed it up with something said at Fanfest. If that's the case, my bad.

Though as Lallara says, you seem to have already made up your mind about it so what I or anyone else says is irrelevant.

Personally I do think you are going against PF and bending it overtly to suit your desires. *shrugs*

There's one thing to do to get an actual clarity - Ask CCP Falcon, he seems to be very easy to get a hold of ingame. That should solve this debate.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2013, 08:00 »

Vincent, here's the thing: I don't know what I'd do if my move turned out to be actually against PF.

I hate coming off as arrogant, partly because I'm in permanent danger of being arrogant. I also take a lot of pride in working within the confines of worldbuilding, so both my desire not to callously walk over others and my pride demand care for the setting. That being the case, much as I've "already decided," the discovery that having Aria semi-accidentally switch careers is contra-canon would cause me to revisit that decision.

Lallara is wrong about my mindset. If it didn't matter, I wouldn't ask. I'm not just looking for validation here; I'm confronting the issue, and any feelings that I have to one side or the other have to live side by side with what I hope qualifies as intellectual honesty.

Now, the suggestion re: CCP Falcon-- that's a good idea. If a chat window is likely to be needed, that's an issue; it's hard for DUST players to see logging ins and outs right now. If an Evemail will work, I'll use that. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if someone would volunteer to put the question to him.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 08:08 by Aria Jenneth »

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2013, 08:07 »

Honestly, if two devs can outwardly disagree on the PF in a public manner, I personally wouldn't take anything that's not hard and on-paper as offical background material.

Regardless, though... I asked CCP Eterne a question over Evemail, and he got back to me. I'd assume the same would work for Falcon.

I hope you don't end up feeling a need to dump Aria. :(

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2013, 08:11 »

I am going to say it is godmoding... but we can all be quilty of that when trying to add to the Eve setting with out own fiction.

I am going to disagree with lallara; when trying to "godmod" the world it is very important how it is received by the rest of the RP community. "A special kind of frog lives on Oris in the Amarr system" and "The Jovians worship me like a goddess" will only ever be true if the statements recieve general acceptance in the community. I believe this holds true for any big or small piece for fiction or fact you want to introduce into Eve.

In this case, I would likely drop Falcon or Eterne a line.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Anslol

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2013, 08:19 »

If it's IC one way, go for it. Could permanently move into a separate DUST clone and not be able to clone back to a capsuleer. That being said, OOCly, there's enough lore to justify doing it WITHOUT having to biomass Aria. You've had the character for a while, so I feel it's a waste to simply get rid of her. Just keep her out of Summit and IC channels, simple. Use her to keep playing now and then and touch base with people in OOC channels.

Maybe you have your own rather personal reasons for wanting to do it. If that is the case, then I have no room to judge. However, I feel that IC issues should not drive you to biomass an old and useful character you can still play with OOCly.  Just my 2 isk.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2013, 08:33 »

I am going to say it is godmoding... but we can all be quilty of that when trying to add to the Eve setting with out own fiction.

I am going to disagree with lallara; when trying to "godmod" the world it is very important how it is received by the rest of the RP community. "A special kind of frog lives on Oris in the Amarr system" and "The Jovians worship me like a goddess" will only ever be true if the statements recieve general acceptance in the community. I believe this holds true for any big or small piece for fiction or fact you want to introduce into Eve.

In this case, I would likely drop Falcon or Eterne a line.

Dropped a line to both (I think. DUST's Evemail is a little rudimentary).

What you're describing, Myyona, I prefer to call "worldbuilding," "extrapolating from available data" (which is how I usually approach it), or "quasi-canon." I think of "godmoding" as going in and messing with what's there, either by ignoring what's present or by introducing something out of place (such as magic, intelligent space aliens, etc.).

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2013, 08:40 »

I think the limitations to becoming a DUST soldier really come down to genetics and their implant.

Genetics is easy. We know pilot implant compatibility is a genetic crapshoot. So is (supposedly) DUST compatibility. Doesn't mean the same individual can't be compatible with both. It may be far less likely, or it may require cutting a deal with someone who can do some serious black medical genetic therapy, but I've never seen anything stating for a fact that the two compatibilities are mutually exclusive. After all, we ICly don't fully understand what makes someone compatible with pilots interfaces.

The DUST implant is a little tougher. It's a brain implant, so that suggests that it's just surgically implanted. However, we don't know for sure (or at least I haven't run across anything stating one way or another) that DUST clones use the same gel matrix brains as capsuleer clones. If our gel matrix brains are specific to capsuleers, then there may be an issue. If all clones use gel matrixes - and I can think of no reason why they wouldn't - then this isn't an issue, either.

Either way, considering how little definitive PF exists on the subject of soft cloning and how reluctant CCP is to make a definitive statement about it (based partially it seems, and this is encouraging, on it's prevalence in our own stories), I'd say you're probably safe to proceed. Especially if, as you've mentioned, it is a one-way door. Capsuleers able to jump clone into DUST soldiers and back does seem to be too much of a stretch.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2013, 08:59 »

Right, "worldbuilding". *makes note*

Btw. I read somewhere that the 1st gen clone soldiers getting killed was actually a IC way to describe a DUST character wipe. It also stated that a few 1st gen clones were still around. Sadly, I forgot where I read it. :|
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 09:02 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2013, 10:23 »

Godmoding?  Eh.  No worse than mine, and certainly better written.

My DUST character is a DUSTified version of a baseliner who'd been running around kitted up with a Duvolle killswitch (riffed from Cromeaux/Duvolle's "Final Soldier" project) in her skull.   If she got killed or needed to self-terminate, a signal would go back to base to wake up one of her clones. Since she didn't have a neural burner in her skull, her memories at the time of death didn't get transferred.  She and others like her have had to rely on being able to plug in a cable every now and then so they could do an upload of experiences and memories accumulated since their last incremental backup.

Current circumstances have encouraged her to leave her employer and go lose herself among regular DUSTies (unexpected bonus: regaining some continuity in her mental life!).  It's kind of awesome how Intara Direct Action will take just about any wet cat who crawls in the door.

Now, to get around to playing her.  (Not that I'm convinced that I'll actually RP with her, but hey, the background's in place, just in case.)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2013, 11:04 »

Personally, since CCP Falcon addressed a complaint that all female Capsuleers have big boobs and butts and are all quite short - due to the limits of the character creator creator - by saying it is in lore because they all draw from the same pool of physical body templates with absolutely no variation, ever, I've been willing to occasionally tell PF to stuff it to avoid ruining what is mostly a very enjoyable game to roleplay in for myself.

what ?
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2013, 11:31 »

Can someone illuminate what they mean by godmodding?

In my experience, it's forcing another person's character to perform an action or react in a specific way.

* Makkal lashes out with her fist, hitting Kat square in the gut and sending her stumbling back from the force of the blow.

* Makkal walks into the room. All eyes turn to her as she makes her way down the stairs.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2013, 11:48 »

Can someone illuminate what they mean by godmodding?

In my experience, it's forcing another person's character to perform an action or react in a specific way.

* Makkal lashes out with her fist, hitting Kat square in the gut and sending her stumbling back from the force of the blow.

* Makkal walks into the room. All eyes turn to her as she makes her way down the stairs.
It can also be blatantly ignoring accepted RP setting norms.

For example, say you pod-killed me earlier, but I'll tell you that my pod didn't REALLY explode because I have super Jove tech installed and I insta-warped out of your scram and that corpse in your locker is really just a clever decoy. DOHOHO! HOW CUNNING I AM.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2013, 11:51 »

Then my character laughs and says that your character is an idiot. You can make all sorts of outrageous claims IC; that doesn't make it godmodding.

Makkal believes she hears whale songs in space. And if you ask her, she'll tell you about the whales that she thinks lives there. In space. That's not godmodding SPACE WHALES into the setting. It's one character telling another what they believe.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 11:57 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2013, 12:37 »

Personally, since CCP Falcon addressed a complaint that all female Capsuleers have big boobs and butts and are all quite short - due to the limits of the character creator creator - by saying it is in lore because they all draw from the same pool of physical body templates with absolutely no variation, ever, I've been willing to occasionally tell PF to stuff it to avoid ruining what is mostly a very enjoyable game to roleplay in for myself.

wat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5