Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That being a cruel slaver is actually a fitting description for Angel Cartel members as well?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Project Synthetic Cultist  (Read 8026 times)

Dreygun

• Clonejack
Re: Project Synthetic Cultist
« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2013, 00:09 »

hmm could it be that she is not taken seriously because she is queen of wombats?
I thought what I would do was pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #31 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:05 »

Some people don't like to hear the word drone from anything that isn't made of metal and tentacles.

Heh. It's understandable. though a little narrow minded.

Keep droning on... you've managed to pull it off a little better than i did. :)

Yuni will be around again soon though :)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2014, 14:49 »

I am curious what people's thoughts are on one of Synthia's mannerisms:

[20:28:49] Synthetic Cultist > Additional: Hello.
[20:40:53] Synthetic Cultist > Furthermore: Hello.

These are a typical thing that Synthia says, usually when I have just logged in and have read something in the Summit that Synthia would respond to, but she has not yet properly greeted the Summit, after all, it is Rude to not Introduce Yourself.

[21:11:17] Synthetic Cultist > Hello Summit People and people shaped Things. I, Synthia, greet you all. Hello.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2014, 22:01 »

I am curious what people's thoughts are on one of Synthia's mannerisms:

[20:28:49] Synthetic Cultist > Additional: Hello.
[20:40:53] Synthetic Cultist > Furthermore: Hello.

These are a typical thing that Synthia says, usually when I have just logged in and have read something in the Summit that Synthia would respond to, but she has not yet properly greeted the Summit, after all, it is Rude to not Introduce Yourself.

[21:11:17] Synthetic Cultist > Hello Summit People and people shaped Things. I, Synthia, greet you all. Hello.

Mannerisms for me are a character by character thing. Some of my characters would be put off, others wouldn't notice. The only thing that drives me nuts OOCly is misspelling, bad punctuation, or horrid grammar that obviously isn't IC.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2014, 22:57 »

To me that is acceptable, of course.  It's part of personal RP, and the actual exersize of roleplaying and interactive storytelling.  A character should not be "me, if I happened to be born in X place in the EVE cluster and grew up with a different history" - ie, they shouldn't be speaking with the player's voice saying things that are relative to their setting.

To compare, Arista has a lot of mannerisms I have to consciously remember to use beyond the stereotypical 'Amarrian proper' a lot of the Amarr bloc does, because she's a) from the Kingdom and b) should have habits / behaviors from her own planet.  (if i cant 'get into character' with all of them, I simply don't RP, because for Reasons she must always be eerily consistent in her behavior.)

I mean as a simple example even on a single planet things are different dependent on local society; the noise that someone in the US makes that is a sound of agreement ("mm-hmm") is different than someone from the UK (a brief "mm.") 

Ari does that crap:

* Arista Shahni hums in thought.
* Arista Shahni hums in agreement.

Of course the reader can't HEAR those, but I basically added that non verbal vocalisation and communication is common where she comes from, so she does a lot of it.

So for Synthia to have predetermined mannerism is not only normal, it makes logical sense that a programmed AI would be programmed to follow some form of "traditional human social protocol".

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 20 Feb 2014, 13:26 »

Mannerisms are that little thing that can sometimes add a lot to a character. Some characters will profit immensely from them, while others will do less. For example I try to absolutely never use verbal contractions (like don't, doesn't, etc) with my character to that effect, to bolster formalism and make her speak like a book in her own weird way. Maybe too subtle for people to notice, I don't know, but I think it unconsciously helps.

Seri was good at that kind of things. It is also almost mandatory for a character like Synthia to have some as well I think, which is good....

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #36 on: 20 Feb 2014, 23:19 »

Synthia:

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #38 on: 08 Mar 2014, 13:29 »

I just found this thread - wanted to say that I love your idea. Also, I didn't know you could evemail NPCs and actually get a response? I was certainly amused by the responses.

Are you still active in game Synth? I would like to talk to you and find out what you have discovered of the Takmahl and of the Faith.

edit: Oh - Also, I am very deliberate in how I portray Bay IC via Summit etc as she has a demeanour and mannerisms that are related to bog standard me, however still a concious disconnect from myself. It helps me decide how to develop her, especially with reactions from others.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2014, 13:32 by Bayushi Tamago »

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #39 on: 27 Dec 2015, 09:18 »

Synthia, due to her keen interest in ladies magazines, has become quite interested in fashion over the past few years.

When dressing up for a function, she'd prefer to dress something like this:

For some Religious Occasions, her outfit is... quite different...

due to her particular religious beliefs, and what is written in Scripture.
Pages: 1 2 [3]