Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Author Topic: Tell Me About: Timers  (Read 5503 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Tell Me About: Timers
« on: 16 Apr 2010, 14:12 »

This is a post from the DF1AS corp forum that I'm sharing here to illustrate the sort of things we hope to see this subforum populated with.  It only discusses timers that have a relevance in PvP situations, and while I'm sure many of you already know this stuff (especially you pirate types in corps like Veto. and Ghost Festival), there are lots of other players who don't :)

A session change timer lasts 20 seconds, during which you cannot:

• Jump through a stargate, jump bridge array or wormhole.
  • Dock.

You'll get a session change timer after:

• Jumping through a stargate (note: warp acceleration gates don't count)
  • Jumping through a wormhole
  • Using a jump bridge (POS or otherwise)
  • Docking
  • Undocking
  • Changing ships (includes boarding or ejecting from a ship in space, changing ships at a station, POS or carrier/orca, and "boarding" your pod upon having your ship blown up)
  • Joining or leaving a gang (don't ask me why, but I learned long ago not to join/leave a gang if I expected to have to dock, undock or use a stargate within the next 30 seconds)
  • Your position in a gang changes (i.e.: move from one squad to another, move into or out of a squad/wing/fleet command position, etc.)
Other timers are the Aggression timers, of which there are two which I will call personal and global (because I don't know if there are more correct names for them).

Personal aggression, which lasts 60 seconds, happens when you do something aggressive.  This includes:

• Shooting someone (guns or missiles)
  • Using e-war (ECM, warp jamming, sensor damps, tracking disruptor, target painter, ECM burst, webs, etc.)
  • Letting your drones shoot or use e-war on someone
  • Smartbombing

When you do something aggressive, you get a 60 second (one minute) timer during which you cannot dock or use a stargate.  For example: Notify: Stargate denies you permission to jump due to recent acts of aggression.

Every aggressive act resets this timer; every time your guns cycle, the 60 seconds begins again.  Every time your drones fire, the 60 seconds begins again.  Every time your... you get the picture.

Global aggression is a 15 minute timer during which, should you for some reason log off or get disconnected, your ship will remain in space and able to be probed out.  The global aggression timer works exactly like the personal aggression timer, with the exception that things other people do to you are also counted.  If you get shot and you log off to avoid dying, your ship may emergency warp to a random point in space (if you weren't warp scrambled or had enough warp core stabilizers fitted to get away) but your enemies will be able to use combat scanner probes to find you for 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011, 08:44 by Misan »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Tell Me About: Timers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2010, 17:46 »

Worth adding here the wormhole cooldown timer. It's seperate from the WH session change timer and occurs when you transfer through 2 wormholes in rapid succession (seemingly about 1 to 2 minutes or so).

When this occurs, you will recieve a message that you are repolarizing something or other, and you cannot jump again for X seconds. The time varies between 1 second and roughly 3 minutes (180 seconds). Duration of the timer seems to depend on the mass of the ship that you are flying and the time between the two transfers.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2010, 18:14 »

Interesting - I haven't traveled w-space enough to encounter that myself but it's good to know it before I do :D

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2010, 18:16 »

It was put in place to make it more difficult to collapse wormholes, at least that's what I assume the purpose was. Related to WHs (I think this is still current) aggression does not prevent you from jumping through a wormhole. Correct me if they did actually update it.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2010, 18:20 »

Last I heard, WH still didn't use the aggression timer, just session change.  But I also haven't really read all the recent patch notes thoroughly so if it has been changed someone else'll have to link the patch notes so I can update the OP

Twitter

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2010, 23:22 »

Wormholes are not affected by aggression. Aggroing and jumping through is pretty common.

There is a limit in place how many times you can jump through one specific wormhole.

If I go through wormhole A, I can go back again after 30 seconds. But if I cannot go back through it for another 5 minutes. This is largely to stop people from rapid collapsing and abusing the cloak timer to jump in and out from people.

However this restriction only applies to wormhole A. If I go to wormhole B, I can go through it twice before the 5 minute timer starts.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:22 »

This thread is great, and as I just saw Ghost's tag, I wish to tell everyone that I have begun to hate him because I cannot stop laughing.

But nice one, Havvo.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2010, 15:23 »

The single most important thing to remember in regards to timers and PvP is that timers will never be run down when you expect them to.

ProTip: Pulling / abandoning drones is a good way to make timers more reliable?  :oops:

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2010, 15:31 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the timer for redocking after aggression was 60 seconds?
Would be nice If I'm wrong. Have lost a few ships because of long wait for redock.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2010, 17:09 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the timer for redocking after aggression was 60 seconds?
Would be nice If I'm wrong. Have lost a few ships because of long wait for redock.

Aye, that's the Personal Aggression timer; OP updated for clarity.

Twitter

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 09:46 »

You also get the session timer when your position in fleet changes. Like when you become squad commander. Especially fun when the FC changes the fleet and your position when you don't expect it.

The session timer might be bypassed if the server handles your docking/jumping request before it handles your new session timer if your ships gets blown up. You can get this effect by spamming jump/dock just before you get relieved of your ship, but I wouldn't count on it.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:33 »

You also get the session timer when your position in fleet changes. Like when you become squad commander. Especially fun when the FC changes the fleet and your position when you don't expect it.
Indeed, I left this out!  Thanks for pointing it out, Merd, added to the OP :)

Twitter

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2011, 20:01 »

Sorry for the necro, but the WH polarity timer that's referred to (twice) in this thread is 4 minutes long (just to make sure nobody reads this and gets wrong ideas from it)  :bash:

Also, the session change timer is now 20 seconds.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2011, 10:49 by tarunik »

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2011, 23:21 »

• Change ships (if your session change timer is as a result of docking or changing ships).

AFAIK this is no longer true.  You can swap ships at will any time.  Immediately after JCing, immediately after docking, logging on, joining fleet, etc.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
    • Pod Captain
      • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
    « Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2011, 08:44 »

Yeah, kinda old. Updated the OP by removing that and changing the session change timer to 20 seconds.
    EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
    Twitter
    What I'm busy with, if you're curious.