Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis stole one of the six Soltueur-class Titans from the Gallente Federation?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help a Confused WoW Escapee  (Read 7154 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Help a Confused WoW Escapee
« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2010, 22:25 »

Everybody loves the concept of electronic warfare when they join. It's handy stuff, and not too difficult to train to a moderately-useful level.

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2010, 22:30 »

Everybody loves the concept of electronic warfare when they join. It's handy stuff, and not too difficult to train to a moderately-useful level.

Correction: they like it until they realize that "Electronic Warfare Operator" is just a fancy way of saying "Primary".  :P

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2010, 22:32 »

Correction: they like it until they realize that "Electronic Warfare Operator" is just a fancy way of saying "Primary".  :P

Can't shoot ya if they can't target ya  :P

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2010, 22:36 »

That's why Blackbirds are great: cheap to replace.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2010, 22:37 »

Well, I hate to bring up FPS games twice in the same post, but the only thing I play there is a sniper, so I'm used to a field full of pissed off maniacs with large guns trying to find the guy making their day worse. So being a primary isn't that alien a concept to me. That being said, again, no point trying to swim when I'm not in the pool. Who knows, I might try out PvP and discover I'm a fantastic close-range killer here.

Probably not, just a thought. X3
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2010, 00:00 »

Well, I hate to bring up FPS games twice in the same post, but the only thing I play there is a sniper, so I'm used to a field full of pissed off maniacs with large guns trying to find the guy making their day worse. So being a primary isn't that alien a concept to me. That being said, again, no point trying to swim when I'm not in the pool. Who knows, I might try out PvP and discover I'm a fantastic close-range killer here.

Sounds a lot like the classic cloaky-gang in some 0.0 alliance's turf. Drives them crazy.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2010, 06:21 »

I think the big thing to remember is that unlike level-based games, a character in Eve can start performing useful functions in a corp (even a PvP corp) within the first few weeks of play.  Yes, some corps have skill point requirements, but honestly that's more to make sure that the player's skills (not the character's) are practiced and that the person is likely to stick around a while.  When I was in charge of CAIN's recruitment, skill points made little or no difference to whether I was interested in the person for the corp -- I was mostly looking for someone who was mature and wanted to learn, rather than someone who was a hotshot pilot.

The way the skill system works, generally older characters have a broader skill set, not a deeper one.  Svetlana has close to 90M SP now I think, but I'm still not as good in an interceptor as someone who has been focused on that role for 6 months and has the practice with that ship to use it right.  Don't let your inexperience keep you from looking for a place to go.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2010, 06:26 »

I think there is something that was added to resemble the levels of other games.

That is the certificates.

They're just basically achievements that you get for completing a set of skillsets, corporations could use them as requirements for joining them but I doubt it used as anything else than another way of measuring your epeen, especially since you can make your certificates public I think?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2010, 07:40 »

Some corps do use them for recruitment; I know I did in the past, and I've seen quite a few. And I've seen others use them as requirements for specific combat roles within their organizations.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2010, 08:03 »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but don't let people fool you, skillpoints aren't overly important.

You'll hear a lot from people, and may occasionally get to feel as such yourself, that you will never "catch up" to other people because you only have a few million skillpoints and other people have 20million or more. Thing about it is if you focus your direction for just 3-4 weeks, you are equal to them in the ship you've focussed on.

Let me explain.

Let's say you decide you want to be a battlecruiser pilot. You build up for them, and spend some weeks or maybe a month or so training specifically the skills to pilot a Drake. So you've got Lillith here with 28-30mil SPs (I forget which, ahaha), and you've got 8mil SPs. Seems like a huge divide, right? Well it's really not, because in that Battlecruiser only six million SPs are actually in current use.

Someone here said it just gives you more options, and that's what it means. On top of flying my Drake, I have the option of about 6 or 7 other ship classes spanning 2 nation's types.

But in the Drake, you and I would be even.

So focus is key early on. Decide what you want to do and do it.

I think Silver's on to something, you sound like a cloaky-gang type person.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2010, 10:20 »

Join something like EVE-Uni corp.   Go try everything, you never know what you might like. For your first ship, skill up for an interceptor, I still use these things as my main ship and it only takes like a month to skill for it.  And I've been playin for yearz. ^_^

If you can learn to fly an Inty, you can learn to fly anything. ^_^

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2010, 11:52 »

Thanks a lot for all the advice, everyone. I'm planning out a few certificate routes, and maybe in the next week or so I'll consider what kind of corp I'm looking for. I really appreciate the help! :3
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2010, 13:14 »

Thing to remember is that, while a lot of corporations have SP-minimum requirements -- often for very good reasons, if they expect everyone to be battleship-capable, for example -- they will bend that for newbies who demonstrate the right mentality and an eagerness to get involved, listen, and learn from the more experienced members of the corp. Eve is a highly social game, and the best way to get into it and improve is to engage with others :)

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2010, 15:28 »

Sniping is a bit more specialized in EVE and is rarely done solo. It's not common to see sniping setups (except certain ships like the Cerberus) in smaller fleet compositions. Proper battleship snipers require a certain critical mass to really do their job well, so you tend to see them a lot in the context of 0.0 sov conflict between alliances, but they aren't nearly as common elsewhere. The only other category of ships that really qualifies in the sniper role are the HACs (Muninn, Eagle, Zealot, Cerberus) and they are again reliant on numbers for their effectiveness. But that's all I'll say about the subject for now as it'd take far too long to explain it in detail. :P

Echoing Izzy's suggestion, join Eve-Uni. Seriously, if you're just looking around for a corp right now it can't hurt to join them and spend some time learning more about the game. They provide a good stepping stone for getting into other corps and alliances as well. It's a way to improve your resume if nothing else. ;)

EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2010, 15:37 »

Too bad they just teach you to carebear. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3