Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Does character gender make a difference ?  (Read 9490 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Does character gender make a difference ?
« Reply #45 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:51 »

That explains my uncle.

* Casiella ducks

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:53 »

Men know better about what men really like? You don't say!

[Some] men don't want real women, but prefer fantasy constructs? You don't say!
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:56 »

Gwen, I'd say the Gwen character is an example of a particular personality type (and social role) done rather well. She's fantastic for asking questions and getting people to talk. I also like the occasional dry humour in there. Change her how you like to reflect her experience, but I'm not seeing a need to overhaul her.

ArtOfLight

« Reply #48 on: 10 Aug 2012, 23:10 »

Gwen,

I personally really enjoy Gwen as a character and not because I see her as stereotypically feminine, because I don't. I see her more as someone who is not entirely certain of themselves around those who wield impressive power, wealth and influence and I imagine that stems from her background (which I picture isn't one of wealth, power and influence).

I also don't think she's weak, though Azdan personally thinks she's overly timid at times (which he's told her).

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #49 on: 10 Aug 2012, 23:32 »

Men know better about what men really like? You don't say!

[Some] men don't want real women, but prefer fantasy constructs? You don't say!

I think we learned lots today.  ;)

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver
« Reply #50 on: 11 Aug 2012, 23:47 »

About the OP:

Yes, indeed. Even in EVE, where the player population is supposedly 95% male and everyone knows this, the believable female characters get treated differently. Personally I don't care about gender in computer games at all, except going "meh" and "ugh" from time to time at horrid topless avatars with huge "assets" instantly betraying Barry the Basement Dweller at the controls. But there are, surprisingly, enough people who seemingly do.

But the main difference in RPing a male or female is, from my point of view, the freedom of self-expression and the wider range of socially approved emotions available.

Females are allowed more self-expression than males and the people like them for it. Let's take my character as example: just try to imagine a proper Amarr male (something Azdan Amith-like) writing lengthy blog posts about his childhood toys and dreams, first love, home, family and whatnot.

Gallente one, sure. A college graduate. Even with some poetry and attached pretty "photos", perhaps. But not Amarr or Caldari or Minmatar - those are cultures where gender stereotypes and social roles are much stricter.

The fact that there are "no male blood raiders" really amuses me though. Why?! Evil cultists in robes are cool, much more so than space vampire lesbians :P At least EoM has Koronakesh.

More Palpatines please.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2012, 23:54 by Tamiroth »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 11 Aug 2012, 23:50 »

The fact that there are "no male blood raiders" really amuses me though. Why?! Evil cultists in robes are cool, much more so than space vampire lesbians :P At least EoM has Koronakesh.

More Palpatines please.

Well, duh, no one wants to cyber Palpatine.

(cue in creepy Emperor voice "you want this....dont you..."  )
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver
« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2012, 00:01 »

More Palpatines please.

Well, duh, no one wants to cyber Palpatine.

(cue in creepy Emperor voice "you want this....dont you..."  )
A proper Evil Mastermind in a Hooded Robe must be sexless. It is through the power of his supreme intelligence, charisma and the will of the Blood God that he dominates the universe :P  "...Desires of flesh weaken you, my child. Let them be purged from you, give them up on the altar of our Crimson Lord and know His bliss..." (*minions prepare the bleeding device*) 

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:12 »

I tried to roleplay a female character for a short period of time. I can definitely say that trying to emulate something not resembling the perfect, beautiful woman with amazing cleavage raises eyebrows. I rather intentionally made her homely and celibate, and I came to the same conclusions some have raised here already: male players definitely expect idealized, stereotypically feminine characters in their interactions.

I suppose something that may pop up in a male player's mind when they make a female character to roleplay on is "How do I RP a woman?". And from that question, certain stereotypically feminine characteristics are forced into the character development, leading to what we see now.

Gender definitely does have some impact on character development, but to what degree and how I don't know.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2012, 13:09 »

Infiltration is 100x easier on a female character, especially if you can stay off of voice chat for the first few weeks and leave it ambiguous as to whether or not you are actually female or male IRL.  Women are perceived to be more trustworthy and guys always take that extra step to impress them (give out more info than they should, for instance).

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #55 on: 12 Aug 2012, 13:17 »

Infiltration is 100x easier on a female character, especially if you can stay off of voice chat for the first few weeks and leave it ambiguous as to whether or not you are actually female or male IRL.  Women are perceived to be more trustworthy and guys always take that extra step to impress them (give out more info than they should, for instance).

Confirmed. I'm already a director.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2012, 22:23 »

Well may as well weigh in :)

An extreme example would be the handful of EoM people.
The female EoM pilot, people say "oh hello, how is your day" and other polite conversations.
The male EoM pilot, there is a lot more "Oh, it's the death cultist. Burn anyone today?" and so on.
This is indeed more-or-less the case! Particularly among anyone who wouldn't know who my character or corp actually are, or simply don't care (I'm looking at you, Tarunik :eek:). But first impressions with my kindly old lady character have generally been positive with most anyone. Whenever I do poke her nose into a public channel, such as the Summit, it's often the Amarrian hardliners that will be the first to scorn her. I like that a lot. Really, she ought to be condemned. That's the kind of dynamic I was after when her concept was just forming; the pious old villain lady with a heart of gold. I really don't think this would work the same with a male character at all, where she would've likely been painted as another Koronakesh then treated as such from the start.

So yes, I believe it does make a difference, and I did make the decision to create Safai as a female based on this. "The Baroness to Koro's Cobra Commander" is an analogy I like to use ... or, for those that remember ME1 well enough, perhaps "The Benezia to Koro's Saren."

However, my prior character, who some may recall, was also female but really very male. She talked like a man, acted like a man, and (perhaps most importantly) looked like a man, which was also by design. But it's hard to tell if this really affected the way her chats played out because she was also a huge dick to most people. She was never meant to be likeable. (But re: full time ass is another thread ...) In any case that character is no longer mine, so onward into the future.

More Palpatines please.
Oh man, for real. I've wondered about that before too. Space vampire lesbian fantasies aside, I seriously wonder where all the male Blood Raiders are hiding.

I'd actually like more Palpatine types of any sort, be it a sicko cultist or Orthodox Amarrian. I'm talking about a ghoulish, non-holder, speaker-of-truths style man, who can't help but disturb anyone he is talking to. This character type would be off the scale of the female-male spectrum when it comes to the approachability and interaction being discussed in this thread, and admittedly not everyone's cup of tea, but you'd think there would be at least a handful of people who are into playing that other than my lovably creepy CEO.

Also, FWIW, the Seekers' M/F character ratio is currently 5/2.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #57 on: 22 Aug 2012, 00:34 »

Something interesting on forbes.com. In an analysis of activity and engagement on different social networks. A study found that:

Twitter: It isn’t particularly shocking, but users tweet at, and engage with females much more than they do males ...

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #58 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:45 »

Yes, it makes a difference.

Yes, I'm also going to act differently around women in real life.

Sorry, ladies.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #59 on: 28 Dec 2012, 08:01 »

I believe Synthia is probably treated far more gently than she would if she was a male character.

There was an incident recently, where a male Gallente character was doing some curious things relating to connecting his brain to a rogue drone thing.
iirc, it did not turn out at all well.
People were very hostile towards that particular character.

Yet Synthia is seemingly considered one of the more well regarded users of "the Summit". Is it just her calm, polite manner? or is it because she's a pleasant (if somewhat plain) looking youngish woman. Or has that appearance, anyway.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5