Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33

Author Topic: Character Portrait Rating  (Read 111828 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Character Portrait Rating
« Reply #375 on: 10 Dec 2014, 22:22 »

ok, hottest matari chick just got hotter.  purrrrrrr
Not just empty quoting.

(we need a :drool: emoticon just for this thread)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #376 on: 10 Dec 2014, 23:22 »

Kala does not smile  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #377 on: 11 Dec 2014, 00:58 »

I'm an extremely neurotic person when it comes to change, and so haven't messed with my character portrait much in any major ways beyond just shifting her around without changing pose/expression a little in over a year. I'm finally getting sick to death of it now, though, and have sorta decided on a change, but I don't want to commit and lose something I'm vaguely happy with if I end up hating it later. So what do you guys think of something like this?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lyn Farel

« Reply #378 on: 11 Dec 2014, 06:21 »

I have always loved Gwen face.

There are a few things that seem to jump at me first on this pic :

- I preferred her old expression, this one is more difficult to 'grasp' at first. It's less vivid.
- The shadow eats her right cheek and tends to spoil the curves of her face.
- CCP's necks /o\ Have you tried to rotate the body a bit not to twist the neck so much ? Here you seem to have very different orientations between the body, the neck and the head, and not only horizontally, but vertically as well. Also, from past experience I have never been happy with CCP's elongated necks myself so I always tried to hide them with a jacket collar (which might explain why the necks are so long btw, to accomodate collars). Well maybe it's transhuman necks and all, but still.
- She is on the border of the frame, half in, half out. I do not find it very natural, what would it look like if she was at the center ? Does it ruin the pose ?

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #379 on: 11 Dec 2014, 07:15 »

Oh god! I totally missed the thing with the neck. I had to turn her body and head around quite a bit in order to catch the right lighting for the image, but even though they're still in alignment, I guess the shirt is "pinned" to one spot the neck in such a way that it can't move freely within it without streching it out. That is kind of ugly looking.

I made the expression more melancholic mostly just to fit with her advances as a character, but I'm surprised to hear you think it's less vivid. The original was really slight, too, just towards being a smile rather than a frown. And the reason I put her on the far end of the portrait rather than the center was to sort of convey the sense of her looking outward, which is also why she's on the right side, away from most of the features of the background, as well as give a sense of general smallness. Does that not work?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #380 on: 11 Dec 2014, 07:38 »

Actually you are right, I spoke mostly from what I remember and I seem to have remembered wrong. I just went to see the old one again and the new expression is definitely more present.

For the head position, I am not sure that you can render a sense of smallness when you have no reference like the body size or anything else for the eye to compare to. But tbh considering how frail her shoulders and her upper body already look, I think I already got that sense from the beginning, the portrait being on the far end of the frame or not. You can even change the pose (out of the 6-7 ones available) and make the shoulders drop, maybe it can make the body look even thinner.

I don't think the non centered portrait doesn't work though, to the contrary, and I seem to see what you are doing actually. I had a similar portrait early (3/4 face though) entering the frame at the right and looking at the left. No, the more I look at it, the more I find it convincing actually.

Maybe I got all those impressions wrong just because we don't really know what is happening with the shoulders and the arms, it's confusing..

Edit : after 2 hours meditating over it now, I can definitely say it's a good portrait ! The only thing that still annoys me is the shadow eating the right cheek and the upper body pose.  :)

Edit 2 : I don't know if it's just me but does she have an eye always a little more closed than the other one ? It was already the case in your other portraits, and definitely keep that ! It adds a lot.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 09:39 by Lyn Farel »

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #381 on: 16 Dec 2014, 10:12 »

I'm an extremely neurotic person when it comes to change, and so haven't messed with my character portrait much in any major ways beyond just shifting her around without changing pose/expression a little in over a year. I'm finally getting sick to death of it now, though, and have sorta decided on a change, but I don't want to commit and lose something I'm vaguely happy with if I end up hating it later. So what do you guys think of something like this?

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I haven't really RP'd much with Gwen lately, but I remember when she first arrived in The Summit, so naive and timid :)   
I have always thought you captured that with your portraits, hopefully that's what you were going for otherwise I'll  :psyccp:
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #382 on: 22 Dec 2014, 08:07 »

I eventually ended up picking something different after a few tests. I'm not sure if I actually like it or not? Or if it looks weird.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

And yeah, Lyn, the Achur models have a weird glitch where the eyes will break a tiny bit out of where they're supposed to be in the model if you point them in certain directions, creating a sort of weird reflective effect. I did it on purpose originally because it made it look like her eyes were slightly watering - Though some people have said it looks bad, so I might get rid of it.

Karynn

« Reply #383 on: 22 Dec 2014, 09:20 »

I eventually ended up picking something different after a few tests. I'm not sure if I actually like it or not? Or if it looks weird.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

And yeah, Lyn, the Achur models have a weird glitch where the eyes will break a tiny bit out of where they're supposed to be in the model if you point them in certain directions, creating a sort of weird reflective effect. I did it on purpose originally because it made it look like her eyes were slightly watering - Though some people have said it looks bad, so I might get rid of it.

It's a great portrait!

The plain hair-colour, lack of make-up and the comfortable shoulder angle / head / eye direction all strike me as very natural looking.

I had to go to Gwen's character sheet to check her age, because here she looks incredibly young! I'd say 16-18. But that's not a problem, with apparent clone-age being distinct from actual age.

I'm not usually a fan of that particular background, but it does justice to her look. One of the faction backgrounds or grimy interior ones would be well out of place.

Nice work!  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #384 on: 22 Dec 2014, 14:05 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Best Gwen portrait, on par with the 100% Achur one posted months ago somewhere above  8)

And No! Keep the little discrepancies with the eyes, it's one of its best features actually ! It makes her look more real. And it adds a little something extra that makes her unique.

I seem to remember that you did not seem to like floating hair (everything with CCP avatars seem to be designed purely for a layer of jacket it seems... necks, long hair...), and she looks like in underwear or very light clothes ?  :P
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2014, 14:08 by Lyn Farel »

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #385 on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:12 »

Yeah, the hair is really annoying! I wish this game had more/better long styles. At least it doesn't look too awkward here.

I refuse to wear jackets with Gwen, but I might change the shirt, since everyone seem to think she's naked with it. Even though it's only a tanktop.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #386 on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:29 »

Well this haircut suits her well anyhow.

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver
« Reply #387 on: 26 Dec 2014, 11:31 »

Gwen, Karynn and Samira are my favorites! Gwen - because of her youthful naivety (which now seems to turn into sadeness), Karynn - because of being criminally sexy, and Samira - for that calm and stoic look of an Amarr martyr in training.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2015, 04:51 by Tamiroth »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #388 on: 26 Dec 2014, 13:08 »

Hmm, nice, and pretty unique as far as I'm aware. I love the shadowplay.
-OOChé

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #389 on: 13 Jan 2015, 12:49 »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33