Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help a Confused WoW Escapee  (Read 7144 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Help a Confused WoW Escapee
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2010, 19:20 »

Also, because you can't hide in a space battlefield (everybody can see you on their overview) unless you want to cloak and do nothing, EVE 'snipers' are more akin to designated marksmen: people who can just shoot you from really far away as opposed to sneaky bastards who you won't see until there's a bullet in your skull.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2010, 19:26 »

Also, because you can't hide in a space battlefield (everybody can see you on their overview) unless you want to cloak and do nothing, EVE 'snipers' are more akin to designated marksmen: people who can just shoot you from really far away as opposed to sneaky bastards who you won't see until there's a bullet in your skull.

Imma give you a high five for knowing the term "designated marksman."
<high five.>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2010, 21:22 »

Imma give you a high five for knowing the term "designated marksman."
<high five.>

Uh, <high five>, but I'm in the military, so it's really not much of an accomplishment.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2010, 21:24 »

I didn't say it was an accomplishment, I just generally appreciate anyone with a military vocabulary.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2010, 04:19 »

Too bad they just teach you to carebear. ;)

Nah. If anything, they've upped their PvP roams into lowsec. Have seen a few come past me, and I've seen reference to them in a number of blogs.
They run some pretty large fleet ops.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2010, 06:33 »

Join something like EVE-Uni corp.   Go try everything, you never know what you might like. For your first ship, skill up for an interceptor, I still use these things as my main ship and it only takes like a month to skill for it.  And I've been playin for yearz. ^_^

If you can learn to fly an Inty, you can learn to fly anything. ^_^
/ditto; I <3 my Crow. And, inties are mainly a specialized version of the most basic pew pew role that anybody can do almost right out of the tutorial with T1 skills and equipment: tackle.

The best tip I've given friends is to avoid the Rocket Ravens!TM trap, where new players think knowing just the battleship skill is an I Win button and skill straight for it. Bigger isn't always better, and skilling for proper support and fitting is a must. But, it sounds like you've already realized that.
Will work for pretty sig.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2010, 09:51 »

Interesting point I saw mentioned that I will re-hash - if you like RP, now is also the time to think about which direction RPly you might like to go, as the type of corp you wish to join might affect the ship type you fly.

I believe Grr's corp for example only fly amarrian hulls.  Most members of Du'uma can fly cloaky and prefers smaller hulls.  Most pilots in Starfraction I see fly battleships and battlecrusiers.

It might be worth thinking about.  For me the RP angel is far more interesting then any actually skill training.

Oh, and in low-sec, always be ready to *spam* the warp button and you will rarely get podded if at all.

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2010, 15:37 »

If you have PvP in mind, I strongly, strongly suggest taking up either the Amarr or Minmatar line, and if you prefer solo fights, the Gallente line. Caldari does have some PvP-capable ships, but CCP's insistence on making shield transporters impossible to fit reduces their utility in small gangs, and in large fleets missile boats are near-worthless.
My HAMGu says 'Bite Me.'  :P

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2010, 03:49 »

If you have PvP in mind, I strongly, strongly suggest taking up either the Amarr or Minmatar line, and if you prefer solo fights, the Gallente line. Caldari does have some PvP-capable ships, but CCP's insistence on making shield transporters impossible to fit reduces their utility in small gangs, and in large fleets missile boats are near-worthless.
My HAMGu says 'Bite Me.'  :P

HAMgu is indeed a neat ship. However compared for example to a Thorax, Hurricane, Rupture or just to a Rifter it is far more skill and resource intensive to fly. So for his stage of player Tengu isn't really a viable option.

However, Caldari are not without solo capabilities. Drake can be a mean ship solo. Caracal has potential if you pick and choose your targets and Crows are pretty damm nice. Caldari ships just require somewhat more effort to fly these days, and it is true, you will have a bit wider palette to choose from for small gang and solo work with Minmatar or Amarr atm. If you go for solo work I would strongly recommend Minmatar, but I'm biased as a long time matarist :3

My perceptions on Caldari ships are based mostly on their performance in the gangs I fly and in the results my corp mates have with them. It's rare we field Battleships so I can't really speak for that class in Caldari ships.

PS. Everybody loves a Blackbird when it's on your side.
Pages: 1 2 [3]