Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char's voluval mark is the "Track of the Wolf"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Are the scriptures on the Evelopedia sufficient ?  (Read 6449 times)

Gesakaarin

Re: Are the scriptures on the Evelopedia sufficient ?
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:09 »

The thing is, making up scriptures isn't just adding extra flavour to RP like creating a new language, or sport, or piece of literature. They are the central concepts behind Amarrian dogma and what is considered Orthodox religious thought as determined by the Theology Council. The only scriptures to me that could potentially be created by players are those that are considered apocryphal, heretical or banned because to state that a piece of player made scripture is endorsed by the Theology Council directly impacts every single Amarr character and RP'er for they carry with them the stamp of official dogma and doctrine.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:35 »

Excellent point by Gesakaarin here, I agree with this as something I've tried to point out; one have to mind the context of what you create stuff for, because some things have very little to no flexible room regarding player-made fiction to wiggle in it.

Also, minor point; I don't think Stitcher 'invented' Splinterz, IIRC It's described as a sport in the State, in the novel about Gariushi,and possibly in a couple other sources as well.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:44 »

Lots of valid points here. I must admit I am quite... unsure about adding things to the Scriptures by players, for the reasons pointed out here. But the possibility of creating a thread somewhere were we could discuss OOCly the new contents, generate some feedback and with it also create a point on where we could all agree would probably be an useful tool.

There is another road as well. People usually like to quote things from the Scriptures, but most amarrians haven't read them, and certainly none out the TC has read them in full probably (maybe with the exception of characters that are theologians, like Archbishop). But in any religion there are many more sources: theology books written by theologians, letters left behind by saints and patrons, etc. Those are not Scriptures, and thus people can agree or disagree with them without direct conflict on who's necessarily right. Take for example the medieval theologian writings and compare them to current ones and you'll quickly see many points in difference within the Catholic faith, and yet none of them "negate" each other because they are not the Bible (which, by the way, also contradicts itself more often than not).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:53 »

There is a major difference between Napanii and made up scriptures like the last ones on the IGS. As much as I am always uneasy when looking at the way Napanii was created to be THE CALDARI LANGUAGE (<- obvious godmode), it was firstly well done with a LOT of work behind, and also apparently commonly accepted amongst players.

You can perfectly make something up that can be of that magnitude imho. But don't complain if people do not accept it. If they do, fine, you win and everyone is happy to see it getting part of "PF". Like Amarr Victor, or Napanii, or whatever.

But I hardly think christian pieces of scriptures would be. It's poor and misplaced material.

tl;dr : if people accept your made up stuff, all is fine, if they don't, drama.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:54 »

Making up things for "The Scriptures" is making up things that the Theology Council supports, since they control which items are part of the collection.

So you are making up things that NPCs are saying and believing, which in my RP book is a no-no.

You wouldn't make up statements from the Empress or for Tibus Heth; it's just as silly to do it for the Theology Council, some of the most powerful people in the entire cluster.

You want to make up religious documents make them up as obscure old treatise on x or y or whatever subject, putting them in the 'official' scriptures is godmodding of the highest order.

RP around it.  If people want to be asses and poke such specific holes in PF gaps of knowledge it can come right back around on nearly every faction, a bad road to travel.

Have a heart and cut them a freaking break on scripture specifics.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:30 »

Napanii was created to be THE CALDARI LANGUAGE (<- obvious godmode), it was firstly well done with a LOT of work behind, and also apparently commonly accepted amongst players.

I always took Napanii to be the 'romance' dialect of the Caldari while the State has another lingua franca used in its modern life. One's a language of poetry and nostalgia and the other is the language of modernity, business and daily life.

Unless I missed something?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2013, 13:57 »

Napanii was created to be THE CALDARI LANGUAGE (<- obvious godmode), it was firstly well done with a LOT of work behind, and also apparently commonly accepted amongst players.

I always took Napanii to be the 'romance' dialect of the Caldari while the State has another lingua franca used in its modern life. One's a language of poetry and nostalgia and the other is the language of modernity, business and daily life.

Unless I missed something?

I have always been told that Napanii was the official and uniform business language of the State. vOv

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:01 »

The Caldari State has an enforced language uniformity, so in some sense it would only make sense for there to be either only Napaani or not at all.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:09 »

I have never bothered to give Napaani much attention at all, as I find the introduction of Napaani affectations to be an abberation in a system where automatic translators are the norm, and all spoken and typed speech will turn up to be automatically translated and presented in plain language (unless of course, the user in question specifically modifies their software package to present Napaani in its raw form). At the same time, I also find the use of Napaani amusing as I get to watch mostly white people pretend to be Japanese-ish through the proxy of their Caldari characters.

However, that doesn't mean that I troll Napaani-using players all the time. I tend to leave it be, and Davlos justifies the usage of Napaani by other Caldari as an exercise of cultural insecurity.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:56 »

Silas, Morwen, and Geskaarin have hit on something I feel pretty squarely in their posts. I would expand on what he said by commenting that Amarrian players may be very hesitant to have their characters create Scripture and present it as fact, because if there is some PF that comes out later on contradicting this (and, by extension, indicating that your character is at odds with the Theology Council of a portion of Scripture) then congratulations - your character has effectively just committed heresy. Needless to say, in the Empire this is a very bad thing, and while it doesn't necessarily amount to an automatic ejection from the Amarr RP community or anything, it does place your character in a supremely awkward position regarding that portion of their RP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2013, 17:01 »

Can I make a suggestion?

The Live Event team appears to be interested in expanding on the scriptures, but as they obviously cannot cover everything, perhaps one could write to the MIO for clarification on certain issues? Such clarification could be asked in many forms.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2013, 17:42 »

I am not sure to like the way people are speaking about borrowing from the Old Testament. It scares me.

Maybe better to just see how it is constructed, like it seems to have been the case for the already existing pieces of scripture. But please, nothing more. Do something new and Amarrish.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2013, 00:52 »

However, that doesn't mean that I troll Napaani-using players all the time. I tend to leave it be, and Davlos justifies the usage of Napaani by other Caldari as an exercise of cultural insecurity.

I have always thought that the use of Napaani by Caldari rpers, and also French by Gallenteans and Sanskrit & Hindi by Intaki is largely a meta-narrative tool, used to signal in-group status and reinforce community bonds.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:17 »

I have always thought that the use of Napaani by Caldari rpers, and also French by Gallenteans and Sanskrit & Hindi by Intaki is largely a meta-narrative tool, used to signal in-group status and reinforce community bonds.

That may be so, but like I previously mentioned, Davlos the character thinks that the usage of Napaani is a redundant affectation, for he is Caldari and does not feel the need to announce it publicly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5