Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dust 514: Gathering Forces - Open Beta Trailer  (Read 2287 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Dust 514: Gathering Forces - Open Beta Trailer
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2013, 13:49 »

Awesome.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2013, 23:16 »

Nice video. Reminds me of a gritty planetside/halo experience. <insert comment about its exclusivity to the playstation 3>

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:01 »

Yet another 'awesome' CGI trailer.

As bad as ESO.

DUST 514 will kill EVE.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:11 »

Jesus Laerise, you are the most bitter.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:22 »

Jesus Laerise, you are the most bitter.

If you mean "You would be a good Dalek" then thanks  :D

Actually I was just disapointed. Both ESO and Dust promise a lot with their trailers and the ingame footage I have seen just does not live up to the hype, which makes me sad.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:19 »

Laerise:

CCP's initial materials for DUST came out ahead of the whole Jita Riots thing, during the "We can achieve ANYTHING! NO FEAR!" period. They've been a bit more toned-down about it, since learning that they are, in fact, mortals like the rest of us.

What they were working towards, then, they are working towards, still. The signs are all over the game, starting with the "BETA - WORK IN PROGRESS" that flashes at the top of the initial loading screen and continuing through the frequently-shifting maps and hints at an economy-in-the-making.

What you've seen of gameplay footage, if it's the same I watched, is DUST at its least-interesting. A clone-countdown team deathmatch, Ambush does nothing for me.

Is it done? Certainly not. It's a beta, and it shows. If they were even calling this v. 1.0, I'd be right there facepalming along with you, but CCP itself is functionally admitting the product's half-finished state by putting a conservative face forward. That's kind of a new thing for CCP, and I appreciate that they're approaching things that way-- live and learn, I guess.

What does not kill us, etc.

The thing you sound like you were expecting-- DUST as massive, finished expansion ready to be fully grafted onto the Eve universe right out of the box-- is probably what CCP was originally planning, but that would have been a horrifying risk. There was no way to know, in detail, how the two games would affect one another's economies or gameplay. CCP may talk about the "butterfly effect" as a selling point for Eve, but it's just as relevant in examining how a big release turns into a catastrophe.

So, they're taking baby steps.

As it is, the tea leaves continue to hint at intriguing possibilities. The graphics will probably not be awesome until this thing hits the PS4, if then, but after I've finished drooling over, say, Far Cry's landscapes, it's the gameplay that has to hold up, or not. Dust will not be as fast as some triple-A titles, and it may never be as polished, but what it offers-- if it lives up to its ongoing promise-- will be wholly unique.

Its promise is not to deliver what we already get from Battlefield, et al, only FtP and with stronger RPG elements. Its promise is warfare, the closest thing to actual warfare to be found in gaming today, across thousands of unique environments.

That expectation is what drew me to the game. That is what seems to have drawn most DUSTies. As long as that expectation remains, I expect I will, as well.

... And if you're underwhelmed by the strategic implications of team deathmatch, you're not alone. I played an Ambush match, once, headed back to Skirmish, and haven't looked back since.

(And, given time and options, I expect to lose interest in Skirmish. Invading some poor sod's planetary facilities to conquer or sabotage, that's what I signed on for.)
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 12:32 by Aria Jenneth »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:58 »

You guys might be interested in this, courtesy of the veldpsar-consuming God that is Chribba: http://dustboard.com/global

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2013, 16:10 »

The completely overblown CGI trailer they released for the open beta less than a day ago actually shows that they have learned nothing Aria Jenneth  :|

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2013, 17:47 »

Everyone does CGI trailers these days though. First-persons in particular. When it comes to advertisement, cinematic trailers are almost expected. I mean, WoW had cinematic trailers, and WoW gameplay is nothing like said trailers.

I dunno. Seems horribly unfair to just dismiss the entire effort just because it's in beta and they're doing launch trailers. As much as I want to care about it but can't (Do not own and have no plans to own a console system), even I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt more than that.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2013, 17:54 »

"Totally overblown" ... Why, yes, and Eve's trailers have always been fully representative of gameplay. /sarcasm

Oops, wait-- on second thought, not done yet.

This just in: Skyrim's towns are full of live-action people who do the sensible thing and take shelter at the first sign of a dragon!

What's more, Red Bull gives you wings! Really!

It's called "puffery." It's tolerated in a commercial context (whether from marketing folks or sales reps) mostly because it is presumed that the customer knows they're being lied to a little and no reasonable person would rely on it.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 17:55 by Aria Jenneth »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2013, 18:04 »

Yeah, you don't even see the starships in EVE half-the-time because you need to be zoomed out for fighting anyway, instead stuck looking at boxes and a table.
Pages: [1] 2 3