Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Character issue: is this godmoding?  (Read 6811 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Character issue: is this godmoding?
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2013, 12:46 »

I'm sure it sounded realistic or clever to him at the time.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2013, 12:50 »

Or he wasn't serious and was just being a smartass, as Falcon is well-known for being at times. :P

The limits are less the character creator itself and more the art pipeline according to the official response on the forums when it first came up a long time ago. Basically, they'd need to do lots of additional animation work to handle a range of avatar heights for some reason, so they didn't, and made everyone the same height to save time.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2013, 13:40 »

Personally, since CCP Falcon addressed a complaint that all female Capsuleers have big boobs and butts and are all quite short - due to the limits of the character creator creator - by saying it is in lore because they all draw from the same pool of physical body templates with absolutely no variation, ever, I've been willing to occasionally tell PF to stuff it to avoid ruining what is mostly a very enjoyable game to roleplay in for myself.

This is also true for males. Here, let me show you— *pulls down trousers*

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2013, 13:55 »

Personally, since CCP Falcon addressed a complaint that all female Capsuleers have big boobs and butts and are all quite short - due to the limits of the character creator creator - by saying it is in lore because they all draw from the same pool of physical body templates with absolutely no variation, ever, I've been willing to occasionally tell PF to stuff it to avoid ruining what is mostly a very enjoyable game to roleplay in for myself.

Does that mean Rule 6 no longer stands?

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2013, 15:22 »

Does that mean Rule 6 no longer stands?
*prods genital-less crotch*
Probably not. We all look like the angels from Dogma down here.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2013, 17:19 »

Or he wasn't serious and was just being a smartass, as Falcon is well-known for being at times. :P

The limits are less the character creator itself and more the art pipeline according to the official response on the forums when it first came up a long time ago. Basically, they'd need to do lots of additional animation work to handle a range of avatar heights for some reason, so they didn't, and made everyone the same height to save time.

I dunno - At the time, he seemed pretty adamantly serious about it, even when people asked "What, really?" I remember being weirded out that he didn't break off and say "Just kidding", or do anything to suggest that.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2013, 17:35 »

All right. The question is in, and my household router is on the blink. I'll be giving neo-Aria a rest until I can stay logged in a little more reliably, and we'll see whether the verdict is in by then.

I will freely admit to pushing a margin on this one. The motive is very simple.

* Aria is a creature of this world; Tarquin is not (though he might become one with time).

* Aria is thoughtful in ways that Tarquin is not on his best day. Although, again, perhaps he could be.

* Aria as capsuleer has reached a dead end; there's nothing further I can do with her there. However, I am very fond of the character and it would be neat to get to play her in another role. Additionally, there is no longer enough time in my life for Eve. DUST is a bit easier to be involved with on a casual level.

If CCP Falcon and Eterne nix my character conversion, I'll probably treat the resources I've put into Aria as a donation to CCP and switch my RP fully back to Tarquin. Aria may continue from the periphery as an occasional essayist. It'll be a pity, but there it is: I knew I was pushing margins when I made the move in the first place. I have no cause for complaint if my decision to check my canonical validity returns a negative result.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2013, 17:54 »

* Aria is a creature of this world; Tarquin is not (though he might become one with time).

Okay. Gonna go weep gently in the corner now.

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2013, 18:36 »

I think its minor Godmodding.  Perhaps shrug inducing but you've put your time in and have worked for years so I think leeway is due!

That you wish it to be one way, and this implies a serious commitment with consequences for you, makes it just fine in my book.

If we see Aria back as a capsuleer though it will induce much eye roll. :)

That being said have fun, enjoy yourself and your new role :)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2013, 18:40 »

Here's hoping for best. I'll say again - At the end of the day, for whatever it's worth, it seems better to skirt the (often fickle) fluff a tiny bit on occasion, then to lose a lot personal enjoyment.  I mean, consciousness and identity in Eve are generally portrayed as pretty fluid, with uploads, downloads, all sorts of colourful alterations... I'm sure one could contrive a way to circumvent whatever barriers are in place, and maybe even make a bit of interesting roleplay that might come as a result of the cost for doing so.

I'll be genuinely super bummed if you do end up deleting her. She's one of my favourite characters to interact with, for reasons that are probably obvious.

...I'm also not sure what I'll do with some of my roleplay if you decide to retcon, since her being about has kind of changed Gwen's relationship with two or three other characters somewhat. But if her returning never happened, and indeed, couldn't have happened, well...

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2013, 19:17 »

Gwen:

I, too, will be bummed. Possibly extremely bummed, and I'm sorry if it ends up putting you to in-game difficulties. Perhaps we can come up with an approach that doesn't mean having to retcon the whole shebang. (Aria's always been a touch reckless for someone so paranoid, and may have risked contacting old associates to basically say, "Hey, there. Not dead yet.")

A tricky-to-master aspect of strategy is to arrange things so that no matter what happens, you win. In this case, if Aria has to get radically modified/retconned, I'll have a new-ish character whose spiritual and philosophical development I can see to (I've recently realized that's what I've been missing in Tarquin's roleplay, which is why I ported Aria over to begin with). If Aria gets to continue, I get to proceed with the Children of Naught writings as applied to DUSTers.

Either way is good, though Aria is the sentimental favorite.

If I can get to the point where I can do this with my legal career, I'll be pretty well set. :P

Makkal:

Okay. Gonna go weep gently in the corner now.

Is this a comment on Aria, Tarquin, my commentary on "this world," or ... some combination?

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 21 May 2013, 20:16 »

If we see Aria back as a capsuleer though it will induce much eye roll. :)

Yeah-- shuffling one way seems forgivable if the devs don't explicitly disallow it. Shuffling both ways?

Er.

If they ever introduce a "Sims" variant for New Eden, however (and stranger things have happened), they MUST introduce a mode allowing you to either retire your Eve character or just allow that same character to have a home life. We sort of have that now, but your Eve character can't currently die in the smoldering ruins of what was supposed to be a nice dinner.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2013, 20:29 »

Gwen:

I, too, will be bummed. Possibly extremely bummed, and I'm sorry if it ends up putting you to in-game difficulties. Perhaps we can come up with an approach that doesn't mean having to retcon the whole shebang. (Aria's always been a touch reckless for someone so paranoid, and may have risked contacting old associates to basically say, "Hey, there. Not dead yet.")

A tricky-to-master aspect of strategy is to arrange things so that no matter what happens, you win. In this case, if Aria has to get radically modified/retconned, I'll have a new-ish character whose spiritual and philosophical development I can see to (I've recently realized that's what I've been missing in Tarquin's roleplay, which is why I ported Aria over to begin with). If Aria gets to continue, I get to proceed with the Children of Naught writings as applied to DUSTers.

Either way is good, though Aria is the sentimental favorite.

If I can get to the point where I can do this with my legal career, I'll be pretty well set. :P

:) That's very kind of you to offer, and would certainly help. Hopefully it won't need to come to that, though.

It'll be a bit of a pity if you change Tarquin around to fill the void - I've actually quite enjoyed his relative bluntness and somewhat black and white thinking in their own way. It's a pretty far cry from Aria, to the point that I didn't realize you were playing him until about about the third time I saw him on the Summit. Though I'd certainly miss the achurish abstract philosophical discussions greatly, too.

I should mention that, in case you're not aware, there are several other Dust players I've encountered who are pushing the former Capsuleer angle, as well, who seemed more or less accepted. ...So the whole affair seems unlikely to go away, regardless of what CCPs ultimate decision is.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 20:30 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2013, 21:46 »

Hah. Here's to hoping your legal career can transition more easily.

I'm not going to say this is much ado about nothing, but the specific concern does seem a little extreme. I realize you are attached to Aria (hell, I'm attached to Aria), but there's already been some good replies in the "but it's a game" category. Here's why that's relevant...

I don't at all believe that either developer you question will reply with an answer in the negative, because that's not what this game or even the IP as a product-concept is about. The IP has been very much built with the players since its creation, as the developer had, from 2000 through about 2006, less time to focus on any world-building that wasn't front-facing for their client. Some people complain that there had been little attention on story and world-building post-ISD shakeup, but there was next to nothing in 2000-2003. Part of that was the game not existing yet, but the old farts like myself remember a very vibrant community that wanted to fill in every gaping hole they possibly could. And they received the Company's blessing. That seems to be part of ISD's job right now, according to the official descriptions, with the difference being that they are not writing so much for breadth any longer, but for depth.

The world that exists now is as much the world of the players' choices as it is CCP's world. That's not marketing rhetoric. If you go back and read the Hamish saga, or any of the similar material of the time: those and similar stories shaped what EVE is as a science fiction setting today. CCP has always said, since the time of Beta -- or at least from the moment Hilmar realized jetcan mining was a thing -- that they intended to simply play the role of GM.

So does it make sense that you ask? Yes, sure. It's like a P&P game: you should go ahead and ask the GM when in doubt. But, I've frankly read about crazier events in the official EVE novels than what you yourself have attempted.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #44 on: 22 May 2013, 09:21 »

Is this a comment on Aria, Tarquin, my commentary on "this world," or ... some combination?
I didn't know Tarquin was your alt.

Current Events
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5