Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Federal member states retain control of their home systems, as seen exercised here?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Loosening the straps (ooooh).  (Read 23246 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Loosening the straps (ooooh).
« Reply #75 on: 06 Aug 2012, 06:02 »

That being said, how many characters have come into the summit as "Slaves" and are just there to shit things up? "Oh poor me, help me! I cant escape! Oh, well, I can, but my holder is so nice to me and... and... he touches me there!"

That is exactly it. This is what frustrates me so much with this current discussion. This is not about slavery, this is about people with discutable BDSM fantasies using slavery as a tool for their fantasies.

This is exactly why I have a lot of difficulties to cope with arguments in favor of a general ban of slavery, when slavery has very little to do with it eventually. If people are mods, they use their brains, they are not here to play the bureaucrat stupidly applying coercitive rules not even limiting OOC bad behavior (I am all for coercitive anti stupid OOC rules), but IC behavior. Do not take this as a judgement against the mods, they do their jobs. Take this as a remark against people trying to regulate everything even when unecessary, counterproductive, or just totally out of place. And here I do believe it is totally out of place.

I beg you again, do not start to shun decent slavers for what other morons do with slavery. But if you eventually do it, do not be surprised if you start to get a lot of IC flak for ostracism and loss of neutrality.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2012, 06:06 by Lyn Farel »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #76 on: 06 Aug 2012, 08:46 »

Lyn, what is "discutable"?

And given the makeup of the moderator list and the owner of the channel, calling it IC would be more than a little myopic.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #77 on: 06 Aug 2012, 09:12 »

Starfire and Lyn. have it exactly correct.

Slavery is not the issue, attention-whoring shittery is the issue.  Ban and move on. 

:)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #78 on: 06 Aug 2012, 14:34 »

Lyn, what is "discutable"?

And given the makeup of the moderator list and the owner of the channel, calling it IC would be more than a little myopic.

Sorry, debatable. Too many french roots in english, its confusing. :|

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #79 on: 06 Aug 2012, 14:41 »

(Side note: English is the linguistic equivalent of the bastard child of a Norman knight and a Saxon bar wench. :) )

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #80 on: 06 Aug 2012, 21:11 »

Some say English is a language which borrow words from other languages.

This is untrue.

English is language which ambushes other languages in the dark, drags them into an alley, clubs them over the head and steals any useful bits they may have.

- Praphrased from a novel I read once. Can't remember which now.

Back on topic: I believe that some of the moderators have an interest in having "rules" because it is easier for us to deal with offenders in the short term if we can point to a rule and say "...no, you violated THIS." than have to deal with the extended back-and-forth about moderator bias and what not.

At the same time, the best rules are the flexible ones, IMO.

So, it comes down to the apparent impartiality of the mod team vs. the ability to flexibly handle any situation. I'd love to lean more toward the latter, but if a mod moves without a specific rule being violated (and sometimes even with) it seems like an inevitability they'll be accused of moderator bias, arguments breed resentment, appeals will be tossed around forever, etc...
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #81 on: 07 Aug 2012, 02:05 »

No Posted Rules.

Yes, people will then accuse the mods of Bias.

Fine.

Mod better be used to that sort of shit.

There's a certain person out there who, as soon as kicking/banning proceedings was mentioned, they aproached me with a diatribe that started with "...and I have a degree in American Law, and as per code This and That, evidence is necessary for..."

NO.

I THINK NOT.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012, 02:08 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #82 on: 07 Aug 2012, 02:07 »

No Posted Rules.

There's a certain person who, as soon as kicking/banning proceedings was mentioned, they aproached me with a diatribe that started with "...and I have a degree in American Law, and as per code This and That, evidence is necessary for..."

NO.

I THINK NOT.

+1

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #83 on: 07 Aug 2012, 06:25 »

+2, but then I'm biased.  :lol:
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #84 on: 07 Aug 2012, 06:53 »

+3
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #85 on: 07 Aug 2012, 08:23 »

+4

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #86 on: 07 Aug 2012, 08:58 »

+5 As a degree holder myself, I will always look down on the academic flotsam who feel that it gives them the right to flex their muscles on a damned forum or game. 

Academic Hard Man personas should be saved for the peer review process, not a virtual entertainment environment. 

Jev North

« Reply #87 on: 07 Aug 2012, 09:07 »

I'm of the opinion that being an academic hard man and flexing your massive brain-muscle is perfectly legitimate if you're, you know. Right. Or at least contributing materially to the discussion.

Trying to dictate standards on someone else's venue is neither.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #88 on: 07 Aug 2012, 09:52 »

Im of the opinion a degree in something importantish doesnt make you not an idiot.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #89 on: 07 Aug 2012, 10:11 »

Im of the opinion a degree in something importantish doesnt make you not an idiot.

Couldn't agree more.  Not only that, the need to throw a few letters into the ring to validate your (the indirect use of the word!) argument is a red flag for a lack of well constructed argument.  In a virtual domain, with only text as our contribution to the landscape of a channel, the quality of one's contribution can be easily surmised without going "well what you said was meaningless s**t, but lets waive that because you sat through 3/4 years of education - if you even did at all". 

We're peers, sometimes friends (collectively speaking), role-playing or discussing role-play in an internet spaceship game.  Whether you're a BA, BEng King, Queen or Emperor doesn't matter.  You're just another dubiously implemented python client waiting to be blown to bits and told you aren't good enough in more ways than even the most inventive bootcamp Sarge can imagine.  So let's leave pretention aside and judge by action alone (individually and on 'topical' elements), as seems to be suggested by the moderators.  A blanket ban on a behaviour because of the few who ruin it, distasteful as it is, is the only way to prevent such infractions from being the sum total of debate and communication within a moderation team.  In a choice between a crippled administrative process and a few space slavers not playing leash and collar games on a chatroom, the answer is clear to me. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8