Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: First: Simmer down Second: slavery Discussion  (Read 27461 times)

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
Re: First: Simmer down Second: slavery Discussion
« Reply #90 on: 01 May 2013, 16:06 »

The specification Morwen gave that the rules as they exist now are IC rules is more than enough for me.

If you want your characters to be sick of the constant sniping and mod accordingly, that's absolutely fine with me! I don't think whether there is OOC motivation for that IC action need come into the discussion at all.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #91 on: 06 Jun 2013, 14:14 »

When I was still a moderator I had only one basic rule: try and prevent things that would get people riled up OOC. Usually that involved contacting people separately and telling them to either tone it down, or simply use another way to express their RP.

I don't care if it was slaves, sex, murder or simply OOC trolling disguised as IC.

It does mean that I didn't have a strict absolute rule for what was allowed and what not, because some groups could take more without the situation getting out of hand than others.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #92 on: 06 Jun 2013, 19:01 »

Perhaps a solution is a channel specifically dedicated to Minmatar - Amarr diplomatic realations (Ha) and the discussion of slavery.  For all involved to get it out of their system.

For the rare moments of across the aisle respect. 
For Amarr to say how much they want to enslave us
For Minmatar to scream for blood and blow their tops.

It will almost certainly have to be closed in a week.
But what a week it would be

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #93 on: 07 Jun 2013, 03:17 »

Amarr can't even agree on who they want to let into their own channel, much less talk nice to the other side.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #94 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:42 »

There's an Amarr channel?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #95 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:46 »

There's an Amarr channel?

"Imperial Congregation"

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #96 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:05 »

Oh that! The Amarr faction includes non-Imperials and non-Faithful, so I wouldn't have considered it.

If it's widely considered the Amarr channel I ought to have Makkal drop in a bit more often. Homesickness is a bitch.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 16:06 by Makkal »

Current Events

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #97 on: 07 Jun 2013, 17:53 »

For clarification, the current standard for admission into Imperial Congregation is that someone must be one of the following:
- A loyal citizen of the Amarr Empire.
- A loyal citizen of the Khanid Kingdom.
- A loyal citizen of the Ammatar Mandate.
- A person of faith in any other nation or location.

The following are grounds for immediate expulsion from the Imperial Congregation, regardless of above:
- A public declaration of loyalty to any faith besides the Imperial, Khanid, Ammatar, or major loyal variants thereof. Participation with Sani Sabik or Blood Raider groups will be considered to fall under this category.
- Active combat operations against the Amarr Empire, Khanid Kingdom, Ammatar Mandate, or any other distinct group of Faithful. Supply and logistics operations supporting groups participating in the above also count.
- Violations of law of the 3 above nations, within the territory of the 3 above nations.
- Becoming continuously becoming disruptive, insulting, or otherwise inhibiting the channel's ability to function. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT ARGUE, merely that incessant arguing and flaming will probably get you eventually removed.
- Moderators reserve the right to remove anyone at any time because we can. Trying to edge around or bend any of the above rules will probably get you into this category.

Hopefully this makes things more clear. If you want to discuss or suggest a change to one of the above rules, feel free to convo or mail me ingame.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #98 on: 09 Jun 2013, 09:54 »

I'd prefer it was worded as "Don't do shit for the sole purpose of causing drama".  For a while, there was no issue with slavery in the Summit, but then some people long banned decided to cause a massive amount of drama about it.  The moderation team around at the time discussed it and found very few instances where characters were bringing in NPC slave characters (and in some cases PC slave characters) for any reason other than to cause a massive truckload of drama and to rile people up.

So we stopped it.

Its the same reason we don't let people murder NPC's 'on camera' in the Summit, because it never leads to anything good.

Roleplay is story-telling and stories need drama and conflict to to be stories.   By deliberately cutting out drama and conflict from The Summit you are severely stifling RP.  Game mechanics already provide a method for settling disputes over slavery; the war-dec.  Moderation should focus only on keeping OOC out and squishing god-modding.   It has no place doing anything else.   If you don't want to follow the rules of the Inter-Galactic Summit then you need to change the channel name and stop pretending to be an extension of the IGS.

By rights anything run by CONCORD should have a Gallentean/liberal slant but CCP has decided that the IGS should actually fair and neutral.  The Summit, which claims to be an extension of the IGS should be also.

Also the fact that you have characters with blatant ties to pirate factions managing a part of the IGS is pretty damn immersion breaking.   If a player wants to be a mod, then they need to sacrifice a character slot and create a new character who's ties are to CONCORD and the SCC.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2013, 10:23 by Hamish Grayson »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #99 on: 09 Jun 2013, 10:21 »

I'm not sure anyone has ever claimed the Summit is an extension of the IGS.

Didn't it start out as an Amarr channel?

Current Events

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #100 on: 09 Jun 2013, 10:27 »

As I recall from days of yore it was, and was modded by SCC loyal characters.   That was a long time ago and the details escape me.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #101 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:18 »

Having discussion is one thing. Trust me, we still have -lots- of arguements about slavery between people on the Summit; that was never inhibited by the "no slaves" rule, and it isn't being inhibited by the "don't be a dramamonger" rule now.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #102 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:25 »

I don't think that the Summit claims to be an extension of the IGS, but a lot of people surely seems to think it is.

Also, the Summit has never been an Amarr channel in the past, just an old CONCORD channel set up by Amarrian loyalists to act as a neutral ground or something iirc.

And allowing people speaking about slavery while denying them the right to show off their cultural differences is pretty hypocritical to my eyes and even hints at gallente bias/slant actually, though, this is done completely IC, so that's their call eventually. And that's our call to call them biased ICly.  :twisted:

And get banned ICly.  :cry:

Of course, the channel is far from being neutral, since it is run by player characters, who are main characters for most with their own faction. Bringing a lot of different factions in the mod team does not mean that it will be neutral. With CONCORD alts, however, yes, maybe, though players OOC influence would still be there eventually, so looking for true neutrality is like looking for a chimera.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #103 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:29 »

By rights anything run by CONCORD should have a Gallentean/liberal slant but CCP has decided that the IGS should actually fair and neutral.  The Summit, which claims to be an extension of the IGS should be also.

Also the fact that you have characters with blatant ties to pirate factions managing a part of the IGS is pretty damn immersion breaking.   If a player wants to be a mod, then they need to sacrifice a character slot and create a new character who's ties are to CONCORD and the SCC.

The Summit is not an extension of the IGS.

It's CONCORD affiliation is actually rather loose, and with only a few exeptions, the moderators are chosen to represent an ideological spread including empire and faction pirates, and are chosen with an eye towards their reasonable behavior within the channel.  It's actually very meritocratic.

Edit:  Also, requiring potential moderators to sacrifice a character slot is unreasonable since any time moderation was required, they would have to log out of their mains, or pay for a second account.  That's utterly ridiculous for a completely volunteer position.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2013, 11:51 by Tiberious Thessalonia »
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #104 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:54 »

Needs more Caldari moderators. :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8