Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Does character gender make a difference ?  (Read 9479 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Does character gender make a difference ?
« on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:10 »

I believe there is a substantial difference in how characters are treated based on their gender.

Amarr Religious types, if they are female, I believe have a considerably easier time of things than Male Amarr religious people.

Examples would include the female Holder that mentions her estates, servants and such. People make polite conversation with her.
the male Holder, gets accused of all sorts.

An extreme example would be the handful of EoM people.
The female EoM pilot, people say "oh hello, how is your day" and other polite conversations.
The male EoM pilot, there is a lot more "Oh, it's the death cultist. Burn anyone today?" and so on.

Blood raiders, too, but there appears to be like, no male blood raiders. At All. what gives there?

This is not a phenomenon that is confined to Amarr religious types. I have observed it in other situations.

So, to me, it looks like if you want to create a char to explore a controversial thing, you'd have a far easier time of it if the char is female.

So, have you seen this?
\o/

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
Re: Does character gender make a difference ?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:20 »

One million percent yes.

I started up a female alt(Quite a long time ago) and in comparison to my male alts and Logan it's not only ridiculously easy to get some form of interaction with her in comparison with all the male alts. The RP through her is also much better because of the level of what I would call 'buy-in' that happens when she came online. People would convo her, invite her to go and do things, join channels, party, etc.

I thought for a while that it was because I was spending more time on the female alt actively trying to RP than I was on Logan so I put her away and refocused on Logan, putting him in same/similar situations that generated RP for her, and got nothing, or at least next to nothing.

I wonder a bit about the state of RP in this manner though, where Men are less likely to talk to one another than if a woman walks into the room (hey look it's the opposite of real life nerds). I am pretty guilty of this as well, but am working towards being better engaging with other men in conversations and making the effort so to speak. Like it is rare for Logan to know another man in some other corp that he's not flown with before, but to be on a first name basis with women he flies against, or could fly against if I ever undocked.  :bear:

ArtOfLight

« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:45 »

I try not to engage in this, as I try to engage every character the same way regardless of their gender - I'm more interested in how they portray themselves, how they interact and so on.

I've also never played a female character so I don't know if it's easier or not. I can really only attest that trying to play a male Amarr religious character has proven very difficult on a social level.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:56 »

I try not to engage in this, as I try to engage every character the same way regardless of their gender - I'm more interested in how they portray themselves, how they interact and so on.

I've also never played a female character so I don't know if it's easier or not. I can really only attest that trying to play a male Amarr religious character has proven very difficult on a social level.

Were eve 'real' this would be much easier as there are far, far, far more religious male amarr than any other race, with the Empire being the most populated of the four by a large %.  There is a dearth of Amarr males in RP-world but in the fictional world you'd have plenty of company.

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2012, 12:49 »

I do find it curious how well Red gets along with most people, as I've been trying to get her to rub certain people the wrong way in an attempt to stay IC. I'm not sure if I'm playing the "Gallente Female" role extremely well (work hard/play hard, infectious zest for life, etc.), or if, you know... she's a redhead with a great rack.

I like to flatter myself and think it's both >.>;

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2012, 13:28 »

In a game environment dominated by males, It's hard to be surprised by a surplus of lesbians and special treatment for females. Plus, I think there is a bit of a social stigma with males, in that they are not allowed to express their full range of emotions (like vulnerability) without being perceived as weakness.

I should make a male character just for the challenge.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:15 »

(M)any (M)en (O)nline (R)ole (P)laying (G)irls

EVE is no different
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:24 »

In general, I go out of my way prefer to interact with women (character or real world) over men. I can pick from a plethora of reasons, but I simply find it much more mentally engaging.

Edit ; Slight changing of wording, as the context was a bit off.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2012, 15:10 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Jev North

« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:27 »

I know it exists, but I haven't noticed the effect in EVE quite as much as I have in some other games.

This might be in part because my main character can pass for male fairly well?

ArtOfLight

« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:29 »

I know it exists, but I haven't noticed the effect in EVE quite as much as I have in some other games.

This might be in part because my main character can pass for male fairly well?

I confess to thinking Jev was a male for the longest time. >.>

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:32 »

In general, I go out of my way to interact with women (character or real world) over men. I can pick from a plethora of reasons, but I simply find it much more mentally engaging.

This. It's also why I prefer to use a female character for RPing.

Will probably respond in more detail later, have to wrap up some stuff here at work so I can go home. /o\
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:37 »

In a game environment dominated by males, It's hard to be surprised by a surplus of lesbians and special treatment for females. Plus, I think there is a bit of a social stigma with males, in that they are not allowed to express their full range of emotions (like vulnerability) without being perceived as weakness.

I should make a male character just for the challenge.

The gender stereotypes and accompanying labels that aim to push people back into the traditionally ascribed roles cuts both ways.  If a woman comes across as 'strong' or 'emotionally distant' they are b****es.

See the current "not impressed" memes about McKayla Maroney floating around.

If it's a male athlete being broodsome and angsty after placing 2nd, you'd probably hear something along the lines of "that's the mark of an exceptional competitor, they never give themselves a break.  Always clawing, always striving for that next ledge, pushing themselves just a little further all the time."  But for a woman to do the same results in being called 'snobby', a 'brat' or a 'diva'.

Also, just heard this on the radio yesterday:
http://www.npr.org/2012/08/08/158433079/virtual-harassment-gets-real-for-female-gamers

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:57 »

she's a redhead with a great rack

its why gender makes a difference  :oops:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 09 Aug 2012, 14:59 »

I don't know. I have always had 100 times more success with male avatars than female avatars, except maybe on eve (but I have never played a male avatar on eve). Ok, especially with female players that loved one of my male character on another game, but also male players (so I guess it was more universal ? I hope...).

On another hand, people sure have been more... polite or courteous with Lyn as a female than if she had been a male. But that's pretty much it : courtesy. Nothing more really. She suffers of the same considerations from other characters than male characters when she deals with controversial things.

There was also the case of Elizabeth Vea. The lynching she had to face looks like any gender would have faced the same thing.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #14 on: 09 Aug 2012, 17:19 »

I'm not sure if I'm playing the "Gallente Female" role extremely well (work hard/play hard, infectious zest for life, etc.), or if, you know... she's a redhead with a great rack.

Competition eh..? :3

I do actually agree with this. More than a year ago, I started up a female khanid alt who wished independence from the Empire. Nobody batted an eyelid, and in fact quite a few people seemed rather keen to help. If it had been a male character, I expect there would have been rather more cries of 'heretic!'  :P

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5