Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That it is illegal to import walnuts on to the planet Amarr Prime?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Towards the construction of (Proto-)Gallente language  (Read 8327 times)

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
Re: Towards the construction of (Proto-)Gallente language
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jan 2013, 15:00 »

N00b question: how do you make those links 'inside' words, as you did with
A little patience = Un "peu de patience"= Un "patsions-pœ"=
?
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Publius Valerius

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2013, 15:06 »

?

You make just a normal link... like [ url= website ]first word/first latters[ /url ] [ url= website ]second word/latters [/ url ] and so on. But without the "space".

Edit: P.S. I see now.... its is like you mention (two post before) "ø".... is the second part in peu..... stupid me... I totally oversaw it  :(. So for me you dont need to link it in the word twice... or more.... It was just that I oversaw, some stuff. I just wrote faster as I read the wiki and my own post  :(.

I also oversaw the further changes, as mention in the other topic: "p > b > bh > v, or f when initial"... p > f etc....
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2013, 15:26 by Publius Valerius »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jan 2013, 16:04 »

?
If you hit "quote" in the corner of a post, you'll see the code and formatting tags used in that post.

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:15 »

For those who would like to peek inside the workshop of Pre-Gallentean and Proto-Gallentian, I've added my draft (MS Word) with all the data I've formulated so far. Its in the starting post here.

The document is only a draft. If linguistics isn't your cup of tea, then skip that part and go for the glossary straightaway. That's included.  :P
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:37 »

I also found a topic on ancient Gallentian polytheism. Interesting. I should take these gods into account from an etymological point of view.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2013, 07:41 »

I just translated a sentence as an illustration.

English – Pre-Gallentean, taken from the old introductory film of Eve.

Earth, a world outgrown, scarred by war and burned with the advance of our ancestors, compelled the first voyages across space in a desperate quest to colonize other worlds.

Pre-Gallentean gloss: Terre, un grandir-plus monde, que marqué et brûlé dans raison de avancement de nôtres ancêtres, forçais le premier voyages travers le espace dans un désespéré quête pour autre mondes coloniser.

Pre-Gallentean translation: 'Jirr, unn gaidefflih moid, cha makk a bhull dai ras du evaismai du noi aisaterrs, fossa le fim voiads tavve le inivvei dai unn disaspir chei fu ut moid chuluniss'.

I took into consideration word change (although I don't speak French): marqué vs. estropié; dans raison completely replaced à cause de and other forms; avancement vs. progrès (the latter can only refer to physical movement now); univers vs. espace (espace only refers to room and vastness).
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:54 »

Wow, french google translate is awful : o

Earth, a world outgrown, scarred by war and burned with the advance of our ancestors, compelled the first voyages across space in a desperate quest to colonize other worlds.

La Terre, un monde croulant, marqué par la guerre et brûlé par les progrès de nos ancêtres, provoqua les premiers voyages à travers l'espace dans une quête désespérée afin de coloniser d'autres mondes.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:04 »

'Jirr, unn gaidefflih moid, cha makk a bhull dai ras du evaismai du noi aisaterrs, fossa le fim voiads tavve le inivvei dai unn disaspir chei fu ut moid chuluniss'

:3

I like it so much, why not just use 8000AD Gallentean as modern one? It looks exotic enough yet not far enough from the overt French references to be accepted. Noticed in the word document Scots is mentioned. Seeing some of the Briton/Celtic influences is neat (I see Welsh in 'gaidefflih' for example).

What sort of script are you thinking for Gallentean? Latin alphabet with Greek?

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:07 »

Awsome. Are you willing to translate the rest of the intro text as well? I'd appreciate it, but I understand if you don't feel like it. By the way, the translation wasn't google's, but my own. I never had French grammar, so its good to read your translation. However, I'm aiming for a very much simplified grammar, not a copy, so I'm not exactly sure to what extent I will follow any translation yet.

"Space. Its timeless boundaries and infinite horizons forged the creation of stargates that could bridge the immense distances between the stars. Through mastery of this technology mankind ventured deeper into the cosmos. Ruthless corporations rose to power, seizing every world within their grasp. When the stargates could take them no further they turned against each other, igniting conflicts that would last for centuries. The battles raged until the historic discovery of a natural wormhole, a celestial womb through which civilization would be reborn. The first brave pioneers to enter this portal emerged unscathed, transported instantly across the universe to a virgin system they called New Eden. Millions of colonists soon followed in their wake, lured by the vision of paradise, through the astral gateway known as Eve. Spreading outwards among the stars they embraced Eve with the greatest of expectations, the highest of hopes and the boldest of dreams. When one day, nature conspired with fate to breed the cruellest nightmare of all. The wormhole leading to New Eden collapsed, severing young colonies from the home worlds that sustained them. It was the beginning of a dark age that would erase civilization as it was known to be. As the accumulated knowledge of millennia slowly eroded, the unfinished worlds of Eve became the graveyards of millions. On the few planets that could sustain life the last remnants of our race struggled to adapt and survive. In time, society was reborn, and the memories of our past transformed into legend and myth."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:12 »

Oh, woops... Sorry for the somewhat offensive misunderstanding. :/

I will try to translate it when at home or now if I find the time. =)

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:16 »

Quote from: Seriphyn
I like it so much, why not just use 8000AD Gallentean as modern one?
Good to hear that. Eventually its up to yourself to use this language or the one I'm developing this moment, i.e. 'modern Gallentian'. :) The reason why I precede tormenting myself in this project, is simply because I like to keep it historical, and languages just keep changing, for ever and ever and everandeverandeffer'neffr...

Noticed in the word document Scots is mentioned. Seeing some of the Briton/Celtic influences is neat (I see Welsh in 'gaidefflih' for example).
Yeah, I mentioned Scots as an illustration for a certain sound, but in making all the data I've never been inspired by anything Celtic at all. I simply couldn't, because I don't know anything about that language group. There is a section on spelling in the document. Dubble ff marks a short vowel, etc. That explains the spelling.  :)

What sort of script are you thinking for Gallentean? Latin alphabet with Greek?
Uhm, I was thinking of a Latin based script. Last semester I had a crash course in medieval philology (manuscripts, handwritings etc.), so that will give me the right amount of inspiration for an adequate spelling system, yet historically plausible. Also, I want to make 'modern Gallentian' script and spelling more phonemical.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:17 »

Oh, woops... Sorry for the somewhat offensive misunderstanding. :/
Don't worry, it's allright.  ;) Just keep correcting me! Its useful.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Publius Valerius

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:19 »

'Jirr, unn gaidefflih moid, cha makk a bhull dai ras du evaismai du noi aisaterrs, fossa le fim voiads tavve le inivvei dai unn disaspir chei fu ut moid chuluniss'

:3

I like it so much, why not just use 8000AD Gallentean as modern one?

+1000  :D Very, very nice. Im also for the Idea, that proto-gallente would be a great gallentean already (+1000 again). Maybe an "easier"/"more commen" version would then be interstellar-gallente? But Kiro do what you think is right  :D.

Edit: Ghostposters were faster.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 09:22 by Publius Valerius »

Kiro Kathora

• Clonejack
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:24 »

Quote from: Publius Valerius link=topic=3931.msg63170#msg63170 date=1357917548[/quote
+1000  :D Very, very nice. Im also for the Idea, that proto-gallente would be a great gallentean already (+1000 again). Maybe an "easier"/"more commen" version would then be interstellar-gallente?
You don't have to worry. I'll keep the end result really as simple as I possibly can. As a matter of fact I háve to, because in Eve Gallentian is a lingua franca.

This will probably mean only primary sounds:
- a very limited vowel system, as in Italian and Spanisch; this would allow a very simple spelling system too!
- consonants as in English, which e.g. means that there won't be [ x ] [y] and [ʌi] in it, because those sounds are hard to pronounce for lots of people.

And probably a CV syllable pattern, i.e. consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel etc., as in Japanese, because consonant clusters can be hard to pronounce too.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2013, 11:00 »

"Space. Its timeless boundaries and infinite horizons forged the creation of stargates that could bridge the immense distances between the stars. Through mastery of this technology mankind ventured deeper into the cosmos. Ruthless corporations rose to power, seizing every world within their grasp. When the stargates could take them no further they turned against each other, igniting conflicts that would last for centuries. The battles raged until the historic discovery of a natural wormhole, a celestial womb through which civilization would be reborn. The first brave pioneers to enter this portal emerged unscathed, transported instantly across the universe to a virgin system they called New Eden. Millions of colonists soon followed in their wake, lured by the vision of paradise, through the astral gateway known as Eve. Spreading outwards among the stars they embraced Eve with the greatest of expectations, the highest of hopes and the boldest of dreams. When one day, nature conspired with fate to breed the cruellest nightmare of all. The wormhole leading to New Eden collapsed, severing young colonies from the home worlds that sustained them. It was the beginning of a dark age that would erase civilization as it was known to be. As the accumulated knowledge of millennia slowly eroded, the unfinished worlds of Eve became the graveyards of millions. On the few planets that could sustain life the last remnants of our race struggled to adapt and survive. In time, society was reborn, and the memories of our past transformed into legend and myth."

L'espace. Ses limites intemporelles et ses horizons infinis ont forgé la création des portes des étoiles qui comblèrent les immenses distances entre les étoiles. grâce à la maîtrise de cette technologie, l'Humanité s'est aventurée plus profond à travers le cosmos. Des corporations sans scrupules se sont hissées au pouvoir, s'emparant de tout les mondes à portée de main. Et quand les portes ne purent plus les emmener plus loin, ils se tournèrent les uns contre les autres, démarrant des conflits qui allaient durer des siècles. Les batailles firent rage jusqu'à la découverte historique d'un trou de ver naturel, un utérus céleste à travers lequel la civilisation allait renaître. Les premiers braves pionniers à pénétrer ce portail en émergèrent indemnes, transportés instantanément dans un système vierge qu'il appelèrent New Eden / Nouvel Eden. Des millions de colons suivirent rapidement dans leur sillage, attirés par cette vision du paradis, à travers la porte astrale connue sour le nom de Eve. Se répandant à travers les étoiles ils s'abandonnèrent à Eve avec les plus grandes des attentes, les plus grands des espoirs et les rêves les plus téméraires. Puis un jour, la nature conspira avec le destin et créa le cauchemar le plus cruel de tous. Le trou de ver menant à New Eden s’effondra, coupant les jeunes colonies des métropoles qui les sustentaient. C'était le début d'un âge sombre qui allait effacer la civilisation telle qu'on la connaissait. Alors que la connaissance millénaire accumulée s'éroda doucement, les mondes inachevés de Eve devinrent les cimetières de millions. Sur les quelques planètes qui pouvaient suffire à la vie, les derniers survivants de notre race s'efforcèrent de s'adapter et de survivre. Avec le temps, la société naquit une nouvelle fois, et les mémoires de notre passé se transformèrent en légendes et en mythes.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 13:34 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3