Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dust 514: Gathering Forces - Open Beta Trailer  (Read 2317 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Dust 514: Gathering Forces - Open Beta Trailer
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2013, 18:34 »

I don't understand how people are already getting bittervet about a game that hasn't even hit full release yet. Seriously.

Why is it so difficult to just enjoy a game for what it is?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2013, 20:32 »

The Open Beta trailer is not pre-comped CG.

What, you think Unreal 3 can't look like that? Have you ever fiddled with UDK?

I guess Future Proof was terrible too. (Actually, it might have been, but I'm making a point.)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:14 »

One more thing, has any one of you played PS2 yet? :lol:

It's hillarious how both the EVE and the Dust514 community have been calling for more persistance in interaction and CCP has not given two fucks about it  :psyccp: Well, I guess Lallara and I will be the only people on this forum who won't be surprised by CCP going belly up over this in two or three years.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:19 »

I don't understand how people are already getting bittervet about a game that hasn't even hit full release yet. Seriously.

Why is it so difficult to just enjoy a game for what it is?

Because of :high standards:

But yes, I find the concepts in the game promising, or at least interesting.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain

Gesakaarin

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:09 »

What I love about DUST is that it shows CCP is still willing to try new and ambitious projects just as Eve itself was once and still is, quite ambitious.

I don't get where all the hate comes from, honestly.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:24 »

Hate Is All They Are.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2013, 12:53 »

Well, I guess Lallara and I will be the only people on this forum who won't be surprised by CCP going belly up over this in two or three years.

Something I've noticed about pessimism versus cynicism: pessimists (and I count myself one) get some sort of payoff for refusing to wear rose-colored glasses. To wit, we're usually right.

Cynics, those with glasses tinted blue (or maybe a kind of muddy gray-brown) don't even get that.

Laerise, I haven't the time or inclination to be Pooh Bear to your Eeyore. My can of care is of limited size; I try to apply it with discretion. That being the case, I can't be bothered to argue with you further.

Have a nice life, and try to make it easier on yourself.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2013, 13:59 »

Well, I guess Lallara and I will be the only people on this forum who won't be surprised by CCP going belly up over this in two or three years.

Something I've noticed about pessimism versus cynicism: pessimists (and I count myself one) get some sort of payoff for refusing to wear rose-colored glasses. To wit, we're usually right.

Cynics, those with glasses tinted blue (or maybe a kind of muddy gray-brown) don't even get that.

Laerise, I haven't the time or inclination to be Pooh Bear to your Eeyore. My can of care is of limited size; I try to apply it with discretion. That being the case, I can't be bothered to argue with you further.

Have a nice life, and try to make it easier on yourself.

Well, I'm just echoing the impression I get from reading the dust 514 forums, trailers / live streams and reviews, no need to get personal  :roll: I'd be the first to cheer if CCP actually did pull this off (mostly because planetside is terrible... purple and red uniforms, really!?).

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2013, 14:03 »

The Vanu are wonderful and you will leave them alone this instance. *crosses arms*
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2013, 14:04 »

The Vanu are wonderful and you will leave them alone this instance. *crosses arms*

They are, but their sense of fashion > camouflage makes my mind boggle. They're not as bad as the terrans (?) though, I'll grant you that  :D

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2013, 15:37 »

Laerise:

With due respect, the anti-CCP echo chamber is no more reliable than the pro-PC, pro-Xbox, or pro-PS3 partisans that rove the web in slavering packs. Human beings are a clannish lot by nature, and permanently beset by confirmation bias, among other entertaining psychological phenomena.

This icon, right here? 

:psyccp:

Yeah, that one. It's become the avatar of fundamental attribution error as applied by fans to CCP. "CCP has goofed in the past. Therefore they are goofy, and can be depended on to goof."

It's a bit of non-logic I ran out of patience with ages ago.

DUST is unfinished. I'm actually kind of appalled that anybody is writing reviews of a beta product; it's like reviewing a novel before it gets looked at by an editor. If I had to write a review of it in its beta state, I'd call it "intriguing, but worrying, but intriguing" and leave it at that. I might consider adding that it's not as bad as I was afraid it would be, but there's still plenty of room for things to get worse, so that, too, seems premature.

It's a freaking beta-- a freaking beta you're not even IN. Between the early state of affairs and your imperfect information, a little tempering of the predictions of doom is called for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2013, 15:53 »

It's definitely more Actual Beta than it is the Demo "Beta" we've been getting in the past couple years.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2013, 22:36 »

In other news: on PSN, with over 1.5k reviews so far, DUST currently rates 4.5 stars out of 5.

There's probably some selection bias there, of course.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2013, 06:03 »

I quit EVE a few months after release. Crap game.

Came back half a year later...
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3