Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Lonetrek dialect of the Caldari language is sometimes called the "throat infection" dialect?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: First: Simmer down Second: slavery Discussion  (Read 27664 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: First: Simmer down Second: slavery Discussion
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2012, 14:37 »

Lyn, your argument can be boiled down to the same principle as Freedom of Speech. Limiting Freedom of Speech is bad, yeah? Well, except of course for hate-speech... inciting riots perhaps... talking about pedophilia in a kindergarten class... oh my, there's a lot of limitations that are not bad for freedom of anything. In fact, they create more freedoms by making the majority of public space usable by the majority.

The same thing applies to any kind of RP descriptions. As a general rule, freedom of expression is preferable of course. Some shit just won't do anyone any good and would be quite bad for RP.

So in short, limiting emotes/scenery description and so on is a good thing in the same way limiting freedom of speech and other such things are good things.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2012, 14:39 »

It would be a mistake (and has been a mistake) to assume that the Summit has freedom of speech rights anyways, either IC or OOC.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2012, 15:01 »

I see that the main argument for the rule against explicit displays of slaves in the Summit is that "the particular resonance of slaves" is generally something the moderators don't want to have in their channels. With deciding to ban the behaviour that obviously offends a majority of the Summit and apparently not considering there whether the reactions of those offended are really adequate to the 'offense' it seems to me that the moderators decided to keep it civil by following the wishes of the majority.

It's not as much about 'offending' people as some seem to think. It's about getting rid of deliberately disruptive behavior. If we didn't want people to be offended we'd have separate Summits for each faction so that everyone could coexist in their happy little Hello Kitty Online shards. People are going to get offended in the Summit. We're not going to step in in those cases unless it's particularly egregious - we are, however, going to step in when people are trying to be disruptive and/or trolls on purpose. That this particular kind of thing merited a "specific" policy serves only to show exactly how bad it was before the policy was put in place - but it's only as a specific example of the larger "don't be a fucking derp" policy.

My point is that it's usually not merely an action that is disruptive, but that it is a disruptive action given a certain context. Say, you're with 50 people discussing what you like to eat. "Apples" says one, the other prefers Oranges. Now you say "I like steak!" and there the shitstorm breaks loose: You've been to the 20 year anniversary meeting of the FU (Frutarians United) and well, just saying that you like steak disrupted the entire meeting! Well, would one say that stating that one likes steak is in general a 'disruptive action'? No of course not. Is displaying slaves in itself disrupting? No, it as well depends on context. The context being the people in the Summit. And of them, the majority. Becuse the channel is disrupted when someone displays a behaviour that is in fact, I think, so offensive for the majority of the people that they react with being 'disrupted'.

So, the option the moderators go for in this case are pandering to the majority of people in the Summit that are against slavery. I don't think that it is a good choice for the Summit, as the Summit should be about neutrality and being a open venue for all kinds of pilots from New Eden rather than about having a content and big population. Pandering to the majority is good for the latter and bad for the former, it will usually decrease diversity. Similarly, kicking all the people that 'rageface' when they see a slave in Summit would be a solution to enforce civility on the Summit while generally being open to everyone (and would probably solve any trolling issues as well: Not feeding trolls works wonders, usually), but would work against a big and happy community. robably also not the best choice for a channel depending on an active and big community. Maybe there is a middle way somewhere. But how to react here, it's true, that's the decision of the owner/the moderators.

We are not pandering to anyone. Unless "people who aren't trying to troll or be disruptive" counts, in which case, okay, we're pandering to them. Unfortunately, most people aren't brilliant enough to "not feed the trolls", so while that might be ideal, it isn't sufficient - and kicking the people who complain about people being disruptive doesn't exactly seem appropriate to me unless they go way out of bounds with it.

As I tried to point out above, being disruptive isn't a simple quality someone has, it's rather an assymetric relation someone is disruptive to someone else. And so, as far as my understanding goes, if you're pandering to the "people who aren't trying to troll or be disruptive", which usually is the majority which group dynamics determine by what kind of behaviour they are disrupted, then yes, it's the majority. If moderation follows in general this group dynamic, the channel will homogenize and loose diversity.

I think that asking the question why people get so riled up by an emoted slave in that channel is a legitimate question and one that should be raised before banning stuff like 'display of slaves', imho. The same goes for nudity and all other things in general. If the Summit is meant to stay a neutral ground, is it desirable that the people in the channel react with being 'disrupted' to every little emoted 'slave'? I mean, sure, the majority does and a moderator has to deal with that somehow, sure. Still, simply banning the 'disruptive' behaviour will certainly lead to fewer disruptions, but there are sideeffects to it that might not be desirable.

It largely depends on what the Summit is supposed to be about: Neutral ground for all of New Eden? For the pirates as well as the Empire loyalists?

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2012, 15:02 »

I don't get it. It's an IC channel with IC rules. How's that stifling to roleplay?

I also can't believe how much shit these mods are getting for doing what's essentially a free public service. Jackbooted thugs, really?
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2012, 16:06 »

Was it really necessary to quote half a page of text (more lines than I can count) for that response? :|

Anyhow,
I love the idea that a channel I run is 'anti-Amarrian'.

I mean, fuckin LOL.
that is a pretty strong point.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:22 »

A perspective, from someone who currently has only a tenuous connection with EVE RP:

The no slavery rule was the reason I started using The Summit again, after maybe a year when it wasn't a place I could justify Mata engaging. It was very much the diplomatic thing about moderating some behaviours so we could seek common ground over other things: some of the people there were just as much slavers as they'd always been, but when the slavery wasn't directly in one's face we could have conversations and make connections which weren't otherwise possible. That encouraged roleplay, especially across factions, which can be difficult to span unless there are conscious rules about how we handle the things that we're willing to go to war over. I valued that attempt at a shared space where people could meet, and maybe start making the contacts that would eventually lead to change.

It's possible that I was the only person affected by this. *wry*
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012, 20:44 by Matariki Rain »

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2012, 19:43 »

If the core of the problem is that there's a cultural bias to the whole "slaves on cam" thing, why not place a ban on bringing any kind of secondary characters (non-toon alts, NPCs or whatever else you might call them) on cam? So no slaves, but also no family members (unless they're toons in their own right), no hired help, no captured janitors, no slaver hounds, no furriers, no snow leopards, et cetera. In a diplomatic venue, it's reasonable to expect participants to bring nobody but themselves to the the table or cam or what have you.

Is that a solution?
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2012, 20:02 »

This =/= a slave, a catgirl, or a naked gallentean whore.

edit: Let the record show, lest anyone think i am taking sides due to "bias"

That i was FOR removing the ban on slaves.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 20:05 by Ava Starfire »

Desiderya

« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:38 »

If the core of the problem is that there's a cultural bias to the whole "slaves on cam" thing, why not place a ban on bringing any kind of secondary characters (non-toon alts, NPCs or whatever else you might call them) on cam? So no slaves, but also no family members (unless they're toons in their own right), no hired help, no captured janitors, no slaver hounds, no furriers, no snow leopards, et cetera. In a diplomatic venue, it's reasonable to expect participants to bring nobody but themselves to the the table or cam or what have you.

Is that a solution?
Quoted for remarkable insight.

Call it "The slave parade" and set the MOTD to "Slaves, everywhere all the time" and go hog wild with lengthy descriptions of everything from benign treatment up to torture and death games.
Ten forum points for writing this after the first half of your post. You get five bonus points if you notice the irony without outside help.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012, 07:48 by Desiderya »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #69 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:17 »

Jek I <3 you.

I was so tempted to tell everyone whining about Summit moderation to go make their own channel and stop throwing a fit here, but I thought I would get modded for it. This is ridiculous. The whiners are making a sensationalist spectacle, and the moderators are either fanning the flames or outright launching nukes.

Everybody needs to chill out, like the thread title says.

If you don't like the way the Summit is run, make your own channel.
If you are a mod, or Graelyn specifically, and don't like what people are saying about your channel... ban them. Permanantly.
If you are a mod, or Graelyn specifically, and people keep trying to test your limits with this nonsense "lets see how far I can break the rules..." ban them. Permanently.

All this psuedo-civil 'lets talk it out like adults' is fine and dandy when both sides are actually acting like adults.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012, 08:21 by Katrina Oniseki »

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #70 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:23 »

The discussion is escalating because everyone has stated their thoughts and opinions with the echo chamber repeating them ad nauseum. Sprinkle in some trolling (you're welcome) and verbal shit-stirring, and you have yourself a shindig!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #71 on: 15 Nov 2012, 14:42 »

Lyn, your argument can be boiled down to the same principle as Freedom of Speech. Limiting Freedom of Speech is bad, yeah? Well, except of course for hate-speech... inciting riots perhaps... talking about pedophilia in a kindergarten class... oh my, there's a lot of limitations that are not bad for freedom of anything. In fact, they create more freedoms by making the majority of public space usable by the majority.

The same thing applies to any kind of RP descriptions. As a general rule, freedom of expression is preferable of course. Some shit just won't do anyone any good and would be quite bad for RP.

So in short, limiting emotes/scenery description and so on is a good thing in the same way limiting freedom of speech and other such things are good things.

You are right of course. This is why I have absolutely nothing against the rule about civility and courtesy in the Summit and OOC or else it would turn into chaos.

However, I disagree with the last part of the statement here. I might agree, maybe, if the emote description was so thrashy/gore/offending that it could become a matter of OOC decency or whatever. But slaves inclusions are far, far from that and do not fall in that category.

Anyhow,
I love the idea that a channel I run is 'anti-Amarrian'.

I mean, fuckin LOL.
that is a pretty strong point.

I don't see why ? Because he plays an amarrian ? A lot of the mods play slavers. You are basically accusing them of being biaised by their characters alignement.

This =/= a slave, a catgirl, or a naked gallentean whore.

This one is adorable.

Is that a solution?
Quoted for remarkable insight.

I may need a deeper explanation on the why ? That sounds quite absurd to me I have to admit.  :|

Jek I <3 you.

I was so tempted to tell everyone whining about Summit moderation to go make their own channel and stop throwing a fit here, but I thought I would get modded for it. This is ridiculous. The whiners are making a sensationalist spectacle, and the moderators are either fanning the flames or outright launching nukes.

Everybody needs to chill out, like the thread title says.

If you don't like the way the Summit is run, make your own channel.
If you are a mod, or Graelyn specifically, and don't like what people are saying about your channel... ban them. Permanantly.
If you are a mod, or Graelyn specifically, and people keep trying to test your limits with this nonsense "lets see how far I can break the rules..." ban them. Permanently.

All this psuedo-civil 'lets talk it out like adults' is fine and dandy when both sides are actually acting like adults.

Why yes, why not. Not that  I have never thought about it several times.

Any insight on how to do that by making it successful enough to last, especially when directly challenging the very channels that ARE the standard for RP, and without dividing the community even further ?
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012, 14:44 by Lyn Farel »

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #72 on: 15 Nov 2012, 15:05 »

I may need a deeper explanation on the why ? That sounds quite absurd to me I have to admit.  :|

Well, it doesn't really matter one way or the other to me personally. It just seems like a solution that would silence any accusations of bias, whether they are fair or not. The channel already has a little-tolerance policy towards supposed baseliner toons - is it really that much of a stretch to restrict or disallow the appearance of non-toon baseliners as well? As for animals, adorable though they may or may not be, they are still baseliners.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #73 on: 15 Nov 2012, 15:17 »

If someone wants to make a new channel, nothing is stopping them.  I'm not sure I'd call my statements whining, though of course I may be guilty of bias on that level.  I don't think I've ever had a real problem with moderation of the Summit, or these forums.  I've certainly never been moderated (to my knowledge) so either the mods are lazy, or I'm not being naughty enough to get a time out.  Personally, I suspect the latter.

I will say that I don't agree entirely with the slavery rules for the channel, but I see why they are in place and rather than being upset over the rules being in place, I'm more disappointed that a rule had to be made to deal with it that essentially limits what I consider an interesting talking point.  I've always tried to keep Ura's stance on slavery just controversial enough to provoke discussion, while making sure to not throw it in anyone's face to provoke rage.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #74 on: 15 Nov 2012, 15:19 »

As for animals, adorable though they may or may not be, they are still baseliners.

Incoming capsule-grade cybernetically modified slaver hounds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8