Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: Character Portrait Rating  (Read 111889 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: Character Portrait Rating
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2012, 06:10 »

Aelisha, I really like how well you're managin the shadows in a dark picture- the expression goes especially well with it. I'd give it a 10/10, you perfectly hit the stereotype, but for my taste the picture is a bit low on contrast.

"Disgusting heathens..."

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2012, 06:55 »

Istvaan's might ruin my pants if I look too long. The lighting's great, and the way the camera's positioned relative to him and the background is something I've not seen all too much of.

Kentt's, ergh, again, my personal taste get in the way. Not fond of the piercings, but that's just me. The facial structure's a unique one, but c.f. my comments about N'maro's eyes, and shame about the Vherokior slackjaw. :U

Yeliana inspires the greatest dread in me; I'm not sure how much of that is me combining the portrait with the RP, mind, so my comments aren't too valuable here.

Long-haired Lyn is quite a calm looking one -- which fits what I've seen of the character. It's a nice change from some of the LOL, BADASS portraits you see (more in general than in the RP sphere). Shorter hair Lyn, ack, I hate that hairstyle. ._. Again, taste.

Sol terrifies me in all kinds of ways. The angling, lighting and low contrast between clothing, hair and background makes it seem very intimidating; the piercings are an odd and slightly rebellious counterpoint that add a lot, IMO.

Laerise is an interesting attempt at the expression, but it looks slightly odd to me. The way the eyes are shadowed makes them seem different sizes, colours and heights, for me, and as I said on Graelyn's, "I AM AMARR. (Khanid. >_>) BEHOLD, DISAPPROVAL." doesn't do it for me. Well put together, but not my thing.

Here, lolvaun or lolrenaud, or even lolkyber. I'm more here to share my infinite wisdom than to have anyone comment on my portraits. >_>

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2012, 07:14 »

Laerise's eyes remind me of a sort of malevolent death robot, but the rest is attractive enough that I'd pause to gawk long enough to be killed.  I think it's a fine version of the fire and brimstone hatred for all of us lesser races.  As for a rating, I would have a hard time calibrating such a scale, so I'll just leave it at "Good portrait.  Norrin approves."

And here's my own portrait for scathing reproach...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

People often comment about hating the shades.  In all honesty, I never remove them from the portrait because I really never could get the eyes right.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:05 »

Allrighty then.

Yuni
[spoiler]
Yuni's clothing will be changing soon, found some cheap Nex store stuff to spend a bit of the free 5500 Aur we got a while back on. :)
[/spoiler]

Rok
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dilaro
[spoiler][/spoiler]

as for ratings... i'm terrible at doing them.. will spend a little more time looking at people's portraits over the next day or so before i make any comments.

Jev North

« Reply #34 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:44 »

I like Laerise's; I'm just vaguely annoyed at what's happening with the shadows in her left eye socket and environs. Probably because ever since Velarra clued me in about the incredibly poor default lighting and shadow choices available to us, I've been noticing unwanted ones on each and every one of my portrait attempts..

J:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #35 on: 23 Sep 2012, 10:17 »

Allrighty then.

Yuni
[spoiler]
Yuni's clothing will be changing soon, found some cheap Nex store stuff to spend a bit of the free 5500 Aur we got a while back on. :)
[/spoiler]

Yuni is and always has been awesome :) The angle of the head with the blank eyes makes it hard to tell if she is actually looking at you are not, but if she is, she's definitely looking down :P

Only possible gripe is the patch of very dark shadow directly under her chin is a little jarring. 85/100

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #36 on: 23 Sep 2012, 10:33 »

Yuni: I like it, the posture and lighting is good. Blind eyes are a matter of taste (personally I don't like them) - the only thing apart from that is that she's slightly off center to the right. If you'd put her off center to the left the whole dynamic would work better. (9/10)

Rok: A bit bland for my taste, not really as good as the other two of yours. (5/10)

Dilaro: Good job, its sad that the dreadlocks don't look lifelike (shame on you ccp), especially like the slightly stoned/inspired expression. (8/10)

Jev North: Don't really have much to add here, it's a very nice and solid picture. The blurriness is EVE's fault, not yours - if you can somehow get rid of it that'd make it even better. (10/10)
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2012, 10:48 by Laerise [PIE] »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2012, 23:33 »

Heres Gottii.  Hampered in the expression department by the fact that Brutor IC dont seem to be the most overly expressive dudes in the world.  It can be hard trying to make a reserved, stoic expression that looks human.

Some quick points. 

Ghost Hunter -- Yeliana is terrifying.  The doll like beauty and the glint in her eye that says "I could rip your heart out ala Temple of Doom style and not think twice about it" combine to great a very imposing image. 

Kyber -- Your avatar will always have an uncombed toupe and an unshaven face to me.  Kyber's hair is likely still one of the most well-known characters in EVE. 

Istvaan.  -- I love this portrait.  The gaze, the weight in the face that hints at a lifestyle of debauchery, yet the controlled stance of the body, all combine to create something really great.

Lyn  -- Love the long haired Lyn. Looks exotic yet human and familiar at the same time.

« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2012, 23:43 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2012, 23:52 »

Just going to comment those I can scroll back to see while replying.

I like Kentt's picture best of the ones posted so far. The eyes in particular are awesome, gives him a decidedly predatory look. 10/10 on that one, splendid job.

Ghost: Big, vacant eyes, somewhat doll-like in the right, creepy way. Sansharawr. Maybe Yeliana looks a little too life-less, though. I don't know. 8/10

I like short-haired Lyn better than long-haired Lyn, actually. I love that calm, critical expression with the high eyebrow - only wish the hair didn't get in the way of her eyes the way it does. 8/10

Aelisha: I love the character image itself - she looks world-weary and cynical in just the right way. I'm guessing the way her hair and coat blends into the dark background is deliberate, but I'd personally prefer to see the whole outline of her. 9/10

Laerise: She looks mean, and she should. I like the frown, the way it touches the bridge of her nose in particular. I'd personally have liked it better if her entire head was in the picture, though. Also, while I certainly see the rationale for using the background you have, the faction insignia backgrounds get bland quickly, and I don't think it contrasts with her face as well as some other (preferably somewhat darker) background could have done. As it is, the prominent background and the off-to-the-side position of the character diverts some attention away from Lae's face, which is a shame. Still far from a bad pic, though, 7/10.

Norrin: I like it. The character comes off as laidback and casual, simple but neat in style, and the background works well. I'm not able to agree with myself whether the shades add to the casual style in a nice way or if they make him come off as a little too distant, though. 8/10.

Yuni, Rok, Dilaro - I largely agree with Laerise's assessment of all three of them. In Dilaro's case, I'm not a fan of excessive buckles in odd places. 9/10, 5/10 and 7/10, respectively.

Jev: Doesn't really do it for me, sadly. Too much shadow, too little face, and what face there is is turned away. There's a hint of gritty cyberpunk vibe there that's intriguing, but I think you'd retain that even with better lighting. 5/10 as it stands now.

Gottii: For a side view, it actually works really well. I like the background, the lighting and the facial features I can see, though I prefer pics where the characters face the camera. Still, it looks good in this case, 8/10.

My turn, I guess:

Katla:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ruby:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #39 on: 24 Sep 2012, 00:03 »

Kenmain (Hoshisuuvi) for your consideration...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Desiderya

« Reply #40 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:20 »

Istvaan - very nice portrait. Lacks the milkstache, but you can't have everything.
Gotti - Kind of like that portrait. The contrast with the background is very nice.
Graelyn - The original. Only thing I'd criticise would be the cut off top of the portrait.
Silas - I get the theme, but this lipstick? Kinda reminds me of this. :D Looks a bit like a girly color, and as such, I'd defend Ice Queen Veiki-red as the lady's choice.
Laerise - Angry, so angry.
Ael/Sol - seconded, good hand for shadows.

Fun fact: Try to imagine Des-Veiki-Hoshi's portrait side by side, in this order. They could even be in the same goddamn room. That could be the cover of a tremendous buddy exec film.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #41 on: 24 Sep 2012, 13:00 »

I don't think any of the face tats are a good choice because of how limited the selection is, especially for the Minmatar where this is supposed to be a very important and personal thing.  Same goes for the piercing selections, but I also don't like the face piercings because I think they're a cheap way to try and make the character look tough or roguish and just come off as hipstery tripe.

As good as the portraits can look, the chargen still really channelizes us to create archetypal images.  It's a challenge to try and make a character that doesn't immediately give away his or her race and bloodline or just get lost in a mish-mash of random accessories pulled from a very shallow pool of options.

What stood out to me of the portraits posted above--

Saede: The expression is top notch.  I just don't like the face tats for the reasons explained above.

Yubari: The portrait effectively conveys a certain demeanor and attitude, which is definitely hard to do even with the modern chargen.

Veikitamo: Stop copying Hoshi.  She had that look first. :P  Of course, military officers and corporate mavens look a lot alike in the State I suppose. ;)  The propaganda pose is nice, but might work better on one of the space backgrounds.

Des: Bedroom eyes.  That's the phrase I have been looking for.  There was always something about the eye color choice that made me wonder what was going on there.  And, well, face tat mehness.

Graelyn: This is archetypal Amarrian done to perfection.  Not cartoonishly :twirly-moustache: but still very superior and judgemental.

Aelisha: The implant and facepaint makes it look like there's been some interesting work done on that side of her face, so there's a half-woman/half-machine mystique going on that I like.

Kala: I'm not a big fan of the profile shot.  Black makeup doesn't work for me on a freckled redhead.

Silas: Lighting could be brighter.  The look makes me think "cartoon villain".

Istvaan: You are the prototype of conspiratorial guile.

Kentt: Position of the head in the frame and the slant of the shoulders makes it look like the character is meant to be short in stature.  Sunken cheeks suggest he's skinny/ripped as fuck.

Ghost: The green kiss of death.

Lyn: Neck is really skinny, but this is actually one of those portraits where the race and bloodline are not immediately apparent to me.  So definitely props for that.

Sol: Vicious.  This is a dark portrait that works for me.  Deep shadows and extremely dark costume and background scream "I want you to know I'm dangerous".  Can't actually tell that there's an eye implant there, however, so could easily drop it.  Meh about the piercings.

Laerise: Sorry, but that doesn't look angry or judgemental to me.  It looks like she's having a hard time taking a shit.

Norris: Vanilla.  Okay, maybe French Vanilla.

Yuni: I don't know the character from jack, so I can't tell if the double blind eye thing fits.

Rok: Is he sitting down?

Dilaro: Alright.  Cool dreads.  Lighting doesn't work though because the dreads on the right should be in shadow but are being illuminated as if his head wasn't there at all.  Would look at another hairstyle or lighting option.

Jev: Agree that the shadows are hiding too much of her.  The angle, eye focus, and slight smirk suggest some personality traits that you want to convey, but they are kind of lost in all the black.

Gottii: Sweet portrait of your dreads.  This is one profile shot that I guess kinda works for me.  The visible eye is focused right and the shape of the face is conducive to being viewed from this angle.  Keep the beard.

Katla: Not sure if dude or just really ugly bald lady with a miffed librarian expression on her face.

Ruby: What this is I don't even...

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 24 Sep 2012, 13:35 »

Well, I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about art or anything, but I think all of these look pretty good.  Graelyn and Gottii kinda stood out for me, just don't ask me why. 

But I'm a joiner, so here's mine.

Saikoyu (I still miss her hair thingies)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

A'kua (I actually like this version more than the old one)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Chantal D'len (I miss her green hair)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sako Yatori
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And the lone male...

Ha'lak Hanomaa
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I think my characters all when to the DMV of pod pilots for their pictures.  Except Chantal.  Anyway, do your worst. 

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 24 Sep 2012, 13:49 »

IAs good as the portraits can look, the chargen still really channelizes us to create archetypal images.  It's a challenge to try and make a character that doesn't immediately give away his or her race and bloodline or just get lost in a mish-mash of random accessories pulled from a very shallow pool of options.

While I agree with this, I actively tried to make Gottii as archetypically "Brutor" as I could while giving him something of a unique look as possible.  Gallente want to look like individuals.  Tribal or communal based characters would want to look like everyone else. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #44 on: 24 Sep 2012, 15:10 »

I'm linking mine one more time cause no one's done it yet, except for Sid ( ♥ you too Sid )

Saede:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fraxi:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33